Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

todays crowd 11,500 ?

Haven’t renewed my season ticket for me and youngest son (now 24) but went today with that dilemma that I know many have. Don’t want to put money in the owners pockets but don’t want to forgo the father son bonding stuff. This is my justification for going today. But my question is around the reported size of today’s crowd. So last night after to many beers I had a bet with a Charlton supporting mate on the size of today’s crowd (nearest wins) I went with 6,500 he called 10,000. So has won on 11,500 odd. I am old enough to remember the days when clubs used fiddle the attendances declaring much lower numbers than the actual (probably to avoid tax) now I know the attendance figures today will include sold season tickets and away fans but I am struggling to see how the club can report 11,500 odd unless they are counting thousands of freebees that never got used.

Comments

• Options
    johnboy59 said:

Haven’t renewed my season ticket for me and youngest son (now 24) but went today with that dilemma that I know many have. Don’t want to put money in the owners pockets but don’t want to forgo the father son bonding stuff. This is my justification for going today. But my question is around the reported size of today’s crowd. So last night after to many beers I had a bet with a Charlton supporting mate on the size of today’s crowd (nearest wins) I went with 6,500 he called 10,000. So has won on 11,500 odd. I am old enough to remember the days when clubs used fiddle the attendances declaring much lower numbers than the actual (probably to avoid tax) now I know the attendance figures today will include sold season tickets and away fans but I am struggling to see how the club can report 11,500 odd unless they are counting thousands of freebees that never got used.

That's exactly how.
  • Options
    There will come a game when only 900 people are there but they will announce 10000. The clue for the idiots is the word attendance.
  • Options
    TBF, if there wasn't 11,500 in the ground today, it still looked a much better crowd than most people were expecting.
  • Options
    West and North West
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wait until Tuesday, you will be lucky to see 5,000 in the ground
  • Options
    I suspect the gate on Tuesday will be a lot less than 11,500.
  • Options

West and North West

Can't be many more than 1500 in that pic?
  • Options
    If they were smart, they would have closed the West Upper
  • Options
    The east appeared to be filled with comps, the lower north looked under the number of season tickets sold there. I would guess the comp turnout was reasonable (more than 50 per cent) but there is absolutely no way you would get more than 85 per cent of season tickets holders, e.g. 5,000 out of 6,000 - absolutely nailed on shortfall.

No way the ground was 42% full overall. Can see Tuesday being 9,500 official and 7,500 in the stadium (assuming 500 Shrews).
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    I was there today and I would definitely say there was well over 10k ( partially thanks to the Northampton fans) but I guess we will never know .
  • Options
    Agree that the attendance was way below 11.5k but the atmosphere wasn't too bad to be fair - we are fortunate the Valley has decent acoustics.
  • Options

I was there today and I would definitely say there was well over 10k ( partially thanks to the Northampton fans) but I guess we will never know .

I should think from experience and observation the west was under 20 per cent full and the north under 30 per cent. We know there were 1,283 from Northampton (which will be pretty accurate).

If there were 1,500 in the west and 3,000 in the north and the quadrants, the east stand would need to be at capacity to achieve the announced attendance. It wasn't.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

TBF, if there wasn't 11,500 in the ground today, it still looked a much better crowd than most people were expecting.

How many do you think were there?
  • Options
    What was the crowd for the first home game in 2011-12 season? Against Bournemouth if my memory serves me correctly.
  • Options

Officially not happening as 5300'ish season ticket holders.
  • Options

Officially not happening as 5300'ish season ticket holders.
    More now. Say 6,000.
  • Options
    johnboy59 said:

As a young lad I was always amazed by the figures given for the Cup games against Ipswich, Watford & Spurs between 83-85. Seemed more in there than announced. Now it appears to be the opposite.
  • Options
    West=2,000
    East=1,800
    North=2,000
    South=1,300
    Corners=250
    TOTAL=7,350
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

johnboy59 said:

As a young lad I was always amazed by the figures given for the Cup games against Ipswich, Watford & Spurs between 83-85. Seemed more in there than announced. Now it appears to be the opposite.
    Those were the days, probably still the then largest official capacity league ground or close to it and you couldn't have put the proverbial fag paper between fans and they'd announce a 20k crowd...
  • Options
    There was a safety limit of 20,000. Despite that the club announced crowds that exceeded it - but I think they had to show some respect to it.

Also they could only count people who entered through the official entrances!
  • Options

West=2,000
    East=1,800
    North=2,000
    South=1,300
    Corners=250
    TOTAL=7,350

My best guestimate is 1600 in the West from the photo earlier. You could be pretty close to reality.
  • Options
    Not a bad crowd seeing as we had roughly 5000 boycotting