Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post match: Charlton 1-1 Northampton

Was it a load of cobblers?

Comments

• Options
    I hope Holmes was actually injured because otherwise the decision to swap him for Botaka must go down as the worst substitution I have seen for a long time.

As for everything else - Bauer back in for Konsa on Tuesday please. Magennis will be a good foil for Ajose in time. Jacko is the same old analogy of not doing anything in the whole game other than the minor fact of scoring the equaliser. Proved my call for a sub wrong but was the weaker player in the game overall compared to Crofts who looked better than I expected.

Botaka - early days but looked a bit turd to me.

Holmes the star - didn't look injured to me so explain the sub Russ.

As for our prospects, a team who smashed league 2 should be mid table. If we can get two centre mids in and keep Lookman we have a chance at doing something but we need a midfield that isn't bypassed so easily.
  • Options
    Rossman92 said:

Holmes and Magennis shouldn't have been taken off. Slade may have gotten that wrong but I'm glad to have a point

Dont forget Holmes was taken off against Cheltenham as had a problem with his foot so the issue may not have gone away.
  • Options

Rossman92 said:

Holmes and Magennis shouldn't have been taken off. Slade may have gotten that wrong but I'm glad to have a point

Dont forget Holmes was taken off against Cheltenham as had a problem with his foot so the issue may not have gone away.
    Fair enough. The consenus on Twitter was that we got weaker when he came off. Better to be cautious I suppose
  • Options
    To be honest before the game I thought we would get beat 0-1 because our centre midfield just isn't good enough. So when we went 1 down and it was half time, it was anything surprising.

We could have won it, but we lack that quality edge. We need energy in the middle to stitch things together, we cant hope to feed Ajose on a turn of good quality and hope he does the rest. The longer we starve him of semi decent service, the more his confidence will dwindle.

But, its not a defeat, we scored, JJ showed (again) he has a part to play and we can only grow....quicker if we sign a bit more energy and positivity in centre mid.

Crap goal to have conceded, but with a kid at centre half and the new Pearce, it wasn't too surprising for me. Should have started Bauer imo, but more fitness time for him can only benefit us.

Still not positive, bad week for the club, but some positive transfer intentions will at least help.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The shape of things to come. To those that didn't renew good desicion so far.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    I wasn't at the game, but we are probably a decent midfielder away from challenging at the moment. Was my assessment before and remains so.
  • Options

I wasn't at the game, but we are probably a decent midfielder away from challenging at the moment. Was my assessment before and remains so.

I don't think we are far away . On today's second half performance we just need a bit of pace in midfield .
  • Options
    Didn't go but based on stats on score center we had 60% possession which is good to see, 17 shots, 6 on target, so a complete contrast to last week. this shows we are improving, would be nice to keep lookman start him instead of Jacko and a new CM/Creative player in the middle
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited August 2016
    Charlton need some energy & creativity in midfield or will struggle to be competitive in this division. It is very evident to lots of Charlton supporters. Lets hope it is evident to Duchatelet & Meire. Given that the club has sold Gudmundsson for 2.5 million & Cousins for 1.4 million, it is not too much to ask for.
  • Options
    Definitely improved second half and thought we played well enough to win. Holmes going off took the sting out of us a bit. If we can get a central midfielder with a bit of pace and creativity then think we will be fine. Actually enjoyed the second half
  • Options
    Not playing like a team yet but there are promising signs ...was going to miss Tuesday but will be going now ...each game should be an improvement
  • Options
    As for the game we were both equally good and bad in phases.

Before the game I told @cafc luke that Jacko would score with his feet for the first time in a few years! And what a way to do it. Haven't gone that mental in a long time. Love that man so much.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Terrible first half, much improved second half. Slade's Charlton still very much a work in progress, and he should be very, very grateful for Jackson's goal.
  • Options

The bigger worry in that case is that we are a handful of injuries/suspensions away from being in trouble. Again.
  • Options
    First half looked nervous and stood off. Second we came out with a bit of purpose and seemed to stun them a bit. Great finish from JJ, still think we lack a midfielder who can use his pace and agility to spring defence from attack.
  • Options
    How many saves did their keeper make?
  • Options
    First half we looked like a team that's not has a lot of game time together. Second half we were getting v our act together. Botaka's first outing so we can give him the benefit of the doubt in that he probably wanted to impress and it didn't happen.
  • Options

Went today as I wanted to gauge the atmosphere and see how the season might shape up.

Based on the ninety minutes I witnessed I will make some very early and judgemental observations and predictions. ( Luckily I didn't make them at half time which is probably the lowest I've felt as a Charlton fan.)

The Valley will never be a 'fortress' if we play like we did in the first half. The most insipid, uninspiring performance I have witnessed.

Crofts and Foley can be filed under the word 'tidy.' However, there isn't a creative intent amongst either of them. A most uninspiring combination.

Konsa is a fine footballer. He reads the game, can play himself out of trouble and has the ability to go very far. He needs to improve in the air but aside fro, a few misplaced passes I thought he had a decent game.

I was underwhelmed by Pearce. Doesn't have the presence I was expecting but willing to give him time.

Solly is class. We all know that if course but in this league he really stands out.

Ajose was anonymous first half due to how we played. Second half when we played with a higher tempo he was always involved. Created a couple of chances for himself. He needs to have chances created for him by others to be the player he was last season.

Magennis ran around a lot and worked hard but I didn't really see him outmuscle or out jump anyone. Again, will give him time.

Holmes started well but faded I thought. This coincided with him starting to have to do too much by himself. He also received a couple of heavy tackles. An exciting player to watch.

Slade has to take responsibility for the shocking first half. We played long ball after long ball and got nowhere. Credit him for a half time team talk that made a difference.

I also believe the decision to drop Johnson was not football related. I can see him being frozen out further.

There was one anti Katrien song and nothing sung about RD.

Despite the second half performance today was another sorry day to be a Charlton fan. The crowd, the atmosphere, the general apathy was som ore evident than before. I'm not proud to say I was fairly happy to see us lose today if it hurried up the regime's departure.

Finally. I don't care where he plays just make sure Johnnie Jackson is on the pitch when we play at The Valley. He had a good game today and popped up with yet another vital goal and equally passionate celebration. Quite frankly, aside from Solly, there is nobody in the squad who carries a team and a crowd like he can.

Brilliant sums up how I feel/felt today!
    To have 11,000 fans there with 1,300 away and at least 2k freebies shows you the problem!
    Will be interesting to see how people feel towards the regime if we start winning -as I'm desperate for KM & RD to not be given the chance to sweep what's happened under the rug, something I can see happening should things go well!