Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Objectives of the Regime

Taking a step back from the justifiable outrage, has it been discussed elsewhere that this is an intentional ploy from KM/RD? Presumably they have a reasonable degree of intelligence and foresight (based on their non-footballing CVs). To me, it's inconceivable that they could send "that latter" to someone who they acknowledge is outspoken on social media and not expect it to end up on social media.

Which leads to the conclusion that to create this [another] negative PR frenzy was actually the intention of the letter. Can't think what the intention of that would be, mind, unless it truly is to 'cleanse' the club of passionate supporters and have us replaced by these fictional people who want to spend Saturday afternoon's watching terrible football played by a club they don't support but can provide a 'great' family day out. And of course to encourage such vitriol that they can try [and fail] to paint that picture all of us as extremists. But it's just so misguided in doesn't make sense... What are they trying to do!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere within other threads..

Comments

• Options

Taking a step back from the justifiable outrage, has it been discussed elsewhere that this is an intentional ploy from KM/RD? Presumably they have a reasonable degree of intelligence and foresight (based on their non-footballing CVs). To me, it's inconceivable that they could send "that latter" to someone who they acknowledge is outspoken on social media and not expect it to end up on social media.

Which leads to the conclusion that to create this [another] negative PR frenzy was actually the intention of the letter. Can't think what the intention of that would be, mind, unless it truly is to 'cleanse' the club of passionate supporters and have us replaced by these fictional people who want to spend Saturday afternoon's watching terrible football played by a club they don't support but can provide a 'great' family day out. And of course to encourage such vitriol that they can try [and fail] to paint that picture all of us as extremists. But it's just so misguided in doesn't make sense... What are they trying to do!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere within other threads..

Intelligence possibly. Foresight, almost certainly not. There are countless examples of their lack of foresight.
  • Options
    obviously there are countless examples. But reading today's statement it's like they wanted to create a reason for them to be able to post a statement that they think presents us as mad and the club as rationale protectors of the peace.
  • Options
    There are times when an explanation of "there's no such thing as bad publicity" could be used for motive, but I think they genuinely did this without thinking much of it. As others have said, this or something similar will be signed by staff, and may have been used in the past. It's just this went viral.
  • Options
    My worry is that they don't actually care about all the bad publicity...

The poor performances, declining attendances, and empty Valley will give them an excuse to sell the ground.
  • Options
    ghe only objective I can see is trying to piss as many people off as possible. Going well so far.
  • Options
    They're trying to destroy our club, our lives and ultimately our planet
  • Options
    they want rid of Charlton Life, huge fans of ITTV...
  • Options

My worry is that they don't actually care about all the bad publicity...

The poor performances, declining attendances, and empty Valley will give them an excuse to sell the ground.

I wouldn't be too dismissive of this idea. I honestly believe Duchatelet’s end game is to own the ground separate to the club.
    Minimum.
  • Options
    I just think they're paranoid. Lost it. Not playing with a full pack of cards.
  • Options
    has anyone got any idea what the combined resell value of the Valley and Sparrows lane would be. I'm making an assumption that they would sell the land for redevelopment and allow the developers to draw up plans and get planning permission.

I have assumed that the sale of our land assets would not cover the investment he has put in the club, but is this a correct assumption?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Who knows what the thinking was behind this letter (if, and in so far as, any real thought was given to it). It's probably a combination of things, including a thoroughly misguided attempt to cow supporters and a document that they can wave at the EFL at a later stage to show that they are doing all they can to minimise any disruption to games etc.

What is very curious is why the letter is so vague and lacking in detail, particularly when compared to the statement issued by the club earlier this afternoon. Not satisfactory on a number of levels.
  • Options
    I imagine if he chooses to let the club flounder and we plummet down the leagues, he can afford to let that happen. For a few years.
    Although there may be issues with planning permission and the AVC on the ground currently he might be calculating that having this amount of land near London will eventually bring him a return when he wangles his twisted way round the rules to get his way to make himself some more money.
    People have stated that he will not get anywhere near the money he has invested by proceeding down this route, but unless his plan is to run Charlton as a League One club, what is he doing? His current strategy for promotion looks a little flawed.
    Whatever the man is up to, I doubt very much it will benefit Charlton Athletic FOOTBALL club.
    Is there anyone qualified on here to give a good assessment of how and if RD could get his money back and more by future development on the land where the Valley currently resides?
    Apologies if this has been clarified before, but the business strategy seems so bizarre at this club, and the attitude to its "customers" so negative, it prompts such speculation.

• Options
    3blokes said:

I imagine if he chooses to let the club flounder and we plummet down the leagues, he can afford to let that happen. For a few years.
    Although there may be issues with planning permission and the AVC on the ground currently he might be calculating that having this amount of land near London will eventually bring him a return when he wangles his twisted way round the rules to get his way to make himself some more money.
    People have stated that he will not get anywhere near the money he has invested by proceeding down this route, but unless his plan is to run Charlton as a League One club, what is he doing? His current strategy for promotion looks a little flawed.
    Whatever the man is up to, I doubt very much it will benefit Charlton Athletic FOOTBALL club.
    Is there anyone qualified on here to give a good assessment of how and if RD could get his money back and more by future development on the land where the Valley currently resides?
    Apologies if this has been clarified before, but the business strategy seems so bizarre at this club, and the attitude to its "customers" so negative, it prompts such speculation.

On the upside, time isn't on his side. If he started planning applications today to redevelop the two sites he might find there are not enough years left in his life.
    I know it's not a nice subject, (someone's death), but he did come up with a DoD calculation himself.
    It wouldn't worry me if he was a little optimistic with his sums.
  • Options
    I love a conspiracy theory. This bloke is a multi multi millionaire. If he wants to be a property developer there are far easier and less risky ways of doing it than buying a foreign football club and running it into the ground. I'm not saying he doesn't have designs to build some flats at The Valley but the rest is I think nonsense.
  • Options
    I don't think they are purposely trying to ruin the club, it would only ultimately hurt resale value. However I do believe they are grossly incompetent. I know this is hindsight now but a 30 year old with no experience running a business and no experience in football, communications, etc is a horrible idea. People with a professional services background (and I am one of them) may be intelligent but our skill set is often very specialized in order to succeed (in KM's case, contract law) and not necessarily very consistent with the common sense needed to run a successful business
  • Options
    To suggest that these these gaffs are carefully orchestrated media stunts gives these bozos way, way too much credit.

Who would be thinking up such a scheme? Roland couldn't give a shit, Tony can barely get a coherent sentence out so that leaves our favourite dullard sixth former CEO to come up with this stuff on her own.

Nope.
  • Options
    Spot-on, they're just downright incompetent.