Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Under 21s (Match updates and news)

Comments

• If he can only do as well as the U23s then we might as well offer to take Joao on a season loan.
  • U23s do not have a red kit yet hence the white kit.
  • Ross said:

So that's 2 matches that the U23s have worn the third kit that will only be used in an emergency.

Why can't we but it?
  • https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/599f01484dfbd/u23-preview-charlton-v-huddersfield-town

Being played at the Valley 2.00 pm KO

Also being shown on Valley Pass for free
  • Yay!!!!!!!!! I will be watching then.

Okay yeah I admit that was a bit too much excitement.
  • https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/599f01484dfbd/u23-preview-charlton-v-huddersfield-town

Being played at the Valley 2.00 pm KO

Also being shown on Valley Pass for free

Free to watch on Valley Pass - all you have to do is login/register but you don't have to purchase any premium subscription.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2017
    So far think Lapslie has looked good. Edwards is clearly technically gifted. Bowry looks very good on the ball for a center back and as I wrote that he played a raking cross field 50 yard ball. Beeney looks more comfortable in his kicking than AMB did in Ireland.

Of Maloney and Carter who is 4 and who is 7? Carter is 7 right?
  • edited August 2017
    Charlton just missed two great chances to go ahead. First Umerah completely scuffed a volley after a wonderful scooped ball by Yanfram to put him 1 V 1 with the keeper. Then I think it was Reeco blasted over from about two yards out after the ball was squared to him by Carter. To be fair he had a defender pressuring him but still should have scored.
  • SDAddick said:

Charlton just missed two great chances to go ahead. First Umerah completely scuffed a volley after a wonderful scooped ball by Yanfram to put him 1 V 1 with the keeper. Then I think it was Reeco blasted over from about two yards out after the ball was squared to him by Carter. To be fair he had a defender pressuring him but still should have scored.

Doesn't sound like Reeco.
  • 86' RED CARD | Bowry is sent off for a second yellow card after dragging back Dyson.
  • FULL-TIME | Charlton U23s 0 @htafcdotcom U23s 0

The 10-man Addicks dominate, but are left frustrated at The Valley. #cafc
  • ross1 said:

86' RED CARD | Bowry is sent off for a second yellow card after dragging back Dyson.

Shame, he had a good game apart from that. His first booking was silly, sort of overran the ball and collided with the player. Didn't need to get the second booking.
  • dickplumb said:

I went today and we deserved to win. Josh Umerah and Hackett- Fairchild missed a number of chances. It is difficult for the U23s at the moment because we are playing the better ones in the Cup competitions. Umerah looks a shadow of the player he was. He has lost his confidence. George Lapslie ran the show with his incisive passing and he likes a tackle. I like the look of Bowry every time I have seen him. Beeney going out on loan to Dartford will improve him.

Yeah my feeling on Umerah was "looks like a player who has barely played football in nine months." He wasn't playing at Kille (sp?) then seemed to miss a chunk of preseason with injury.

Agree re: Bowry and Beeney.

Is Maloney the number 4? If so he looked very tidy. Solid in possession. Good positioning.
  • Yes that is Taylor Maloney. He started as a forward for the U18s but was converted to a midfielder.
  • Sponsored links:

• dickplumb said:

Yes that is Taylor Maloney. He started as a forward for the U18s but was converted to a midfielder.

Cheers your insight is always much appreciated.

• ross1 said:

86' RED CARD | Bowry is sent off for a second yellow card after dragging back Dyson.

He got sucked into that challenge. Got swept up by the occasion.
  • 1-1 draw away at Hull this evening.
  • I thought KR said Reeves would play in a reserve game this week, is there another one as he did not play tonight

U23S | Maynard-Brewer, Barnes, Yao, Blumberg, Edwards, Maloney, Dijksteel, Lapslie, Sarpong-Wiredu, Yamfam, Hackett-Fairchild. #cafc
    Subs | Beeney, Anderson, Mascoll, Doughty, Carter. #cafc

• KR also mentioned something about "behind closed doors friendlies" to give Reeves match practice.
    Maybe something happening mid-week?

• Also went and I had a brief chat with @seth plum during the first half.

Strange game as we played really well against a very robust, niggly and dare I say it dirty Leeds side when they had a full team on the pitch. But after Vieira got sent off just before half time we appeared to stop playing and even with the 10 men they dominated possession without really creating much. I suspect that the strong wind against us was also a contributing factor.

Well taken goal from Anderson who could have scored in the 1st minute. 5 yellows issued against Leeds in the first half as they cynically kicked us and Yamfam in particular whenever we got into attacking situations.

My first viewing of Ryan Blumberg who suitably impressed. Also watched Brandan Sarapong Wiredu who was very physical and on another occasion will get multiple yellow cards. Impressed as always with Lapslie and Dijksteel, the latter only playing the last half hour as presumably on the bench tomorrow.

Good to see Robinson there. In summary with most of the main players from last year in the first team squad, don't expect the under 23s to win the league this season.

Was it Ronaldo Viera who was sent off? He's really highly rated for them and an England youth international, interesting he's playing for the U23s because he played a fair few times last year.

Glad we got the win and that some of the players. Coming in to the side are impressing.
  • Team sheet says Romard Viera
  • The Viera who got sent off is the brother of the Viera in the Leeds first team.