Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Under 21s (Match updates and news)

Comments

• ....and the goal keeper. So just the 11 missing? Yeah, falling apart.

Or
  • New team finding it hard to step up.
  • Aribo, Grant, Maloney and Phillips also eligible for U23s. With that forward who's been out 18 months and name eludes me.

Mikhail Kennedy??
    Gotcha!
  • edited October 2018
    Of course Paulie is right, as usual.

It is much more important for our u23s to rack up the points in their own league than help the seniors, who should stand on their own (sometimes antiquated or injury-prone) legs.

We should play this team in the u23 league (that would show them who is falling apart!):

Ashley Maynard-Brewer

Kenneth Yao (after Oct 20)
    Anfernee Dijksteel
    Jo Cummings
    Lewis Page (Mascoll or Stevenson until fit again)

Albie Morgan
    George Lapslie
    Taylor Maloney
    Joe Aribo

Karlan Grant
    Tariqe Fosu

Subs from:
    Reeco Hackett-Fairchild
    Jamie Mascoll
    Dan Birch
    Daniel Bowry
    Ryan Blumberg
    Toby Stevenson
    Ben Dempsey
    Alfie Doughty
    Terrique Anderson
    Wilberforce Ocran
    Brendan Sarpong-Wiredu (u18)

I have not included:
    Josh Umerah (out on loan all season)
    Mikhail Kennedy (long-term injury)

Ideally we would include these u23s also:
    Josh Cullen (loanee)
    Krystian Bielik (loanee)
    but I suspect their lending clubs would not permit it on a regular basis.

To win everything in sight and make Paulie happy, I would like to strengthen a little (especially in defence). Are we still allowed to field three over-age players plus an over-age goalkeeper? If so I would draft in Philips, Solly, Sarr, and Taylor.

That would leave a lot of u23s without a regular game so they could fill the resulting gaps in the First Team. Good experience for them.
  • edited October 2018
    My local supermarket has filled up with Christmas decorations, so may I be the first to wish all fans a Happy Christmas?
  • What we have to remember is it is about players coming through to the first team. When that dries up we need to be concerned more so than a few dodgy results with players missing.
  • What we have to remember is it is about players coming through to the first team. When that dries up we need to be concerned more so than a few dodgy results with players missing.

The players reaching the U18s now would have been recruited around the age of 8 so 10 years ago in 2008 (obviously players join at older ages too as Stevenson shows but bear with me).

So the current batch of U23s were recruited when or just after we were a premier league club up to 2007.

The academies recruitment has never only been based on "join us, we're a premier league club" but I guess that losing that status and dropping to league one will have hit our recruitment over the last ten years not to mention the players nicked at youth level such as Sarimeinto (spelling) and Abraham.

It maybe the next 10 years of teams are just as strong as the last ten but I suspect we will find it harder to compete especially as the club have stopped completely working towards Cat A status.
  • U23 | TEAM NEWS: @CAFCofficial: Maynard-Brewer, Barton, Stevenson, Maloney, Cummings, Blumberg, Doughty, Dempsey, Kealy, Morgan, Mascoll.

Subs: Sarpong-Wiredu, Osaghae, Carey, Zemura, Anderson.
  • 12 - Goal. Doughty opens the scoring for the visitors with a low finish from an acute angle. (0-1)
  • Sponsored links:

• surprised Stevenson is playing, think he will need to be involved with first team on Saturday with Page out and his stunning hat trick last week.
  • 44 - GOAL! @evans98jake heads home at close range! All square. (1-1)
  • 53 - GOAL! What a run by Meite who surges into the area before firing home from close range. #CardiffCity lead! (2-1)
  • 62 - @CAFCofficial make two changes with Sarpong-Wiredu & Anderson replacing Doughty & Kealy. (2-1)
  • Kealy must be the trialist. Certainly never heard of him or this Barton fella. Disappointing to be losing yet again.
  • 74 - Mascoll is replaced by Zemura for the visitors. (2-1)
  • 78 - Sarpong-Wiredu is booked for a late challenge on Martin. (2-1)
    79 - Meite is shown a red card for an off the ball incident. (2-1)
  • 85 - GOAL! @james_waite10 taps home to extend our lead! (3-1)
  • 88 - Zemura is booked for a late challenge. (3-1)
  • Sponsored links:

• U23 | @CardiffCityFC 3-1 @CAFCofficial.

The #Bluebirds come from a goal behind to earn all 3️⃣ points! 💪
  • Disappointing result again but away to a premier League side with a young team and trialists.
  • Here's how @jasoneuell's side will line-up against @Official_ITFC this afternoon...

XI: Maynard-Brewer, Barton, Stevenson, Yao, Bowry, Maloney (c), Morgan, Mascoll, Anderson, Clarke, Hackett-Fairchild.

Subs: Osaghae, Zemura, Dempsey, Junior, Ocran. #cafc
  • He's back!

And Billy Clarke gets a start too.
  • edited October 2018
    Who's this Clarke bloke??? - Is he another we can claim from the Academy? ;)

Is Hackett-Fairchild back from his loan or can he play for both?
  • U23's can play for their parent club while on loan elsewhere.
  • 0-0 @ Half Time

Both sides appear to have had a single chance each with ours coming from Billy Clarke