Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Is it time for JJ to hang up his boots??

Serious question especially for those who have been to the recent games.

He can't play as a wide midfielder as he lacks pace, he doesn't seem to be able to control central midfield based on the recent reviews, I would also question whether he has the leadership.

Perhaps a lot has been masked the last couple of years as he has got the odd important goal and all the other problems.

We can argue he is playing as we currently have no-one else, but is he doing us and himself a disservice by playing on.

I am not having a dig at him as he has been a great servant for the club, but I am struggling to see his value.

Comments

• Options

Serious question especially for those who have been to the recent games.

He can't play as a wide midfielder as he lacks pace, he doesn't seem to be able to control central midfield based on the recent reviews, I would also question whether he has the leadership.

Perhaps a lot has been masked the last couple of years as he has got the odd important goal and all the other problems.

We can argue he is playing as we currently have no-one else, but is he doing us and himself a disservice by playing on.

I am not having a dig at him as he has been a great servant for the club, but I am struggling to see his value.

He needs someone mobile alongside him, without doubt. I hope that Slade is working on that
  • Options
    he will pop up once in a blue moon and get something though, no question of how much he loves the club just a shame his career is going to end with us in the way we are.
  • Options
    Simple answer yes - and I don't think this thread will be as divided as the last one. A 34 year old who at best has been an upper league 1, lower champ career player would be seen as a Foley signing had he come externally (in fact Crofts and Foley have better pedigree).

I feel sorry for Jacko. He will know he can't do the job but is being forced into it as we have no other options.

If the transfer doesn't happen before Northampton I would play Ba and Crofts but we urgently need Thompson and one other in.
  • Options
    I've always thought and hoped JJ is manager material. He could come in useful.
  • Options
    FFS
  • Options
    I heard somewhere that his legs had gone!

As wmcf123 said, he needs a mobile player alongside him as he's never been quick, even 5 years ago.

Put the right players around him and I pick JJ every time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Charlton win on Saturday with JJ on the scoresheet; im having a fiver on it !!!
  • Options
    Hoping his CAFC playing career will outlast Roland's occupation of the Club and then JJ can then maybe stay on in some sorta coaching role
  • Options

One league game and one cup game in and up pops this thread. Is this a record? I thought in a post-Colin world we'd at least make it to January before people started writing off our captain and one of the only people who actually gives a shit about the club. Sure, he's getting older and he's playing in a rubbish team. He hardly needs a thread devoted to pointing that out

Has Colin gone? How have I missed this?

I refuse to believe it - he'll be back.
  • Options
    edited August 2016

No, a player with his ability can still dictate and influence at this level.

Love JJ

...four years ago.

I don't think it's JJ per se, but JJ & Crofts together is a limited combination. We need Jacko alongside someone who has the legs to let the captain do what he does best.
  • Options
    It's obvious to anyone who watches charlton that JJ needs a couple of younger quicker players alongside him, if we can get a couple in he will be fine.
    Unfortunately i can't see it happening under these clowns
  • Options
    Character wise, we need as many JJs and (by all accounts) Jason Pearce characters as we can get currently
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

JJ is the least of our problems.

Not entirely sure you can say that when our midfield - and more precisely our central midfield - is manifestly the #1 cause of our on-field ineptitude

JJ takes up a whole place in the midfield and I'm not sure we can afford it. His best bet is to play off the front two, leave the mobility to the mobile
  • Options
    Not this again.
    In the right system and with players up to his standard, he would be brilliant this year. A leader.
    Trouble is our owners won't buy a squad capable of mid table in League 1, let alone promotion out of it.
  • Options
    JJ will run through walls for us, but he cannot do it all.

He still has something to offer and is not the reason we are in this situation.
  • Options
    edited August 2016

It's obvious to anyone who watches charlton that JJ needs a couple of younger quicker players alongside him, if we can get a couple in he will be fine.
    Unfortunately i can't see it happening under these clowns

He played next to Cousins for most of the last couple of years. You don't get more of an athletic partners than that. How did that work out for us? How many games did our midfield boss? JJ should be a 70th minute sub from here on in.
  • Options
    'with players up to his standard' jesus. Shall we see who's up to his standard then?

Rudd = yes
    Solly = yes
    Pearce = yes
    Rojo Bauer, Lennon, Tex (?!) = yes
    Fox = yes! I would say yes
    Lookman = yes (albeit inexperienced)
    Holmes = yes
    Crofts = not sure yet, but he has good pedigree
    Ajose = yes
    Novak = proven L1 scorer, also not fit yet. so yes

Our problem is a lack of credible back-up and a lack of central midfielders. JJ is a central midfielder. These are not hard maths.
  • Options
    JJ should play the Carrick role in my opinion.

Looked to me like Crofts was asked to do yesterday, notably in the second half, and while he strikes as having a terrific attitude, he distribution is woeful.

JJ is tenacious, hardworking, has a decent brain and a good left foot. I see no reason why he can't collect from the centre half and get the ball moving.
  • Options
    jamescafc said:

JJ should play the Carrick role in my opinion.

Looked to me like Crofts was asked to do yesterday, notably in the second half, and while he strikes as having a terrific attitude, he distribution is woeful.

JJ is tenacious, hardworking, has a decent brain and a good left foot. I see no reason why he can't collect from the centre half and get the ball moving.

I can't see one reason why he can. There's no doubting they guy's passion, and he's rocked up with the odd important goal, but the last two seasons have seen a decline in his on-field prowess. He may get a goal now and again but I expect that to be the limit of his contribution. I'm not seeing the team play until the Walsall game but if he plays I'll be back to this thread to make a comment accordingly.
  • Options
    Last night he tried but on one particular tackle he just couldn't get up quick enough, and looked like he was struggling to get up. Although he did manage to get a tackle in from it, the young whipper snappers of Cheltenham were both back on there feet whilst Jacko was still on the ground. It was that moment I felt he could not keep up with the pace. I'm gutted but I think Jacko at present is a weak link within the team. But I've said that before and he comes back fighting so let's hope he does this Saturday.
  • Options
    They can't play a cm 2. I'll not blame them. Just pack the midfield and get energy in there with Lookman. Put six in there if you have to.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

'with players up to his standard' jesus. Shall we see who's up to his standard then?

Rudd = yes
    Solly = yes
    Pearce = yes
    Rojo Bauer, Lennon, Tex (?!) = yes
    Fox = yes! I would say yes
    Lookman = yes (albeit inexperienced)
    Holmes = yes
    Crofts = not sure yet, but he has good pedigree
    Ajose = yes
    Novak = proven L1 scorer, also not fit yet. so yes

Our problem is a lack of credible back-up and a lack of central midfielders. JJ is a central midfielder. These are not hard maths.

That's a good team for this level. We just need a mobile decent creative cm like stephens was.

JJ needs to be in our squad though for his heart, passion and experience.