Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Checkatrade Trophy

Comments

• SDAddick said:

2016-7: Blackburn B team entered the tin pot competition

2017-8 Blackburn's first team will have to play other B teams.

Joke of a tournament. Destroying lower league football.

Come on, it's nowhere near important enough to be "destroying lower league football." Want to know who destroyed Blackburn? Their owners, and a complete lack of oversight of ownership responsibility by the Premier League and FA. I could even make the case that Blackburn, not particularly huge club (though a historic one) have been artificially inflated for years by the expenditure of wealthy owners, then deficit spending.
    The introduction of B teams into English league football. I think it's a huge issue.
  • Charlton v Millwall U23 next season can't wait oh hold on I'm getting my hair cut that night!

I think the U23 teams are selected from clubs with Category One academies, which Millwall don't have?
  • SDAddick said:

Come on, it's nowhere near important enough to be "destroying lower league football." Want to know who destroyed Blackburn? Their owners, and a complete lack of oversight of ownership responsibility by the Premier League and FA. I could even make the case that Blackburn, not particularly huge club (though a historic one) have been artificially inflated for years by the expenditure of wealthy owners, then deficit spending.
    The introduction of B teams into English league football. I think it's a huge issue.
    Totally agree. Unless there is a major rethink in the way English football is being run I can see a situation in 10 or 15 years where the premier league uses the football league's as little more than feeder clubs with no chance of progressing
  • SDAddick said:

Totally agree. Unless there is a major rethink in the way English football is being run I can see a situation in 10 or 15 years where the premier league uses the football league's as little more than feeder clubs with no chance of progressing
    It's introducing B teams into a competition which few, if any, take all that seriously. This is a very far cry from introducing them into the league structure. Now, is there a risk of that? Potentially. But there was a risk of it before this Mickey Mouse cup and there would still be that risk if they reverted to the old format.
  • well, I guess it gets em out of Coventry for the day

They were sent there for a reason
  • At the end of the day, this will still be ignored by the fans until the later stages, and I can't imagine most of the players will be that thrilled by the prospect of playing an U23 team anyway so will go through the motions to save themselves for more important league matches
  • Having stolen our best youngsters using their category 1 status, they now need some competitions to play them in and more importantly, they need them to play against at least some 1st team players to evaluate them.

If they stopped stealing them and paid a decent transfer fee to clubs for players they wanted, the money awash in the Premiership would filter down to clubs naturally. They are just scared of losing the next Wayne Rooney, hence the huge academies they all now have and the high jacking of this competition.

Greedy bastards, led by a greedy bastard. I spit on them and this competition.

(Unless we get to Wembly obviously).
  • checkatrade checkatrade.com
  • Says we voted against the change... Does that mean we wanted to keep the competition as it was last season or does it mean we wanted the competition to be changed back to the original format?
    there was no option to vote to keep it the same as last season. if we voted against then we either wanted a straight knockout comp or to abolish it altogether
  • Sponsored links:

• Charlton v Millwall U23 next season can't wait oh hold on I'm getting my hair cut that night!

They are not Catogory A
  • Don't think it should be reserve sides from higer leagues. with the format it would be better to put in the two relegated side from the EFL (Orient and Hartlepool) along with the top 12 sides from National League who didn't go up.
  • does anyone know when the draw takes place so I can schedule my annual bath for one of those nights?
  • does anyone know when the draw takes place so I can schedule my annual bath for one of those nights?

You don't have to worry about that. After the general election, baths will only be available on a triennial basis. (If Theresa wins because you won't be able to afford water or if Jeremy wins the water companies will be nationalised and all the water workers will be on permanent strike.)
  • I don't see any problem with having the U23 sides. It's a well established fact that people want to watch the Premiership stars of the future. This is exactly what true fans want to see and they'll flock to it... oh.
  • The day Charlton's first team lose to Palace or Millwall U23's in a recordable fixture is the day I give up on football forever. I fear that day is moving ever closer.
  • Did we establish if a game against the u-23 team counts in terms of career goals etc
  • Spurs and Man City have decided to enter next season...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40455944
  • edited July 2017
    We're in a group with Crawley and Pompey.

https://www.portsmouthfc.co.uk/news/2017/july/checkatrade-trophy-blues-to-face-charlton--crawley/

Category 1 club will be out of Brighton, Chelsea, Fulham, Reading, Southampton, Swansea, Tottenham or West Ham.
  • Scoham said:

https://www.portsmouthfc.co.uk/news/2017/july/checkatrade-trophy-blues-to-face-charlton--crawley/

Category 1 club will be out of Brighton, Chelsea, Fulham, Reading, Southampton, Swansea, Tottenham or West Ham.

Looking at the draws for League One and League Two teams it looks a lot better organised in terms of regions - But seriously Crawley again?
  • Sponsored links:

• Scoham said:

Looking at the draws for League One and League Two teams it looks a lot better organised in terms of regions - But seriously Crawley again?
    All of the groups seem to have nice local derbies in them, and then there's our group...
  • edited July 2017
    sam3110 said:

Scoham said:

All of the groups seem to have nice local derbies in them, and then there's our group...
    Blackburn - Bury - Rochdale is a lovely Group as is Plymouth - Exeter - Yeovil

But yeah off the top of my head Crawley and Gillingham are our two closest teams but to have Portsmouth???
  • edited July 2017
    Charlton Athletic Crawley Town Portsmouth Brighton & Hove Albion
    Colchester United Gillingham Colchester West Ham United
    Bristol Rovers Swindon Town Wycombe Wanderers Reading
    Exeter City Plymouth Argyle Yeovil Town Southampton
    Cheltenham Town Forest Green Rovers Newport County Swansea
    AFC Wimbledon Barnet Luton Town Fulham
    Milton Keynes Dons Oxford United Stevenage Chelsea
    Cambridge United Northampton Town Peterborough United Tottenham

I think that's how they'll split up the academy teams, in italics
  • Academy teams are being drawn out next Wednesday
  • LouisMend said:

Academy teams are being drawn out next Wednesday

Would make no sense to have a random draw after regonalising the rest of the draw, imagine Swansea in the Gillingham group or West Ham in the Exeter group
  • so has it not been drawn? is it just allocated teams?
  • sam3110 said:

LouisMend said:

Would make no sense to have a random draw after regonalising the rest of the draw, imagine Swansea in the Gillingham group or West Ham in the Exeter group
    It's not completely random, the other team in our group will be one of Brighton, Chelsea, Fulham, Reading, Southampton, Swansea, Tottenham or West Ham.
  • Literally the definition of tinpot trophy
  • Scoham said:

sam3110 said:

LouisMend said:

It's not completely random, the other team in our group will be one of Brighton, Chelsea, Fulham, Reading, Southampton, Swansea, Tottenham or West Ham.
    Obviously, I meant that the rest of the draw is heavily regionalised, so it would make more sense to merely allocate each academy team to a group bases on their location. Hence me putting Swansea with Newport, Brighton with Crawley and Southampton with Exeter
  • "Tournament regulations were tweaked in the summer, allowing greater flexibility in selection and fixture dates"

Which means what exactly? Are they going to stop fining teams for fielding weakened sides, even if in some cases, that team actually won the game?