Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

English-born XI

When was the last time before Saturday that Charlton started with an entire first XI that was born in England? Fox and Foley represent Wales and Ireland respectively but were both born in England. Someone must know the answer. I haven't a clue but I'd guess back in the distant past of the last century.

In fact there was only one foreign-born player in the matchday squad, another rarity in recent years.

Comments

• Very good question!

Plenty of Scots, Welsh and South Africans in the pre Bosman days back to Seed and before.
  • When was the last time before Saturday that Charlton started with an entire first XI that was born in England? Fox and Foley represent Wales and Ireland respectively but were both born in England. Someone must know the answer. I haven't a clue but I'd guess back in the distant past of the last century.

In fact there was only one foreign-born player in the matchday squad, another rarity in recent years.

Last season in League One.
  • se9addick said:

When was the last time before Saturday that Charlton started with an entire first XI that was born in England? Fox and Foley represent Wales and Ireland respectively but were both born in England. Someone must know the answer. I haven't a clue but I'd guess back in the distant past of the last century.

I think Yann missed a few matches through injury/suspension, though Pritchard and Dany N'Guessan also started a few matches that season
  • se9addick said:

se9addick said:

I think Yann missed a few matches through injury/suspension, though Pritchard and Dany N'Guessan also started a few matches that season
    Yeah I'm not going to go through every game but the team beat Bournemouth on the opening day was;

Elliot
    Solly
    Taylor
    Morrison
    Wiggins
    Wagstaff
    Hollands
    Stephens
    Jackson
    Hayes
    BWP

Astonishing how bad our current team is compared to that one (which still had Kermorgant to come into it)
    I forgot Yann didn't start the season.

I don't know if Curbs ever started with a team of 100% English born players, as even in the early days the likes of Colin Walsh, Balmer and Kim Grant would have been around the squad, and later Johnny Robinson and Kinsella came in.
  • Hamer in goal ?
  • se9addick said:

se9addick said:

Yeah I'm not going to go through every game but the team beat Bournemouth on the opening day was;

Elliot
    Solly
    Taylor
    Morrison
    Wiggins
    Wagstaff
    Hollands
    Stephens
    Jackson
    Hayes
    BWP

Astonishing how bad our current team is compared to that one (which still had Kermorgant to come into it)

I don't know if Curbs ever started with a team of 100% English born players, as even in the early days the likes of Colin Walsh, Balmer and Kim Grant would have been around the squad, and later Johnny Robinson and Kinsella came in.
    I'll give you the guys born in the UK & Ireland, but you can't have John Robinson !
  • Hamer in goal ?

No Elliot started that season. I think from memory he played about 4 games.
  • LenGlover said:

Hamer in goal ?

Hamer was born in England anyway
  • se9addick said:

se9addick said:

se9addick said:

Elliot
    Solly
    Taylor
    Morrison
    Wiggins
    Wagstaff
    Hollands
    Stephens
    Jackson
    Hayes
    BWP

I'll give you the guys born in the UK & Ireland, but you can't have John Robinson !
    Why?

• Sponsored links:

• se9addick said:

se9addick said:

se9addick said:

Elliot
    Solly
    Taylor
    Morrison
    Wiggins
    Wagstaff
    Hollands
    Stephens
    Jackson
    Hayes
    BWP

Why?

Born in Zimbabwe
  • shirty5 said:

se9addick said:

se9addick said:

se9addick said:

Elliot
    Solly
    Taylor
    Morrison
    Wiggins
    Wagstaff
    Hollands
    Stephens
    Jackson
    Hayes
    BWP

Why?

Born in Zimbabwe
    Which is why I included him in my list of non English players who played under Curbs :smile:

There were a couple of others too from the early 90s, the likes of Petersson and Ammann
  • This thread is a goldmine of misunderstanding, thoroughly enjoyable.
    Not as good as the Northampton tickets thread though, the misunderstandings in that thread are exceptional.
  • LenGlover said:

Hamer in goal ?

Your right but doesn't Elliot play for Ireland?
  • se9addick said:

se9addick said:

Elliot
    Solly
    Taylor
    Morrison
    Wiggins
    Wagstaff
    Hollands
    Stephens
    Jackson
    Hayes
    BWP

se9addick said:

se9addick said:

Elliot
    Solly
    Taylor
    Morrison
    Wiggins
    Wagstaff
    Hollands
    Stephens
    Jackson
    Hayes
    BWP

Surely that team would have had Ben Hamer in goal and not Rob Elliot?
  • LenGlover said:

Hamer in goal ?

Your right but doesn't Elliot play for Ireland?
    Yes, but born in England.
  • se9addick said:

se9addick said:

Elliot
    Solly
    Taylor
    Morrison
    Wiggins
    Wagstaff
    Hollands
    Stephens
    Jackson
    Hayes
    BWP

se9addick said:

se9addick said:

Elliot
    Solly
    Taylor
    Morrison
    Wiggins
    Wagstaff
    Hollands
    Stephens
    Jackson
    Hayes
    BWP

Surely that team would have had Ben Hamer in goal and not Rob Elliot?
    Elliot started the first 4 games before he was sold to Newcastle
  • Isn't Wiggins also Welsh?

London born I believe.

I'm sure most of the Welsh team in the Euros were born in England