Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Advice required - rented property and washing machine has gone wrong.

2»

Comments

• Options
    Not very receptive when we discussed it with the landlady but discussions are ongoing!
  • Options

I'd appreciate some advice please.

We rent a property and the washing machine has just gone wrong. The washing machine isn't mentioned in the inventory, but was there when we took over the tenancy.

Our landlord says it isn't include in the rental agreement, so it is our responsibility, as they just left the machine in the property.

Can they absolve themselves of the responsibility for an appliance which was part of the property when we moved in, but not mentioned in the inventory?

If it is intergrated it is the landlords responsibility. The letting agent is also involved as they would of arranged the inventory and this should of been on there. Did you check the inventory when you received it?

I deal with properties everyday so please feel free to message me if you have any queries.
  • Options

Hope you get it sorted @ME14addick. At the risk of hijacking this thread, we have a similar issue.

We're just about to rent an unfurnished property which has an electric cooker. There's no mention of it in the Tenancy Agreement, and I don't think it will show up on the inventory.

I think I can ask the Landlord to remove it, but rather than cut my nose of spite my face, does anybody know if there's a specific electrical test which should be done before we accept it?

Thanks in advance.

it has to be on the Inventory!! As soon as you get the Inventory go through it throughly. You get 7 days to make amendments then scan with changes and email back to them. Always have an email trail as proof. Sometimes I can add 50% more to it with things they have missed! If you don't they will try and charge you for these when you leave.

• Options

Take it on the chin but when you move out put loads of fresh mackerel inside the curtain railings.

Won't kick up until you've had your deposit back and have been long gone and will be nigh on impossible to find.

Bit over the top at the moment. We do not even know what is wrong with the machine or how much it is likely to cost. Offer of paying half maybe? This landlord sounds like he has gone beyond the minimum to provide a comfortable and good looking home. When he put in a fitted appliances he was probably thinking of style over implications. Both parties have failed to ensure that the inventory etc was complete which would have covered this. Both saved a bit of cash by not using an independent agent and this is a risk. Who is holding the deposit by the way?

What is wrong with the machine by the way? I assume you have cleaned the filter? A coin or something would stop the machine from pumping out the water for instance.
  • Options
    The machine won't spin but does pump out water. My husband thinks it may be the belt that needs replacing. However I have had a text from the landlady this morning stating that it will be replaced on Saturday. She had previously told me they knew it was on its last legs when we took the tenancy and said she told us that, at the time which isn't true.

My thanks to @Tracey for her help and advice by PM and to others who have made suggestions on this thread.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Redrobo said:

Take it on the chin but when you move out put loads of fresh mackerel inside the curtain railings.

Won't kick up until you've had your deposit back and have been long gone and will be nigh on impossible to find.

Bit over the top at the moment. We do not even know what is wrong with the machine or how much it is likely to cost..

Not really. If ME14 doesn't make a stand now it'll be a matter of weeks before he's moved a family of scousers into her kitchen and trebled her rent.

Landlords are dodgy and will pounce on any sign of weakness
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Double post
  • Options

OK. Hope your deposit is protected properly.

Our deposit is with an approved scheme.
    And of course when you're ready to leave you can just not pay the last rent(s) that add up to the same as the deposit.
  • Options
    LuckyReds said:

Saga Lout said:

Hope you get it sorted @ME14addick. At the risk of hijacking this thread, we have a similar issue.

We're just about to rent an unfurnished property which has an electric cooker. There's no mention of it in the Tenancy Agreement, and I don't think it will show up on the inventory.

I think I can ask the Landlord to remove it, but rather than cut my nose of spite my face, does anybody know if there's a specific electrical test which should be done before we accept it?

Thanks in advance.

I believe it's a legal requirement for the landlord to have the electrics checked when you move in, but I could be wrong. I do know you have to have a yearly Gas Safety Certificate.
    Brilliant post.

I read this and - realizing I'm renewing my tenancy this month - had a quick skim of my documents. Just found out that the Gas Safety Certificate expired on the 29/01/2016.. a good 7 months ago. Off to email the Landord's Management Agency now, a more useless bunch of tossers I've yet to meet sadly.
    @LuckyReds if they don't do the new gas cert. sharpish, report them to the relevant authority. It's not just a box-ticking exercise, it's a vital, potentially life-saving requirement.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    An update - the machine has been replaced with a second hand model. It is a better model than the old one so we're pleased.

The only downside is that our relationship with our landlord is not good now so will be moving on next year. I consider that we are very good tenants so it will be their loss as it is a rather unusual property and not the easiest to rent out.
  • Options
    Can't see what his problem is as he can claim the cost back as part of his tax return. That is of course as long as he he has declared the income!!
  • Options
    DOC64 said:

Can't see what his problem is as he can claim the cost back as part of his tax return. That is of course as long as he he has declared the income!!

That is highly unlikely!

• Options

Redrobo said:

Bit over the top at the moment. We do not even know what is wrong with the machine or how much it is likely to cost..

Not really. If ME14 doesn't make a stand now it'll be a matter of weeks before he's moved a family of scousers into her kitchen and trebled her rent.

Landlords are dodgy and will pounce on any sign of weakness
    Tenants are dodgy
  • Options
    LuckyReds said:

Saga Lout said:

Thanks in advance.

I believe it's a legal requirement for the landlord to have the electrics checked when you move in, but I could be wrong. I do know you have to have a yearly Gas Safety Certificate.
    Brilliant post.

I read this and - realizing I'm renewing my tenancy this month - had a quick skim of my documents. Just found out that the Gas Safety Certificate expired on the 29/01/2016.. a good 7 months ago. Off to email the Landord's Management Agency now, a more useless bunch of tossers I've yet to meet sadly.
    your house blown up yet @LuckyReds ?
  • Options

An update - the machine has been replaced with a second hand model. It is a better model than the old one so we're pleased.

The only downside is that our relationship with our landlord is not good now so will be moving on next year. I consider that we are very good tenants so it will be their loss as it is a rather unusual property and not the easiest to rent out.

If you can hack it, does this not put you in a rather strong position @ME14addick ?
  • Options
    LuckyReds said:

Saga Lout said:

Thanks in advance.

Brilliant post.

a more useless bunch of tossers I've yet to meet sadly.
    Stick your nut in The Valley. Ask for Katrien and Big Tony.......... trust me they are worse. ;)
  • Options

That's a shame, having to move house for the price of a 2nd hand washing machine, that's worth what £50 ?
  • Options

If you can hack it, does this not put you in a rather strong position @ME14addick ?
    Yes we do have the moral high ground here, but we had planned to move next year anyway before all this blew up.
  • Options

That's a shame, having to move house for the price of a 2nd hand washing machine, that's worth what £50 ?
    It isn't just the washing machine but an accumulation of things we don't like so will be happy to move next year.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We are now in a position to move and thought we had found a new property. We had agreed to pay the whole year's rent in advance, so finance isn't an issue, but we've heard today that we have failed the referencing and cannot rent the property.

I was told in an email just as the letting agent closed, so cannot find out why until the morning. Does anyone know whether you have the right to find out what has been said in a reference?

Our relationship with our current landlord has broken down completely and she initially refused to give a reference until we gave her written notice. We gave her the notice in writing and she did send a reference. I don't know if it was because of her reference.

We rent the bungalow at the bottom of our current landlord's garden and have to walk up a gravel path though their garden to access it. Their dog messes on the path and they often leave it so we have to clear it up. They have not carried out repairs when needed and the bathroom suffers badly from damp.

They also have no planning permission for the bungalow so it wasn't registered for Council Tax. Our tenancy agreement states that the landlord pays the Council Tax, which they obviously can't do and I'm sure they don't declare the income for tax purposes. It would seem strange therefor for them to give a bad reference if that was the reason the referencing failed.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

• Options
    We rent my father in law's house on his behalf (which goes towards his care fees - dementia). We included white goods in the contract as our responsibility as it seemed reasonable and still does. If you are renting a place you shouldn't have to buy big bulky items that the next place you rent might already have!
  • Options

We rent my father in law's house on his behalf (which goes towards his care fees - dementia). We included white goods in the contract as our responsibility as it seemed reasonable and still does. If you are renting a place you shouldn't have to buy big bulky items that the next place you rent might already have!

Thanks @MuttleyCAFC - I should perhaps have started a new thread as the problem I have now is not the washing machine!
  • Options

We are now in a position to move and thought we had found a new property. We had agreed to pay the whole year's rent in advance, so finance isn't an issue, but we've heard today that we have failed the referencing and cannot rent the property.

I was told in an email just as the letting agent closed, so cannot find out why until the morning. Does anyone know whether you have the right to find out what has been said in a reference?

Our relationship with our current landlord has broken down completely and she initially refused to give a reference until we gave her written notice. We gave her the notice in writing and she did send a reference. I don't know if it was because of her reference.

We rent the bungalow at the bottom of our current landlord's garden and have to walk up a gravel path though their garden to access it. Their dog messes on the path and they often leave it so we have to clear it up. They have not carried out repairs when needed and the bathroom suffers badly from damp.

They also have no planning permission for the bungalow so it wasn't registered for Council Tax. Our tenancy agreement states that the landlord pays the Council Tax, which they obviously can't do and I'm sure they don't declare the income for tax purposes. It would seem strange therefor for them to give a bad reference if that was the reason the referencing failed.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Did you find an answer ?
  • Options
    @Covered End I started another thread as the title of this wasn't relevant.

Lettings agency is taking legal advice on whether they can divulge as at the moment they think they can't.