Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jason Pearce Done Deal - 3 Year Deal, Undisclosed Fee

1235»

Comments

• Options
    So it looks Paddy and Naby at the back on Saturday. Surely a loanee in by then to provide cover on the bench.
  • Options
    Phew thought he’d been flogged off.
  • Options
    Davo55 said:

So it looks Paddy and Naby at the back on Saturday. Surely a loanee in by then to provide cover on the bench.

Dyksteele could be back to cover.
  • Options

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5b6ac2cc3a017/the-latest-on-jason-pearces-knee-injury

Is it just me or does this sound a bit worrying long term?

"weighed up the options available..."

meaning....."fuck, we only have Bauer & Sarr left & we are planning on selling Bauer....best get you strapped up & playing asap"
  • Options
    Very worrying indeed 2 to 3 weeks out plays 90 minutes gets reaction misses 2 more games plays again October breaks down 3 weeks fannying about fingers crossed hoping it miraculously heals itself then the twunt refuses to pay for surgery for another month JP eventually has restorative operation before Xmas 3 months rehab while Jacko and Pratley are playing CH for the already relegated side JP returns April for last 2 fixtures
    Keep smilin roly’s CAFC doesn’t do failure
  • Options
    Does not seem as positive as just missing 2 games. Flagging up possible surgery which knowing our current luck will happen
  • Options
    JP reminds me a lot of former England captain Bryan Robson, not anywhere near as achieving his level of ability but the way he is totally committed and goes into challenges all blood and thunder and spends a disproportionate time on the side-lines injured as a consequence. And can't see him changing that approach either.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It doesn’t sound very good. The stupidity of going into a season with only three central defenders and flogging Lennon for peanuts.
  • Options
    Jason Pearce has always been an injury prone player, so rushing him back in the way we usually have in recent years will likely end up Igoring the shit out of him. I really hope Naby steps up and him and Bauer stay fit because more than just having a decent 11, I really don't want Charlton to be responsible for ruining another player's career longevity due to bad planning
  • Options

Jason Pearce has always been an injury prone player, so rushing him back in the way we usually have in recent years will likely end up Igoring the shit out of him. I really hope Naby steps up and him and Bauer stay fit because more than just having a decent 11, I really don't want Charlton to be responsible for ruining another player's career longevity due to bad planning

I'm not sure that's especially true. 476 games by the age of 30 is pretty reasonable, indeed I remember that when he got that first major injury with us him commenting that he had been lucky with injuries in his career, or words to that effect
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    When he got injured last season , it was noticable that we were very shaky at the back , hope Naby can step up, or we will be in a bit of bother.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    It says a lot about the cloud over our club that the player who crocked Pearce on Saturday could have been sent off, but instead scored the winner.
  • Options
    whats up with him lately?
  • Options
    doesn't seem quite that simple - the management have dropped him down the pecking order a little it seems
  • Options
    I mean, he's a foul risk and can be sloppy on the ball, but he knows how to defend. Sarr is much the better footballer, sure, but there's a place for both in our squad. Those saying we need to replace both 'to find a partner for Lockyer' have ridiculous expectations for a Championship centre-half, and it's not like Lockyer has been THAT much better - almost as many errors and the signature move of a long ball straight to the opposition keeper. I mean, he's good obviously, but in their desperation for scapegoats people are making out like he's blameless and the others are clods. All are fallible and decent at this level. 
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    I think that playing 4 at the back, which we can do with Cullen back, we'll see Pearce and Sarr in similar quantities depending on whether we're expecting to have much possession 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He's probably not playing much differently to before. Always liked to wrestle and pull shirts and never been particularly good in possession. In my opinion he's a 4th choice centre back at this level so I guess you could say he's doing alright considering. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    I think that playing 4 at the back, which we can do with Cullen back, we'll see Pearce and Sarr in similar quantities depending on whether we're expecting to have much possession 
    You reckon Sarr’s any good?
  • Options
    Only me any you noticed Leuth,  it was great skill and Naby is the only person who can carry that move off normally. Jason Pearce is a great Captain and wholehearted player.
    Will he make mistakes in the Championship ? Yes and just like Naby and guess who ?  the Welsh dragon Tom Lockyer they will battle back from adversity. If ESI are prepared to pay out for a top championship CB then all  well and good. Tom Lockyer is my first choice CB but both Sarr and Pearce have good games at CB and so does Ossie.
  • Options
    I thought Pearce did a decent job v Fulham. A clean sheet against a very good side suggests that the defence was pretty good. I can't remember Fulham getting many chances.
  • Options
    I make it that the 0-0 v Fulham was the first game since October 19th when we beat Derby 3-0 that we haven't conceded at least one goal .. Pearce and Lockyer might not be the perfect combo at centre back, but they are certainly better than any centre back combination that contains Sarr .. even so, v Fulham we probably got off lightly as neither Mitrovic nor Knockaert were playing .. we need a big, experienced centre back as a matter of urgency .. ESI, let's see the money !
  • Options
    Thought Pearce played well against Fulham
  • Options
    I'm sure Pearce will play instead of Sarr against Millwall, the sort of battling team he's better against
  • Options
    Pearce is better in a back four. Naby better in a back 3/5. Simples.
  • Options
    Pearce is a great organiser, warrior and leader.
    You want him on your side.

His biggest vulnerability is slow feet and getting turned.
    Consequently he tends to drop deep so he's not exposed to pace, dragging our back line deep with him ..... and then our midfield drop deep also, leaving the strikers isolated. 

It invites pressure, losing our outlets and ball retention.
    Every clearance comes straight back to again pressure our defence.

He's a player that always gives 100% , puts his body on the line and his experience is invaluable.
    But if only, he had quicker feet.

Someone said earlier: if you could combine Pearce with Naby, you'd have the perfect centre back.
    Spot on.

• Options
    Leuth said:
    He's doing fine for a defender who's mostly played in League One. As I said in my Player Marks,

"appears to have inherited a share of Naby's scapegoat fairy dust - well, apart from a couple of minor errors I thought he was good! Maybe our fans just like taking it out on defenders? I don't get it and I never will. He even played the best pass of the match in the first half. Maybe Naby's rubbing off on him in that way too"
    Now that's team bonding.