Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Jason Pearce Done Deal - 3 Year Deal, Undisclosed Fee

Comments

• I think it's a very good signing. Experienced and a former captain. I'm also pleased because the jury is still out for me on Bauer. I don't think we've seen enough of him to assume he's the right guy at the back. He looked okay at times last season, but, he did make a few mistakes and we were comparing him to other signings who were shit.

I imagine Tex will leave now
  • robroy said:

Hands up if you did not know who Jason Pearce was this time last year?

Can honestly say I've never heard of him, but he must be good to spunk £1.5m on him
  • Good signing but, as we've seen from preseason , defence has not been our particular weak point. We are crying out for a creative midfielder and a hold up player. Hopefully we can get those in soon. I also think this means Texeira is off.
  • Welcome Jason
  • I hope he has not been playing in pre-season friendlies or else he may be fit and ready to play, and Charlton do not usually sign these sort of players :wink:
  • He sounds a very good signing but I cannot fathom why he has signed for us after winning League 1 with Wigan last season with every chance of playing in the Championship?
  • I saw him plat a bit for Bournemouth. Reliable, vocal defender. Good in the air, left footed.
  • He sounds a very good signing but I cannot fathom why he has signed for us after winning League 1 with Wigan last season with every chance of playing in the Championship?

Wanted to return south I believe.

• Got to be happy with this despite all our other reservations. Just won the division and is clearly a leader. Remarkably he's unlikely to have been signed with a view to selling at a profit too. Welcome Jason.
  • edited August 2016

OK, thanks.
  • Sponsored links:

• credit where credit is due, superb signing.
    Feeling really strong at the back now although with injuries to Lennon and Bauer and Pearce having to settle in, it might take a while to get up to scratch.
  • Can't say I know much about him but if others are excited I'm happy to accept him as a good signing. Let's hope Slade's got the backing to go all the way with HIS squad.
  • Another player I won't recognise on Saturday but if Brussell wants him , then so do I ( IYKWIM)

Welcome, Jason.
  • Discussing the move, Latics manager Gary Caldwell said:

“Jason has been an excellent player for our football club and I can’t speak highly enough of the effort he put in every day in training and every time he donned the club’s shirt.

“He was in the final year of his contract and all parties agreed it was the best time for him to move on for the benefit of his career in the long term.

“I have an immense amount of respect for Jason and, on behalf of everyone at the football club, I wish him the very best in the future.”

Read more at http://www.wiganlatics.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/wigan-athletic-defender-jason-pearce-signs-for-charlton-athletic-3222622.aspx#fmgMf8B20agBoUb0.99
  • Discussing the move, Latics manager Gary Caldwell said:

“Jason has been an excellent player for our football club and I can’t speak highly enough of the effort he put in every day in training and every time he donned the club’s shirt.

“He was in the final year of his contract and all parties agreed it was the best time for him to move on for the benefit of his career in the long term.

“I have an immense amount of respect for Jason and, on behalf of everyone at the football club, I wish him the very best in the future.”

Read more at http://www.wiganlatics.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/wigan-athletic-defender-jason-pearce-signs-for-charlton-athletic-3222622.aspx#fmgMf8B20agBoUb0.99

Sounds promising. Hopefully he'll do the business for us.

Then why didn't he sign for Carlisle?
  • Seen loads of him whilst watching Leeds. Really is a great signing for this league, solid CB.
  • His first chance in 'men's' football, as opposed to what?

Welcome Jason and good luck.

He was diagnosed as a girl up until the age of 17
    That could almost be the reason behind the clubs choice of the word "lactics" instead of "latics", it's only a few letters either way after all?

Then why didn't he sign for Carlisle?
    Because Ian Dowie wasn't his geography teacher
  • So Pearce has left a Championship club for the benefit of his career. We must be going places :smile:
  • Sponsored links:

• Good signing, on paper at least.
  • Does he know how to defend corners?

If so, the squad has been improved.

Great news!
  • Let's hope Pearce can do for us what Michael Morrison did for Birmingham...

doh!
  • Is £1.5m a definite figure? Seems like quite a bit but a good signing nonetheless.
  • Is £1.5m a definite figure? Seems like quite a bit but a good signing nonetheless.

This looks like a very good signing, although there is surely no way that we paid a seven figure sum or anything like it, especially for a player in the last year of his contract. I saw that Wyn Grant referred to a fee of £1.5 million but that simply can't be right.

I would hope that, if and when Jorge Teixeira goes, we would cover off the fee for Jason Pearce. Tex's fee back in January was, in the time honoured manner, undisclosed but the suggestion in a couple of articles was that it was in the order of Euro 300-400,000.
  • Another player I won't recognise on Saturday but if Brussell wants him , then so do I ( IYKWIM)

Welcome, Jason.

What does (IYKWIM) stand for?
  • If you know what I mean.