Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Curbs On His Exile

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/alan-curbishley-interview-the-time-i-ve-been-out-hasnt-been-other-people-s-fault-it-s-probably-been-a7169901.html

Like scores of English managers before him, Curbishley knows he may have to look to the Football League for a route back into the game. After helping Kit Symons at Fulham last year in an ‘advisory’ role which seems in vogue these days, could an emotional return to Charlton one day materialise?

“I think at the moment the situation at Charlton is very, very difficult,” he says. “Last week they played a pre-season friendly and there was a couple of thousand people there at a 30,000-seater stadium. It’s a difficult time for them at the moment.

“The role I can see is perhaps an advisory role, helping out, perhaps even on the coaching side. Listen, if a Premier League club came in to me now, I’d jump at it with both hands but I think that’s a long way off because of the time I’ve been out.

“The time I’ve been out hasn't been other people’s fault, it’s probably been mine.”

Comments

• Options
    WSS said:

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/alan-curbishley-interview-the-time-i-ve-been-out-hasnt-been-other-people-s-fault-it-s-probably-been-a7169901.html

Like scores of English managers before him, Curbishley knows he may have to look to the Football League for a route back into the game. After helping Kit Symons at Fulham last year in an ‘advisory’ role which seems in vogue these days, could an emotional return to Charlton one day materialise?

“I think at the moment the situation at Charlton is very, very difficult,” he says. “Last week they played a pre-season friendly and there was a couple of thousand people there at a 30,000-seater stadium. It’s a difficult time for them at the moment.

“The role I can see is perhaps an advisory role, helping out, perhaps even on the coaching side. Listen, if a Premier League club came in to me now, I’d jump at it with both hands but I think that’s a long way off because of the time I’ve been out.

“The time I’ve been out hasn't been other people’s fault, it’s probably been mine.”

I'm glad he realizes this. He very easily could have dropped down a level, or God forbid, gone abroad. But he didn't, and now he's in what is by his own admission a somewhat self-imposed exile. I don't think he ever quite got over not getting the Spurs job. I believe that at the current rate, especially with the influx of foreign coaches, execs, and players into the English game (which I regard largely as a good thing), five years can seem like an eternity in terms of techniques, and he's been out of the game almost a decade now.
  • Options
    To me Curbs signals a great time for us. Getting back to the Valley, players you could really identify with from Simon Webster, Stuart Balmer, Stevie Brown, SCP, Super Clive and literally dozens and dozens of others. he bought the odd duffer along the way but no one is perfect. Oh to relive that period.

I think it's a real shame he's no longer actively managing but sadly I think it's been too long now for him to come back.
  • Options
    If he could work his way back into the building in any capacity it would give me a glimmer of hope. It's not just his coaching or managerial ability, but his attitude, work ethic and affinity with the club and supporters, that would give us a huge lift.
  • Options

SDAddick said:

WSS said:

I'm glad he realizes this. He very easily could have dropped down a level, or God forbid, gone abroad. But he didn't, and now he's in what is by his own admission a somewhat self-imposed exile. I don't think he ever quite got over not getting the Spurs job. I believe that at the current rate, especially with the influx of foreign coaches, execs, and players into the English game (which I regard largely as a good thing), five years can seem like an eternity in terms of techniques, and he's been out of the game almost a decade now.
    Following his departure from West Ham, Curbs almost became unemployable as a Premier League Manager especially as it seems that he was being somewhat "picky" as to who he was prepared to manage. Had he taken a leaf out of Sam Allardyce's book he might now be England Manager and the realisation of that has probably just hit him.
    Agreed, and I think he's reflecting on that pickiness, but I also think he could have done what McLaren and Moyes did after difficult jobs and moved abroad. I don't know his family situation, and understand it can be very difficult, but I am always disappointed when managers decide to sit around as mediocre pundits instead of trying their hand at a different type of coaching.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

WSS said:

Following his departure from West Ham, Curbs almost became unemployable as a Premier League Manager especially as it seems that he was being somewhat "picky" as to who he was prepared to manage. Had he taken a leaf out of Sam Allardyce's book he might now be England Manager and the realisation of that has probably just hit him.
    Agreed, and I think he's reflecting on that pickiness, but I also think he could have done what McLaren and Moyes did after difficult jobs and moved abroad. I don't know his family situation, and understand it can be very difficult, but I am always disappointed when managers decide to sit around as mediocre pundits instead of trying their hand at a different type of coaching.
    Especially if you happen to be someone like Paul Jewell - a prime example of "better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you're an idiot than open it and prove that to be the case".
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He worked on Star TV in Asia as a pundit--- saw him numerous times
  • Options
    Three managers who had England interviews and then left their jobs.

Redknapp,Curbs and Bruce to name just 3.

The chairman at all 3 clubs then wondered if they were 100% committed to
    their clubs. Will Bruce follow Harry and Curbs into the failed England Interview wilderness ?
  • Options
    Interviewing for the England job is the only job a manager especially an English one should be allowed to interview for without breaking contract clauses or causing a trust issue

Murray didn't realise like we all did curbs made Murray look good mistrusting curbs Fucking Dingbat move
  • Options

Three managers who had England interviews and then left their jobs.

Redknapp,Curbs and Bruce to name just 3.

The chairman at all 3 clubs then wondered if they were 100% committed to
    their clubs. Will Bruce follow Harry and Curbs into the failed England Interview wilderness ?

I would argue that moreso than the "England Interview" curse, it's the fact that the types of managers that Redknapp, Curbs, Bruce, and Martin O'Neil are are becoming obsolete. For all of my "meh" feelings about Allardyce, he remains on top of tactics (at least in terms of defending and shape), sports science and psychology, and statistics.

It's been the case for maybe 20 years now that international football is behind football in terms of quality, tactics, standards, etc. As a result, international football no longer gets managers at the peak of their careers, but instead those winding down their careers. Capello is a great example of this, but then in many ways so is Del Bosque. At the best of time it's hard to keep up, but with the pace at which things move in the modern game it's even harder. In the end it means that for a lot of managers, they're best off ending their career in international management, and for English managers that usually means they have ONE shot that comes along every 4-6 years.
  • Options
    I seem to recall that Curbs 2.2 million pound claim against WHU would have been drastically reduced had he walked straight into another job. I wonder if Curbs sheer bloody minded tenacity put other chairmen off employing him. I certainly don’t think RD would be interested in employing someone so canny.

On his final victory Curbs said, "The Club completely ignored my contract when selling Anton Ferdinand, and when George McCartney was then sold, the Club having given me assurances that no players would be leaving the Club after the sale of Anton Ferdinand, I had no alternative but to resign.

"My authority and integrity were undermined and my position was made untenable. I now wish to put this entire matter behind me.”.
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

I love Curbs. I'm not buying that book though, and I know he's got his reasons in terms of future employment prospects but I really wish he would just publicly come out and rip Katrien and Roland to shreds for tearing apart the last remnants of everything he built.

Not in his make up, besides, his autobiography was not exactly hardhitting.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

When he decided he was bigger than the club the team, the fans an anything else to do with CAFC it was time to go. He was a manager, not bloody God. He deliberately lost at Middlesborough, to prove his God like status, I for one can never forget that !

Huh????
  • Options

When he decided he was bigger than the club the team, the fans an anything else to do with CAFC it was time to go. He was a manager, not bloody God. He deliberately lost at Middlesborough, to prove his God like status, I for one can never forget that !

What???
  • Options
    I can't wait for him to be our new manager once Peter Varney is back in charge.
  • Options

SDAddick said:

WSS said:

Spot on analysis. Curbs was too picky, wanting to manage in the "perfect situation". Agree that if he followed Big Sam's path (ie. managing when the opportunity came) the trajectory of Curbs career would be quite different.
  • Options

SDAddick said:

WSS said:

Spot on analysis. Curbs was too picky, wanting to manage in the "perfect situation". Agree that if he followed Big Sam's path (ie. managing when the opportunity came) the trajectory of Curbs career would be quite different.
    Agree as well. Curbishley did well in 1996,1998 and 2000. And for a couple of years after too. But seemed then to run out of steam: too cautious, too predictable, bit too safe. We all know there are other factors too (complacent Directors, stupid players - Parker, Murphy etc) but he really should have gone around 2004 in my view. Headed abroad and done a job in Italy, Spain, Germany, Holland wherever with a team that would have given him some additional experience by actually reaching the odd cup final and doing a string of Europa League or Champions League matches each season. And then come back to the UK and taken (or been offered) a job at Spurs, Aston Villa and so on.

Life is full of what ifs............
  • Options
    Varney back in. Curbs Manager. SCP assistant waiting to take over when curbs retires.
  • Options
    Flagged for taking banned substances whilst In control of a keyboard

Big rob ban him
  • Options

Are you someone from year 2006 that has just time-travelled here? It's hard to believe given what's happend over the last decade some people would make comments like that.