Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Declan Rudd SIGNS! (Season long loan. Confirmed)

Comments

• Options

If only we'd not sold two goalkeepers without replacing them.

we lost three - Henderson, Pope and Dmitrovic
  • Options
    dickplumb said:

From Dr Kish.

One of the first decisions Karl Robinson will have to make is whether to bring in another keeper.

First choice, Declan Rudd, is currently sidelined with‎ a hip injury, and he is unlikely to be fit until the New Year.

Dillon Phillips has impressed since coming in for the Bristol Rovers game, and spent last season on loan at Cheltenham.

But behind him, there is a desperate lack of experience. Dimitar Mitov was on the bench at Bristol Rovers. Mitov is a Bulgarian Under-19 international, but he was overlooked for Saturday's game with Sheffield United.

Jordan Beeney was hurriedly recalled from Greenwich Borough on Friday to take Mitov's place on the bench.

Beeney is just 18-years-old, and if Phillips was to pick up a knock, it seems unlikely that new manager, Karl Robinson, would risk starting either of his two young keepers in a League One fixture.‎

If Phillips was unavailable, the Addicks would almost certainly be given special dispensation to bring a keeper in on loan.

But with the busy Christmas period just around the corner, Robinson may prefer‎ to bring in a free agent keeper as back up.

Keepers of the ilk of Chris Kirkland, Steve Simonsen and Lenny Pidgely are all currently unattached, but Robinson could go for a lower profile keeper.

Ian McLoughlin spent four years with MK Dons, making 26 a‎ppearances between 2011 and 2015.

McLoughlin also made 6 appearances for Walsall and 12 for Newport, during loan spells with the clubs.

The 25-year-old Dubliner appeared 10 times for the Republic of Ireland's Under-21 side, so would be ideal to cover for Phillips.

Robinson knows McLoughlin well from his MK Don's days, and if he does decide he to bring in another keeper, McLoughlin may well be in his thoughts. ‎

I was under the impression from seeing an interview with Kirkland that he had retired. He left Bury after a very short time to spend more time with his family and I doubt that playing for us, on that basis, would tempt him out of retirement.

In any event, he spent so much time out injured in his career, the likelihood is that he would be spending more time in the treatment room. Probably makes him Roland's number one target.
  • Options
    Schwarzer would be ok short term
  • Options

Schwarzer would be ok short term

Would have to be very short term - he's 44 now and only played 10 matches in the last 4 years!

However, agree that to have him help the young keepers and sit on the bench might be helpful. But if Phillips gets injured I fear we would be back to square one.
  • Options
    In fact he's only two years younger than Deano.
  • Options
    I can hear the conversation now:

KR outside KM's office

"knock, knock"

KM: "come in"

KR: "sorry to pester you in my first week boss but it is already clear to me we have a goalkeeping problem, how do I go about recruiting some back up?"

KM: Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool. "Karl I take it you listened to Kevin's post match interview on Saturday, where he said you were inheriting a strong squad, a bonded dressing room and a team that want to play for each other?"

KR: "yes boss but..............................................

KM: "close the door on the way out please Karl"
  • Options
    No worries Roland has a quality keeper lined up to join us.
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

What is Thurum-Alien doing these days?

• Sponsored links:

• Options

In fact he's only two years younger than Deano.

Bobby Bolder might fancy a game.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Kap10 said:

Don't joke. It wouldn't surprise me for a minute if he turned up back at the training ground again with a message from RD saying he was to be the new first choice.
  • Options

Oggy Red said:

Kap10 said:

Don't joke. It wouldn't surprise me for a minute if he turned up back at the training ground again with a message from RD saying he was to be the new first choice.
    Relax. He signed a 3 year contract in August at Le Havre, in French League 2.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

Oggy Red said:

Kap10 said:

Thank heavens for that. One less thing to worry about!

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

Oggy Red said:

Kap10 said:

Bit of step down for someone 'on the verge of the French national squad'??
  • Options
    edited November 2016

Oggy Red said:

Oggy Red said:

Kap10 said:

Still a higher level than we're at!

He barely seems to have played this season, so he can be added to the long list of former Charlton keeper currently operating as reserve keepers for their new clubs
  • Options

Oggy Red said:

Oggy Red said:

Kap10 said:

He barely seems to have played this season, so he can be added to the long list of former Charlton keeper currently operating as reserve keepers for their new clubs
    Darren Randolph had a great game for the Spammers yesterday, doubt he is regretting leaving. Should never have let him leave.
  • Options

Oggy Red said:

Oggy Red said:

Kap10 said:

Darren Randolph had a great game for the Spammers yesterday, doubt he is regretting leaving. Should never have let him leave.
    I always rated him, it was unfortunate we had him and Rob at the same time.

But of our other former keepers, none of Thurum, Hamer, Pope or Henderson are first choice at the moment
  • Options

Oggy Red said:

Oggy Red said:

Kap10 said:

But of our other former keepers, none of Thurum, Hamer, Pope or Henderson are first choice at the moment
    Personally I think, as a fan base, we have had a habit of over rating our keepers. I only get to watch from a far these days, so didn't see so much of Pope, Hendo or Thuram (not that any one could be accused of overating him, except Roland), but of those you list, Randolph was the only one who really convinced me. No saying Elliott or Hamer were bad keeper per say, just nothing that special. Elliott was doing well though until h got injured last year, but I;m not really surprised Hamer and Pope aren't playing, especially in the premier league.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Oggy Red said:

Oggy Red said:

Kap10 said:

To be fair Nick Pope is different to the others though.

He's got an two Goalkeepers who have been capped by England ahead of him in the order, one in the current squad
  • Options
    LoOkOuT said:

Hamer is a very good keeper and was great for us. Had a bit of personality about him, so was always going to struggle to win over the large Statler and Waldorf element that follow us.

Hamers distribution was something else.
  • Options

LoOkOuT said:

Hamer is a very good keeper and was great for us. Had a bit of personality about him, so was always going to struggle to win over the large Statler and Waldorf element that follow us.

LoOkOuT said:

Shame he couldn't catch a cross. Very overrated imho
  • Options

LoOkOuT said:

Probably the best I've seen outside of a handful of the very top keepers.

Good shot stopper too.
    But could be indecisive taking crosses and general command of his box could be a bit suspect.

Nevertheless, a very decent keeper for the level we were playing.

• Options
    edited November 2016

Oggy Red said:

Oggy Red said:

Kap10 said:

To be fair, Thuram might be a half decent reserve keeper. His limitations will only become clear once he gets a game ;-)
  • Options
    Good bit of keeping today ....
  • Options
    Riscardo said:

Good bit of keeping today ....

Was about to say the very same thing....haha...!!!
  • Options
    Oh dear