Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Have the club lost money staging these two friendlies?

Two games at the Valley with an aggregate attendance of barely 3,800. With tickets £10 a pop, and a ton of comps handed out I cant imagine that would get anywhere to covering the electricity, stewarding, catering and police costs....

Is this the death of PSF's at the Valley?

Comments

• CAFCTrev said:

Two games at the Valley with an aggregate attendance of barely 3,800. With tickets £10 a pop, and a ton of comps handed out I cant imagine that would get anywhere to covering the electricity, stewarding, catering and police costs....

Is this the death of PSF's at the Valley?

No.

Virtually everybody bar the top six stage friendlies at home.
  • Combined ticket revenue is unlikely to be £20k - not sure of staffing, but say 100 stewards at roughly £70 a head as the main cost = £7k per game. Catering off the books, so not much of a factor. Full time staff will be required to work for no extra. I should think the oppo get expenses. Plus fees to CACT for fun day and for hire of rides, etc.

Overall, unlikely to be in front.
  • Combined ticket revenue is unlikely to be £20k - not sure of staffing, but say 100 stewards at roughly £70 a head as the main cost = £7k per game. Catering off the books, so not much of a factor. Full time staff will be required to work for no extra. I should think the oppo get expenses. Plus fees to CACT for fun day and for hire of rides, etc.

But within the context of the season at large, whatever profits/losses are made with be incredibly negligible I'd imagine.
  • Some clubs get a big boost from the PSFs. Welling against Charlton is an obvious example. Unfortunatly, we never attract the sort of clubs that would drag people out of their summer stupor and back to the Valley. Ipswich are a club most of us have seen at the Valley, and with all due respect, RKC Waalwijk are a bit of a non entity. Headline? Do me a favour.
    Its hard to get people interested in the sort of football in a PSF at the best of times. Charlton's muppet regime has doubled that effect, and cleared away a lot of the hardcore. So if the opposition don't makethe pulse race, who in their right mind would go?
  • edited July 2016
  • Some clubs get a big boost from the PSFs. Welling against Charlton is an obvious example. Unfortunatly, we never attract the sort of clubs that would drag people out of their summer stupor and back to the Valley. Ipswich are a club most of us have seen at the Valley, and with all due respect, RKC Waalwijk are a bit of a non entity. Headline? Do me a favour.
    Its hard to get people interested in the sort of football in a PSF at the best of times. Charlton's muppet regime has doubled that effect, and cleared away a lot of the hardcore. So if the opposition don't makethe pulse race, who in their right mind would go?

Club can attract better opposition, or could until recently. The problem is that with the policing costs against any major team likely to bring a following and appearance fees they become a big financial risk to put on.

I don't think there has been much advance planning for the last three years as there has been no football management in place to do it. Ipswich were an obvious choice because of Mick McCarthy, who is well known to the likes of KP. Sensible standard too.
  • Too many acronyms in this thread.
  • edited July 2016
    JiMMy 85 said:

Too many acronyms in this thread.

OMG you're right J85, why can't people SIOIB&W FFS :wink:
  • JiMMy 85 said:

Too many acronyms in this thread.

TMAITT ?
  • Sponsored links:

• SDAddick said:

Combined ticket revenue is unlikely to be £20k - not sure of staffing, but say 100 stewards at roughly £70 a head as the main cost = £7k per game. Catering off the books, so not much of a factor. Full time staff will be required to work for no extra. I should think the oppo get expenses. Plus fees to CACT for fun day and for hire of rides, etc.

But within the context of the season at large, whatever profits/losses are made with be incredibly negligible I'd imagine.
    Indeed, but was trying to answer the question rather than arguing otherwise. Worth remembering that this is a regime that axed the programme sellers to save hundreds and cost itself thousands in lost revenue, and has shrunk Valley Express / Valley Away to the point of extinction to reduce costs, again without regard to impact on revenue. It counts pennies and loses pounds in the process.

I'm also absolutely certain the SMT would have anticipated a much bigger crowd.
    Right, got that sorry if it wasn't clear. And good point about their willingness to cut off their nose to spite their face.

This. Only Ps friendly I have attended was when we played Porto in about 2000. Also did go to either Steve Brown or John Robinson's testimonial around the same time but that might have been the same game.

that cost shocks me how much does the steward get paid ,

I think that's how much the company that provides the stewards charge
  • I have a feeling KM was expecting 8-10K per game. I mean seriously who would want to see an Ipswich friendly?
  • CAFCTrev said:

I have a feeling KM was expecting 8-10K per game. I mean seriously who would want to see an Ipswich friendly?

The 2,300 that went I suppose.

Sorry for the sarcasm.
  • edited July 2016

Combined ticket revenue is unlikely to be £20k - not sure of staffing, but say 100 stewards at roughly £70 a head as the main cost = £7k per game. Catering off the books, so not much of a factor. Full time staff will be required to work for no extra. I should think the oppo get expenses. Plus fees to CACT for fun day and for hire of rides, etc.

Don't forget they report at 12 (maybe even 11.30) and are presumably paid until 5.30, so roughly six hours at about £8. Then you've got on-costs, admin, agency fees and higher rates for supervisors and the response team. I'm guessing, but it will be more than £50 per head average.
  • CAFCTrev said:

I have a feeling KM was expecting 8-10K per game. I mean seriously who would want to see an Ipswich friendly?

The 2,300 that went I suppose.

Sorry for the sarcasm.
    I dont think even they were that interested!

...and there deffo wasnt 2,300. The actual crowd was probably the same as yesterdays PSF....

Don't forget they report at 12 (maybe even 11.30) and are presumably paid until 5.30, so roughly six hours at about £8. Then you've got on-costs, admin, agency fees and higher rates for supervisors and the response team. I'm guessing, but it will be more than £50 per head average.

That's longer than the CEO does on a matchday.
  • I hope so - every chip at The Regime helps.
  • Sponsored links:

I suspect that they have to pay at least that - you can't really expect them to want to watch the current team and deal with the 2% for less.