Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

If we dont go up this season, will RD sell?

edited July 2016 in General Charlton
I dont think RD was expecting to get relegated to L1 at any point during his ownership, in fact this is the first time any of his teams has been relegated.

As discussed before on here, I think his plan was for Charlton Athletic to just exist in the Championship indefinitely, making a profit from selling our successful youth academy grads to prem teams (mainly Burnley it seems). If he had a huge burning desire to get in the Prem, he would have spent a lot more money on building a squad to do so.

I dont think he was prepared for relegation, the running costs and lack of TV/season ticket/sponsor money at this level wont be covered by youth player sales. It may have been possible to break even in the champ, but theres no chance of that in L1, so hes liable to lose a lot of money now.

All of this suggests that he wouldnt want to spend more then a season, maybe 2 at most in L1. Weve seen signs of this with the 180 on his recruitment policy, getting an english manager, signing english players (not enough mind!) etc etc....

If we fail to go up, especially if we barely even threaten to do so (more likely), do you think that might be the catalyst for him to finally give up? His fortune is under threat from keeping CAFC going in the third tier, and with his bold plan of running a club of this size on a small budget now completely impractical?

Comments

• Options
    I dont know.
  • Options
    Will jesus ever be reborn again?
  • Options
    I think he thinks he get do it even cheaper this year with more kids as he once again under estimates the league and thinks kids will be good enough.

When we struggle this season and hover around mid table the penny may drop and he will sell anything he can worth anything pocket the money and then look to sell all while still having a nice bit interest and money to come back his way from the loans he has so kindly burden the club with.

• Options
    Hopefully. However a lot will depend upon finances. He has just sold JBG, Cousins and Pope which will cover a large chunk of his losses this season. If he sees the prospect of selling the likes of Lookman, Konsa, KAG, Lapslie as covering his losses for next few years he may continue. However some of this value won't come through for a while. Also while we are in Div 1 their values will be less. Therefore it is likely he will continue to make significant losses and hopefully this will lead him to sell.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    redman said:

Hopefully. However a lot will depend upon finances. He has just sold JBG, Cousins and Pope which will cover a large chunk of his losses this season. If he sees the prospect of selling the likes of Lookman, Konsa, KAG, Lapslie as covering his losses for next few years he may continue. However some of this value won't come through for a while. Also while we are in Div 1 their values will be less. Therefore it is likely he will continue to make significant losses and hopefully this will lead him to sell.

True, the player sales this season might give the illusion of a decent balance sheet, but what about next season when theres no good championship level players left to sell?

Unless we have 4 or 5 amazing youth players to sell who get a couple million each things will look pretty grim. Crowds will be even worse, getting sponsors will be harder. This season is probably as good as it will ever get money wise in League 1.
  • Options
    If that's the case he might as well save himself a year (probably a good idea at his age) and sell now... This squad hasn't got a hope in hell.
  • Options
    I think one thing is for sure, he will flog anyone/anything he can get some money from before hopping it. When he runs out out of things to sell, and has to actually take the losses, then I can see him going and leaving an absolute husk of a club to the next owner.
  • Options
    Well we won't be going up so I shouldn't let it worry you.
  • Options
    The JBG, Cousins and Pope sales will be covering the losses from last season. He has no hope of covering this years losses by flogging what remains of the squad.

I initially thought he might be staying one more season to get promoted and restore some value to his investment, but from the way Slade has been treated so far and the lack of signings I can't see it happening. Duchatalet just seems devoid of any plan and sits there in Belgium letting things drift on to destruction.

Hopefully the penny (one of the few we have left) will drop and he will realise that he has no alternative but to sell. He seems to be a stubborn old bastard though, so it might not be soon.
  • Options
    I think the opposite. He is a multimillionaire businessman he must have been prepared and willing for us to go down, even if the puppet said otherwise. If we stay in League One or even go down again I think it moves him closer to his aim of breaking even / making a profit. The player wages will be greatly reduced and he can survive on selling a few academy prospects to get by. In fact, by that stage he would have less unruly "customers" to deal with.

Although it is a prime example of the lack of communication from the club that we are left guessing the overall strategy time and again.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The longer he leaves it, the worse it's going to get. He'll never recover all of his money unless Bill Gates or Jeff Bezos have a sudden urge to invest in a South London Football Club
  • Options
    He would get bugger all for a academy prospect if we are league 2 team, and we would need to be producing 4 or 5 Lookmans a season for that make any money for him.

The value of the club will get lower and lower and the burden on his fortune will get bigger.

I dont buy the idea that he would be happy to sit on a League 2 team in the hope of breaking even. With a minimal squad that could only hope to finish mid-table, the running costs of a club the size of charlton would surely cause him to lose money every year.
  • Options
    If the 'plan' is to turn Charlton in to Mansfield Town then I'm not surprised he's keeping it to himself. Is it bad of me to hope that a 70 year old man dies very, very soon?
  • Options
    I think RD is more concerned whether the gaffer tape holding his left shoe together needs replacing...
  • Options
    No, it would seen as a failure and we all know...........................Roland doesn't do failure.
  • Options
    It will all depend on what dream Meire sells Uncle Roly at the end of the season
  • Options
    He doesn't give two shits whether we go up, stay down or go down. He'll sell when ge gets a buyer who takes the problem off his hands without losing too embarrassingly large a sum of money.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Missed It said:

If the 'plan' is to turn Charlton in to Mansfield Town then I'm not surprised he's keeping it to himself. Is it bad of me to hope that a 70 year old man dies very, very soon?

Not at all, my only hope is that meire lies handcuffed & gagged to the bed under him after his heart attack & where he was enjoying a post coital cigarette the flames get higher & closer to her.
  • Options
    The cantankerous owner is less likely to sell when he or one of his partners in crime see us fretting over this thread. Best to reply "no, he won't sell", I reckon.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Will jesus ever be reborn again?

Blimey, let's let him live out this life first!

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Missed It said:

Bernie Ecclestone still owned QPR whe he was past 80 years old.
    And he's still alive at nearly 86.

Given reasonable health, no reason why Roland Rat will demise much before that.

• Options
    Nope, he won't sell for another 3 years minimum, unless a crazy offer comes in
  • Options
    I don't think Duchatelet ever thought this was a short term project. Yes relegation has been a set back for him but I still think he believes he can get us back up and make his plan work.

I'm not expecting him to depart any time soon.
  • Options
    Depends on how much it costs to keep Charlton in this division for another season.

One of the reasons just maybe we are short of good players this season is that he brought STVV just afew months ago and that cost was not in his budget. So Charlton lose out to STVV.

Slade must be telling someone things just will not go right with the players we have at the moment.

Expect more departures and then maybe Roland will call it aday.
  • Options

I don't think Duchatelet ever thought this was a short term project. Yes relegation has been a set back for him but I still think he believes he can get us back up and make his plan work.

I'm not expecting him to depart any time soon.

I'm not expecting him to get us promoted anytime soon...
  • Options

I make no apology for this.....hopefully he will croak it soon. And unlike Jesus, isn't re-born.

Make sure he isnt in Jerusalem when it happens then... We cant take that risk it'll happen again
  • Options
    Interesting that Dmitrovic has been given away, no announcement, and we have to potentially pay for a replacement. That is the only network business this year and to our detriment. No fee for Hendo, Piggot, Berg, Sarr and others who should be worth something. Panic sales for our decent players. The RD template is looking shaky.
  • Options
    cafcinse6 said:

I think the opposite. He is a multimillionaire businessman he must have been prepared and willing for us to go down, even if the puppet said otherwise. If we stay in League One or even go down again I think it moves him closer to his aim of breaking even / making a profit. The player wages will be greatly reduced and he can survive on selling a few academy prospects to get by. In fact, by that stage he would have less unruly "customers" to deal with.

Although it is a prime example of the lack of communication from the club that we are left guessing the overall strategy time and again.

It's very unlikely we will break even in League One or League Two. Being in League One (and below), leaves a massive hole in our finances with the huge drop in TV money, sponsorship money, and the supporter base shrinking. RD might be hoping to sell some promising talent to make up the shortfall, but it's pipe dream if he thinks the academy will keep producing players he can sell on for millions of pounds year in year out. By being in the lower divisions, we are also in danger of being overlooked by promising youngsters and their families, as they may well be able to get a place with a club who are in a more stable position with a higher league position.