Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Savings and Investments thread

Comments

• Options
    Unilever is one of a handful of companies that are seen as having an indefinite capacity to generate profits and cash, simply because of it's range of brand leading products that are bought regardless of the economic cycle. It's only boring because it's share price at any point in time is boring as the future value is bought at a premium and factored into the price, and it doesn't give any surprises, just steady predictable growth. i.e it gives a 10%+ dividend to shareholders but if you want to buy the shares you are effectively only buying a 3%ish yield.

On the move, I understand the incentive to have a Dutch listing is connected to the Dutch legislation which gives less protection to shareholders and more protection to stakeholders such as employees to prevent hostile takeovers. Kraft has already attempted a hostile takeover, and the move is primarily linked to this. The company currently has two legal entities and will combine them into a single company, an attempt to bring efficiencies, and again fewer grounds for a hostile take-over.

The move is only affecting HQ staffing, not business production and the reason for the concern over the UK listing is simply the hassle it will create and the potential to reduce the value of tracker funds. The tracker funds would all have to sell their Unilever stock - there will be ready buyers, but probably at a reduced price - and create a major shift in the makeup of the index and buying other replacement stock probably at a premium.
  • Options

Rob7Lee said:

@PragueAddick just imagine if your wife had used a little more ink and ticked the box to reinvest the dividends!

I'm assuming your wife got her shares at a discount as 1500 to 8500 is over 550%. Have you also won on exchange rate? (seeing you are quoting in Euro's).

Personally, if thats her only 'investment' in shares i'd sell (subject to any tax implications). One egg in One basket is far from ideal. Alternatively can she start to buy/invest to dilute the overweight in Unilever?

I had not calculated that increase, and we don't yet have the actual statement from ABN-A. It may be that she made a further purchase a year later, which is not on that statement. It's not a currency thing. The point about the dividend is a good one :-)

The overall investment problem is that the options locally are piss poor, and ABN-A funds do not look very impressive either, from what I could see on their website. She cannot have her own account with a UK provider like H-L because she isn't UK resident. There are UK financial advisers based here who peddle 'offshore funds", but they are cowboys. So much for the Single Market !
    :-)

As for their people, every single one spoke perfect English, clearly had a brain and seemed ready to actually solve a problem, and to some extent were happy to talk to me even though I am not the account holder. It was in contrast to Standard Life where I have been building up a savings account for my niece but it is in my sister's name. The Dutch of course are very careful with their money and I guess they simply won't tolerate dumbasses in charge of their savings and investments.

So a key reason why ABN service is good is because they let you talk to them about someone else’s account?
  • Options

Rob7Lee said:

@PragueAddick just imagine if your wife had used a little more ink and ticked the box to reinvest the dividends!

I'm assuming your wife got her shares at a discount as 1500 to 8500 is over 550%. Have you also won on exchange rate? (seeing you are quoting in Euro's).

Personally, if thats her only 'investment' in shares i'd sell (subject to any tax implications). One egg in One basket is far from ideal. Alternatively can she start to buy/invest to dilute the overweight in Unilever?

I had not calculated that increase, and we don't yet have the actual statement from ABN-A. It may be that she made a further purchase a year later, which is not on that statement. It's not a currency thing. The point about the dividend is a good one :-)

The overall investment problem is that the options locally are piss poor, and ABN-A funds do not look very impressive either, from what I could see on their website. She cannot have her own account with a UK provider like H-L because she isn't UK resident. There are UK financial advisers based here who peddle 'offshore funds", but they are cowboys. So much for the Single Market !

As for their people, every single one spoke perfect English, clearly had a brain and seemed ready to actually solve a problem, and to some extent were happy to talk to me even though I am not the account holder. It was in contrast to Standard Life where I have been building up a savings account for my niece but it is in my sister's name. The Dutch of course are very careful with their money and I guess they simply won't tolerate dumbasses in charge of their savings and investments.

So a key reason why ABN service is good is because they let you talk to them about someone else’s account?
    No.

• Options
    edited April 2018

Rob7Lee said:

That's not strictly true is it? HL (and others) can take customers that are within the EEA. Not for an ISA or SIPP obviously, just a regular trading account. Whether they choose to decline such business purely because they can't be arsed with the admin/know your customer stuff, is another matter entirely.

For example, this lot https://idealing.com/en/signup/signup (I know nothing about them other than that they are FCA authorised) say they take EU punters.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    cafcfan said:

Rob7Lee said:

That's not strictly true is it? HL (and others) can take customers that are within the EEA. Not for an ISA or SIPP obviously, just a regular trading account. Whether they choose to decline such business purely because they can't be arsed with the admin/know your customer stuff, is another matter entirely.
    Hmm, I will double check that. I use H-L myself. I am thinking about the funds platform primarily. I thought they require a UK address and bank account.

EDIT:

H-L:

We offer a full range of services to UK residents. If you are not, or cease to be, resident in the UK, we may not be able to offer some or all of our services to you. You must let us know if you are no longer resident in the UK.
    Those dealing with us from outside the UK may not be afforded UK legislative protections and should check their own state’s legislation and tax laws before undertaking a transaction with us

• Options
    edited April 2018

cafcfan said:

Rob7Lee said:

Hmm, I will double check that. I use H-L myself. I am thinking about the funds platform primarily. I thought they require a UK address and bank account.

EDIT:

H-L:

We offer a full range of services to UK residents. If you are not, or cease to be, resident in the UK, we may not be able to offer some or all of our services to you. You must let us know if you are no longer resident in the UK.
    Those dealing with us from outside the UK may not be afforded UK legislative protections and should check their own state’s legislation and tax laws before undertaking a transaction with us

Or, alternatively from the same site: "If you will be resident within the EEA (European Economic Area), then you can add money to, or apply for, a Vantage Fund & Share Account."

You've got to laugh really haven't you!
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

cafcfan said:

Rob7Lee said:

EDIT:

H-L:

Or, alternatively from the same site: "If you will be resident within the EEA (European Economic Area), then you can add money to, or apply for, a Vantage Fund & Share Account."

Where did you see that line on their web, buddy? I had to dig my line out from deep within their T&C page. But if they say that, it would seem my wife can hold such an account.

More money to the Brexiteering Bristol City fans, then :-(

• Options

cafcfan said:

cafcfan said:

Rob7Lee said:

EDIT:

H-L:

Where did you see that line on their web, buddy? I had to dig my line out from deep within their T&C page. But if they say that, it would seem my wife can hold such an account.

More money to the Brexiteering Bristol City fans, then :-(

Here. hl.co.uk/help#managing-your-online-account/moving-overseas/moving-overseas/can-i-still-add-money-to-my-fund-and-share-account-if-i-move-abroad

Now, while it's clearly aimed at people moving outside the UK, I don't see any reason why they could reasonably turn down any resident of an EEA country. (Unless there's some Czech legislation that might kibosh it of course.)
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Has anyone used Evestor or Cavendish for a Stocks and Shares ISA?
  • Options

Has anyone used Everstor or Cavendish for a Stocks and Shares ISA?

Never heard of either of them. There is no "Everstor" listed on the FCA Register. Is that the right name? There are several "cavendish" names registered. As far as I can tell, the largest only does institutional stuff.

A general word of caution. Fraudsters love picking names VERY similar to the names of actual real firms but with subtle differences. Find the full proper name of any financial business and check it and the correct address on the FCA's register BEFORE doing any business with them.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cafcfan said:

Has anyone used Everstor or Cavendish for a Stocks and Shares ISA?

Never heard of either of them. There is no "Everstor" listed on the FCA Register. Is that the right name? There are several "cavendish" names registered. As far as I can tell, the largest only does institutional stuff.

A general word of caution. Fraudsters love picking names VERY similar to the names of actual real firms but with subtle differences. Find the full proper name of any financial business and check it and the correct address on the FCA's register BEFORE doing any business with them.
    My typo - it's Evestor - https://www.evestor.co.uk/

Cavendish - https://www.cavendishonline.co.uk/
  • Options

No, but I have a Stocks & Shares ISA with AEGON and I highly recommend it and them.
  • Options

No, but I have a Stocks & Shares ISA with AEGON and I highly recommend it and them.
    Thanks - is there a minimum starting / monthly fund?
  • Options
    No experience of those, mines with fidelity but I get discounted fee’s as also have other investments with them so not sure how they compare generally.

Find them very good/easy to use and as well as funds, ETF’s etc you can also buy individual shares but only FTSE250 currently.

Re AEGON, very restricted fund choice, only four/five, better off with a platform that gives whole of market,
  • Options

Sorry I cannot remember I have had it a number of years and my Financial Adviser set it up for me. I am sure there will be plenty of info on their web site.
  • Options
    edited June 2018

Sorry I cannot remember I have had it a number of years and my Financial Adviser set it up for me. I am sure there will be plenty of info on their web site.
    Thanks, having a look around now - impressed with what I've seen already.
    Rob7Lee said:

No experience of those, mines with fidelity but I get discounted fee’s as also have other investments with them so not sure how they compare generally.

Find them very good/easy to use and as well as funds, ETF’s etc you can also buy individual shares but only FTSE250 currently.

Re AEGON, very restricted fund choice, only four/five, better off with a platform that gives whole of market,

Fidelity have been recommended to me on that basis.

Basically looking at stocks and shares ISAs where I don't have to do any of the work and that allows me to be pretty flexible with what I put in.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    A lot of funds have a minimum, 25/50 I think is the general amount.

You should always expect some work with an ISA or at least monitoring each funds/share performance. I change mine around quite regularly, growth on individual funds has varied past 12 months from 5-55% so I actively manage if something I feel is underperforming.

Fidelity like most you can fill out a risk profile and they will recommend some funds.

Ps, if you look wider than UK, you need to consider exchange rate especially with Brexit looming.
  • Options
    While this thread is active.. what do people think about the direction of markets? There was a distinct wobble a few weeks ago, and I managed to buy some funds on the dip, and since then most equity markets have returned to near all time highs. Can this continue or is there something ominous looming?

By the way I bought Polar Capital Technology Fund after Motley Fool suggested it as a solid way of having a stake in crypto developments. Paying off handsomely. 20% plus gains since I bought in early Feb.
  • Options
    edited June 2018

While this thread is active.. what do people think about the direction of markets? There was a distinct wobble a few weeks ago, and I managed to buy some funds on the dip, and since then most equity markets have returned to near all time highs. Can this continue or is there something ominous looming?

By the way I bought Polar Capital Technology Fund after Motley Fool suggested it as a solid way of having a stake in crypto developments. Paying off handsomely. 20% plus gains since I bought in early Feb.

Depends where you are invested, UK likely to be a rocky ride for a while but I still think the FTSE100 is undervalued when you compare to other indices and the dividend return. If you take a long term view I wouldn't worry too much though.

Polar tech aren't bad, just about in line or slightly better than their peer group average. My equivalent choice is Allianz Technology Trust Plc which I have in my Pension, which in the longer term has performed a little bit better. I've also got in my ISA Legal & General Global Technology Index which is a slightly safer bet and has performed almost as well, had that one around ten years as was a hang over from when I worked at L&G, about 500% growth in that time.

Thought I'd turned the market this morning when it wouldn't let me trade at 8:30am what I'd flipped yesterday to buy back today (ex dividend v CGT flip), market was an hour late opening!

PS @PragueAddick - don't forget gains/profits are only any good when you take them!
  • Options
    As an IFA I would always advise using a platform if possible. Last 10 years I have been using Cofunds for myself & my clients but their recent migration to Aegon has been woeful & I'm very sserously considering moving my clients elsewhere. I have a few clients with Fidelity Fundsnetwork & a few with Old Mutual so deciding on which one of these I may use.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

As an IFA I would always advise using a platform if possible. Last 10 years I have been using Cofunds for myself & my clients but their recent migration to Aegon has been woeful & I'm very sserously considering moving my clients elsewhere. I have a few clients with Fidelity Fundsnetwork & a few with Old Mutual so deciding on which one of these I may use.

Anything I should be concerned about being with AEGON or did you mean the migration was more the problem than AEGON themselves?
  • Options
    This will mix things up a little:

Revolut to introduce free share trading platform:
    https://techcrunch.com/2018/06/06/revolut-announces-a-robinhood-like-trading-product/?sr_share=facebook&utm_source=tcfbpage
  • Options
    I know a few people who tried their banking and had no end of issues. Think they need to work on service first. Free always sounds good when everyone else charges, but is rarely that simple....
  • Options
    Been impressed by Revolut so far, no issues and a decent option when travelling. Think the trading platform will only be available for premium customers....... so not really free, but good to have some competition that might bring down trading fees elsewhere.
  • Options
    High street bank isas are so bad they are laughable.
    Best I could find was Nat west at 1.25 %.
  • Options

Cash ISA's even 5 year fixes are effectively losing money each year due to inflation. in general you are better putting it into a general savings account paying a higher rate and lumping it into an isa a few days before the end of the tax year, i know a few people who do that.

Does depend on your tax position though and if you get the higher/lower/no savings allowance. Another one of the tax breaks for the rich.... oh hold on...... :wink:
  • Options

Thats fairly decent tbf.

No need to have a Cash Isa seeing as your first £1000 of interst is tax free (£500 if 40% taxpayer). Go for Equity ISA & have a balanced portfolio.....more fixed interst if you are cautious.
  • Options

Anything I should be concerned about being with AEGON or did you mean the migration was more the problem than AEGON themselves?
    Too early to say, but I don't like the new set up for ex-Cofunds investors. I did read that there is another migration planned to fully integrate ex-Cofunds, but from what I've seen of it so far I am less than impressed. Maybe the fully functional Aegon system is better, but I'm not holding my breath.
  • Options

Thats fairly decent tbf.

No need to have a Cash Isa seeing as your first £1000 of interst is tax free (£500 if 40% taxpayer). Go for Equity ISA & have a balanced portfolio.....more fixed interst if you are cautious.
    Or Zero tax free if a 45% taxpayer.

Although you are right, I think you do need to consider the longer period/term, i.e. a few years ISA worth of cash, if in a normal savings account could well exceed the £500/£1000, especially if we ever saw rates begin to increase, if by then you had £60k and rates 5% thats suddenly a fair bit of tax if outside an ISA.

I do agree though, stocks and shares is the way to go for the longer term but there is a place for cash ISA's but diminished to a degree.
  • Options
    My overal take on it all is that there is no one single strategy....no one size fits all. I tell all my clients that financial planning is personal & everybody's situation is different. What may suit your "mate down the pub" may not suit you. You may have diffetent aspirations or a completely different set of circumstances.

Each to their own