Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

New Article: A special moment during the Ipswich game

Comments

• sorry, but I thought your header was eclipsed by Big Micks rant & bottle throwing episode a little later when they were denied a pen
  • Well done Stu
  • Weirdly ever since I first got my dad to take me to watch us at shithurst park as a kid I wanted to
    a) catch the ball in the crowd
    b) a game in the snow with the orange ball and
    c) see a goalie score (thanks Brad).
    Now I'm sure I've written this before and if it was on here apologies but maybe it was on Glynnes list forever ago but anyway, some years ago my wife at the times stepdad scored some free tickets for a veterans indoor 6-a-side tournament that was, from memory staged over in docklands somewhere (this is in early 2000's) so I went with him to watch. It wasn't great, we didn't win it (it wasn't the famous soccer6 win) but I did find it funny that John Barnes turned out for us, think maybe Billy Bonds did too.
    The tournament was being screened live by sky and during one game someone hoofed it too hard, way over the Perspex and it was coming my way.
    The world around me slowed, I put my hands out, then realised I could probably head it, lowered my hands and rose out of my seat and headed it back over the Perspex to one of the players and received the tiniest ripple of applause from those very nearby.
    I was properly over the moon, went home, asked some mates who'd watched it if I'd made it onto the tellybox assuming it was such class that it would have been replayed constantly and constantly but no, nothing, nothing at all...I've still not gotten over it and still not caught the ball although to be fair I don't obsess about it anymore, it rarely bothers me......promise
  • We sat along from you. Was a brilliant header. Congratulations.
  • sorry, but I thought your header was eclipsed by Big Micks rant & bottle throwing episode a little later when they were denied a pen

Now THAT really was class .

Now THAT really was class .
    LOL calm down it's a friendly Mick!
  • That's gold, have had visions of doing similar things... Years ago at the gills I recall catching a ball behind the goal, in my enthusiasm to throw it back in I smacked my mate behind in the nose with the ball...
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2016
    I remember in the pre season friendly against Brentford a few seasons back, the ball came into the stand behind the goal where Charlton were warming up and my mate, @Capitano decided it would be a good idea to try and play the ball back to John Sullivan first time. He played it back first time and it narrowly missed the back of an elderly ladies head! Sullivan screwed his face up as if to say you're a lucky boy, that was bloody close" but saw the funny side too!
  • My wife did the same albeit unintentionally at Brighton a few seasons back.....for some reason Ben Hamer decided he would take a turn at shooting with the rest of the squad and hey presto, he managed to smack my Mrs straight on the nose. Made it worse he didnt even apologise.
  • The only time I got to touch the ball was at a reserves game away at Chelsea. It was a weekday afternoon in winter and there were 3 of us watching - myself and 2 Chelsea supporters. I sat further back from them and, being terrible at throwing, was horrified to see that the ball had been kicked out and I was nearest to it. Rather than throwing it back I took a long walk down the stand to hand it back personally to Mark Stewart. Later in the game we went a goal down and the Chelsea fans turned and sung 'you're not singing anymore'. Happy days.

• Selfish bastard .. you could at least have let your daughter head the ball back and claim the glory.

• Great post though
  • Welcome to the 100 likes club @stuart_lee . Normally only experienced by the most respected, popular and articulate mods, like @i_b_b_o_r_g :-)
  • Shame it wasn't recorded - over 1.3 million hits for this 'relaxed' Charlton ball boy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJIdlj7VtiQ
  • edited July 2016
    Great post, wanted to Like and Lol it.

Can we not adopt a similar theme throughout this season when the ball gets hoofed into the Valley masses? My aim will be to catch a ball, move to an aisle and then try to launch it out of the stadium or at the director's box.

Be inventive.
  • Sponsored links:

• Quality moment indeed, took one full in the kisser at close range on the east in the seventies, after bawling my dear old dad gave me hell and blamed me for the embarrassment.
  • This thread is exactly why Katrien puts the big net up, all you lot taking plaudits & attention from the network signings on the pitch.
  • Welcome to the 100 likes club @stuart_lee . Normally only experienced by the most respected, popular and articulate mods, like @i_b_b_o_r_g :-)

Wow, thank you. To think I almost deleted the thread straight after the initially posting thinking it was rather self indulgent.

Gutted I didn't make the CAFC official 'highlights' clip ;-)

Folla my lead Stewpot
  • Away to Barnsley. Bob Bolder was in goal so that's how long ago. A Barnsley shot sailed over the bar and bounced close to me at the back of, what was then, a big open terrace. I grabbed the ball and with a superb overarm throw that would have got me into the Kent cricket team, hurled it to our keeper. The ball sailed towards him, cleared the perimeter fence and right in front of Bob, it hit the raised edge of the turf and bounced back over the fence! Cue some ribald chants in my direction.

Well played Stu. Wish I'd been there to see it.
  • Peter_G said:

Away to Barnsley. Bob Bolder was in goal so that's how long ago. A Barnsley shot sailed over the bar and bounced close to me at the back of, what was then, a big open terrace. I grabbed the ball and with a superb overarm throw that would have got me into the Kent cricket team, hurled it to our keeper. The ball sailed towards him, cleared the perimeter fence and right in front of Bob, it hit the raised edge of the turf and bounced back over the fence! Cue some ribald chants in my direction.

Well played Stu. Wish I'd been there to see it.

Doesn't take much to get I the Kent Cricket team! ;)

Cue the outrage.
  • The only time I have ever held the match ball in the stands was in my very first season. I think I was 4 or 5 years old. Don't remember much about that game or even that season. I went along with my friend and his dad. My only real memory is that the ball flew towards us in the west stand by the tunnel, no idea who kicked it or even who was playing. My friends dad caught it and shouted for us. We both got a hold of the ball before he threw it back.

Wasn't much but like I said my only memory from that season so must have had some impact on me.

Never even got close since.
  • away to Southampton a few years back. ball comes to me on the stairway. I completely miss kick it and it trickles down the steps. this inevitably activated much piss taking, instigated by some of the players. bastards.
  • In the late 60's as a nipper, I was stood on the east terrace leaning on the little red railing right down the front when a crunching 50-50 tackle happened right in front of me. The ball cannoned out from in between the two players like a bullet, heading straight for my face. In a split second I ducked and immediately heard a commotion behind. I turned to see a kiddy spark out on his back with blood pouring from his nose! They used proper heavy balls in those days lol