Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ideal squad size for League One

As of today how many first team players do we currently have, 18-19? The standard seems to be having enough players to field two teams, so 22, but I dont think even that is enough.

Whats actually is the ideal number? Im thinking 25-26. You have two sides worth as well as a few additional to cover injuries.

I cant see us having anything near that number come the first game of the season.

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2016
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015–16_Wigan_Athletic_F.C._season#Appearances

Wigan who won the League last season used over 30-players.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015–16_Barnsley_F.C._season

Barnsley who won the Play-Offs last season used a lot more players
  • Options
    The ending of emergency loans affects the calculations, as previously you could run a smaller squad between transfer windows, knowing that you could easily bring in a couple of extra players
  • Options
    MrLargo said:
    Around 30-35 players then... :)
  • Options

Yeah, but that's throughout a season not all from day one. We'll need another 18-19 players come Christmas when Slade finally persuades Mare that we're in danger of relegation. So we could end up with more than Wigan or Barnsley.
  • Options
    Stig said:

Yeah, but that's throughout a season not all from day one. We'll need another 18-19 players come Christmas when Slade finally persuades Mare that we're in danger of relegation. So we could end up with more than Wigan or Barnsley.
    Trouble is a lot of those loans for Wigan and Barnsley will be emergency loans which as @killerandflash says wont be available to any clubs going forward so that'll make life interesting across the whole of the Division.
  • Options
    More than we have got, in any case...
  • Options

MrLargo said:
    18 players with over 10 appearances. The main difference is the quality of the back up. Morrison gets injured so Cort comes in, Kermorgant gets injured so Hayes comes in, Green and Wagstaff fighting for one place, Pritchard providing cover for Stephens and Hollands. Inexperienced youngsters like Mambo, Bover and Smith play in the development squad with the odd first team appearance from the subs bench to help their development. Under the current imbeciles, players like that would start of as frontline reserves and end the season as first team regulars in a squad plummeting down the table.
  • Options
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35586425

Some interesting thoughts on the ending of emergency loans. I tend to agree with Barry Fry
    "What do clubs do? Do they carry a bigger squad to compensate for injuries or suspensions or do they go with what they've got, and if they do pick up a load of injuries, they've got to rely on their youth players. Now are the youth players good enough to make that jump into the first team?

"I can see some clubs carrying 35 or 40 players, which is far too many because they won't be able to afford them anyway and won't be able to get them off the wage bill by loaning them out. It's a crazy decision by Fifa."
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

MrLargo said:
    18 players with over 10 appearances. The main difference is the quality of the back up. Morrison gets injured so Cort comes in, Kermorgant gets injured so Hayes comes in, Green and Wagstaff fighting for one place, Pritchard providing cover for Stephens and Hollands. Inexperienced youngsters like Mambo, Bover and Smith play in the development squad with the odd first team appearance from the subs bench to help their development. Under the current imbeciles, players like that would start of as frontline reserves and end the season as first team regulars in a squad plummeting down the table.
    This is what Roland doesnt understand... He doesn't want to pay for players who arent going to turn up at the Training Ground and not be involved in the Squad every Saturday (He's said this himself) and I get his theory I really do but...

- Players are happy to sit on the bench... Just look at Nick Pope joining Burnley
    - Players (Again using Nick Pope as backup to Henderson) know that injuries will happen so chances will come along.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think it helps to have a keeper however many players there are in a squad. Could be wrong though, am sure KM knows better than me.
  • Options

I think it helps to have a keeper however many players there are in a squad. Could be wrong though, am sure KM knows better than me.

Katrien's thought process into this... A goalkeeper is just a Footballer who touches the ball with his hands, Spreadsheet men, from your pointless data find me someone who was penalised for handball more than anyone else last season
  • Options
    Rusty mentioned in his first press conference that he was looking at a 22-25 man squad with numbers 22 to 25 being kids.
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

Rusty mentioned in his first press conference that he was looking at a 22-25 man squad with numbers 22 to 25 being kids.

That's what he's been told he can have anyway.
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

That depends on who you classify as kids. We'll have members of our main squad (i.e. 1-21) who would be classified kids elsewhere!
  • Options
    Thanks to a Blades fan for doing the stats - but what do they know about getting out of League 1!!

What does the perfect League One winning team look like?

Previous finish: Relegated from Championship or mid-table in League One

Squad size (based on total starters): 26

Average age: 26

Starts made by players aged 25 and under: 49%

Number of players starting 75%+ league games: 7

Goals from defence and midfield: 36

Total goals: 84

New permanent signings: 5 (split between fee and free)

Previous club of new signings: ratio of 2 (higher league): 2 (League One): 1 (lower league)

Average age of signings: 26

Total loan signings: 4

Previous club of loan signings: Premier League or Championship

Average age of loan signings: 24
  • Options
    I think more players will arrive soon!!! Surely RD and KM can't get it massively wrong again! !!???
  • Options

Katrien's thought process into this... A goalkeeper is just a Footballer who touches the ball with his hands, Spreadsheet men, from your pointless data find me someone who was penalised for handball more than anyone else last season
    That even excludes Thuram then who was allowed to handle the ball legally! :open_mouth:
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

That even excludes Thuram then who was allowed on the pitch
  • Options
    The team posed for a picture before leaving their Hotel for Vienna Airport earlier... Hope thats not everyone as that squad size looks tiny!!

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    uie2 said:

I think more players will arrive soon!!! Surely RD and KM can't get it massively wrong again! !!???

Lightening doesn't usually strike in the same place more than once, however..................... :open_mouth:
  • Options
    Suspect the answer is 9 more than Roly will allow....
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

Not big enough IMO. It needs to be around 25 plus kids.
  • Options
    Hendo the only one in that photo not in club colours.
  • Options
    Ross said:

I thought a statement said that Henderson left the hotel early to return to England, assume yesterday
  • Options
    Ross said:

Which one is Hendo?
  • Options

Ross said:

Which one is Hendo?
    The one not in club colours ;-)
  • Options
    Ross said:

Ross said:

Which one is Hendo?
    The one not in club colours ;-)
    The two birds on the right arent in club colours... Any idea who they are?
  • Options
    The one far left in a green tee and baseball cap is Hendo, is it not?
  • Options
    Roland : "......25? But theres only 11 needed on the pitch."