Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Weird/useless facts

Comments

• iainment said:

Ten animals I slam in a net

is a palindrome

As is

A man, a plan, a canal, Panama.
    A bit late with that one mate.

Which is not a palindrome.
    No but it does rhyme.
    The first words ever spoken were palindromic - "madam I'm Adam".
  • Superbly delivered useless fact from Paulie in Sopranos:

Paulie Walnuts: Amazing thing about snakes is that they reproduce spontaneously.
    Tony Soprano: What do you mean?
    Paulie Walnuts: They have both male and female sex organs. That’s why somebody you don’t trust you call a snake. How can you trust a guy who can literally go fuck themselves?
  • You only need 4 colours on a map.

You can use just one. Makes it a bugger to work out where the borders are, mind.

For a long time, this (only need four colours to not have the same colour bordering itself) couldn't be disproved empirically but it took ages for the mathematical proof to be found (http://nrich.maths.org/6291).

Now that is a useless fact.
    I learnt that at school. Eleven years and that's about the best and most useful thing I can remember.
  • Ten animals I slam in a net

is a palindrome

As is

A man, a plan, a canal, Panama.
    But did you know

Rats live on no evil star ?
  • Celery has negative calories, you burn more calories eating a stick of celery than what it actually contains, the same applies to iceberg lettuce.
  • Sam Allardyce is England manager
  • 100 Male MP's were asked who or what had they last made love to ?

83= woman
    10= Man
    2=sheep
    2=goat
    1=Horse
    1=Milk bottle
    1=Pig's head
  • Celery has negative calories, you burn more calories eating a stick of celery than what it actually contains, the same applies to iceberg lettuce.

Myth
  • Fiiish said:

Celery has negative calories, you burn more calories eating a stick of celery than what it actually contains, the same applies to iceberg lettuce.

Myth
    Possibly not. There was a TV programme a couple of years ago where they weighed a person, weighed the burger they were going to eat and when they had done so the person weighed less than their previous weight plus the weight if the burger. The conclusion was that they had burnt up calories in the process of eating.
  • Sponsored links:

• Fiiish said:

Celery has negative calories, you burn more calories eating a stick of celery than what it actually contains, the same applies to iceberg lettuce.

Myth
    Possibly not. There was a TV programme a couple of years ago where they weighed a person, weighed the burger they were going to eat and when they had done so the person weighed less than their previous weight plus the weight if the burger. The conclusion was that they had burnt up calories in the process of eating.
    Your weight changes throughout the day and matter changes weight depending on its make-up. Did you know water has a different weight depending on if it is frozen, cold, room temperature or boiling? Pretty much every study on 'negative calories' has concluded it is a total myth.

Besides calories have little to do with weight, it is the measure of energy in food and different foods and different metabolisms deal with calories differently.
  • There have been over 275 flavours of kit kat in Japan

Mmmmmmm corn on the cob flavour......
  • edited July 2016

528 Boomerangs were lost In Australia Last Year.

They may not be lost and just not come back yet.
    ...and some of those lost boomerangs may just have been sticks
  • Dark haired people have around 100,000 hair follicles on their heads, where as blonde's have on average 150,000.
  • The Furze Wren.

A very large Weatherspoons in Bexleyheath. Also the original name for the Dartford Warbler. A little bird that you are unlikely to see in Bexleyheath … or Dartford for that matter. I could go on, but I fear that I’ve lost you already!

I thought that was spinach? (Or is that just that it makes you throw up?)
  • Bruce Forsyth is as old as sliced bread and one year older than Ann Frank.
  • PopIcon said:

Bruce Forsyth is as old as sliced bread and one year older than Ann Frank.

I'm glad I won't be the one making the "nice to see you" joke. No siree.
  • Kevin lisbie never scored a one on one in his entire professional career
  • Gil Scott Heron's dad was the first black player to play for Celtic......or something like that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Kevin lisbie never scored a one on one in his entire professional career

But still managed a hattrick against Liverpool
  • Strawberries are not really berries, however bananas ARE berries.
  • Danish pastry isn't called 'a Danish' in Denmark.
    It's called Wienerbrød (Vienna bread)
  • Bombay Duck is a fiiiish as you all know.

The reason this came about was the smell was so bad
    that when they transported it from the east coast to the west, they had to use the Bombay Mail train(Bombay daak in local lingo)
    The British thought they said Duck while having their afternoon Tiffin.

I'm on the right track, choo choo it over,but don't rail against me.
    (can't tell you the Train number, spotters)
  • cafcfan said:

I thought that was spinach? (Or is that just that it makes you throw up?)
    It used to be thought that spinach had even more iron in it than it actually does, hence the Popeye legend, but it later turned out that the person that did the calculation had the decimal point in the wrong place
  • Danepak said:

Danish pastry isn't called 'a Danish' in Denmark.
    It's called Wienerbrød (Vienna bread)

How do you know
  • CAFCsayer said:

Lionel Messi's new contract sees him earn £580k a week, which means that after tax he will take home a whopping £580k a week

He'll need it, he is a bit short
  • Imagine a rope that extends around the entire circumference of the world. Were that rope to be lengthened so that it extends a metre above the ground all the way round, that rope will only need to be lengthened by 6.28 metres.
  • McBobbin said:

Imagine a rope that extends around the entire circumference of the world. Were that rope to be lengthened so that it extends a metre above the ground all the way round, that rope will only need to be lengthened by 6.28 metres.

Yup I'm imagining it... Just pictured the rope burning up in the atmosphere... ;)