Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Weird/useless facts

Comments

• Options
    Oxford University predates the Aztecs.
  • Options

Surely the Empire rather than the peoples that made it up???
  • Options
    If your sister ain't you mother and you brother ain't your sister, you ain't proper Norwich
  • Options

Surely the Empire rather than the peoples that made it up???
    no, the Cadbury's chocolate bar?
  • Options
    Ten animals I slam in a net

is a palindrome
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Also did you know that old 60s TV broadcasts are bouncing back to earth and can, on occasion, be picked up by large satellite dishes?
  • Options

Also did you know that old 60s TV broadcasts are bouncing back to earth and can, on occasion, be picked up by large satellite dishes?

At least you could watch us win a World Cup
  • Options
    The world's first international cricket match was between Canada and the USA.

If you put an onion in a Martini it's called a Gibson.

Steam rollers don't roll steam.
  • Options
    Decks of cards. There are so many different combinations possible in a pack of 52, that if you were to pick up a deck of randomly shuffled cards, you are almost certainly the first person to hold those cards in that order.

Here's another way of looking at it:

"Imagine the total possible combination figure as time, a countdown clock that counts down from 8.065x10^68 seconds to Zero. How long would it be?

Well, first take any spot on the equator of the Earth. Take ONE step, after every ONE BILLION years. Keep doing this until you complete an entire round around earth. After one round is completed, take ONE DROP of water from the Pacific Ocean and put it aside. Keep doing both of these (completing a round then taking a drop) till the Pacific Ocean has dried out. Once the Pacific Ocean has dried out, place a sheet of paper on the ground. Now keep doing all of these (completing a round, taking a drop, placing a sheet of paper) till the tower of the sheet of paper REACHES THE SUN.

With this, the clock would have reached down TO... 8.062 x 10^68 seconds. Repeat all of this about 1000 times and you would be one-third of the way through."
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I understood the first bit.
  • Options
    I once appeared in an episode of The Tweenies
  • Options

I once appeared in an episode of The Tweenies

One of my uni housemate's sister played a Tweenie.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Decks of cards. There are so many different combinations possible in a pack of 52, that if you were to pick up a deck of randomly shuffled cards, you are almost certainly the first person to hold those cards in that order.

Here's another way of looking at it:

"Imagine the total possible combination figure as time, a countdown clock that counts down from 8.065x10^68 seconds to Zero. How long would it be?

Well, first take any spot on the equator of the Earth. Take ONE step, after every ONE BILLION years. Keep doing this until you complete an entire round around earth. After one round is completed, take ONE DROP of water from the Pacific Ocean and put it aside. Keep doing both of these (completing a round then taking a drop) till the Pacific Ocean has dried out. Once the Pacific Ocean has dried out, place a sheet of paper on the ground. Now keep doing all of these (completing a round, taking a drop, placing a sheet of paper) till the tower of the sheet of paper REACHES THE SUN.

With this, the clock would have reached down TO... 8.062 x 10^68 seconds. Repeat all of this about 1000 times and you would be one-third of the way through."

Really?I just looked up the average number of steps it takes to walk a mile: 2000, which would mean it would take 2000 billion years to walk 1 mile.
    The circumference of the world is 24,901 miles which means it would take 49,802,000 billion years to walk round the Earth. This is before you empty the Pacific Ocean one drop at a time and build a tower of paper to the sun.
    I can't believe 52 playing cards could create so many permutations, but then I always a dunce at maths.

• Options
    So how many ways can you order all the 52 cards in a pack?

The sum is 52x51x50x49x48....x4x3x2x1 and the answer is roughly:

80,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

That's an 8 with 67 zeros after it.

To put this in perspective, the dinosaurs died out 65,000,000 years ago, and the age of the earth is just 4,500,000,000 years. Now suppose everybody in the world was to arrange packs of cards at the rate of one per second, it would take 600,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 years to get all the combinations! That's why you're VERY unlikely ever to shuffle a pack of cards the same way twice.
  • Options
    edited July 2016

So how many ways can you order all the 52 cards in a pack?

The sum is 52x51x50x49x48....x4x3x2x1 and the answer is roughly:

80,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

That's an 8 with 67 zeros after it.

To put this in perspective, the dinosaurs died out 65,000,000 years ago, and the age of the earth is just 4,500,000,000 years. Now suppose everybody in the world was to arrange packs of cards at the rate of one per second, it would take 600,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 years to get all the combinations! That's why you're VERY unlikely ever to shuffle a pack of cards the same way twice.

Wow...I stand corrected.
    Edit: just looked up the word for 67 zeros which is septensexagintillion.

plus VAT.

• Options
    Anne Frank and Martin Luther King were both born in 1929.
  • Options
    You can't lick your own elbow.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    1StevieG said:

You can't lick your own elbow.

Personally no, but some people can.
  • Options

is a palindrome

And so is:

a man a plan a canal panama
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

is a palindrome

And so is:

a man a plan a canal panama
    Doesn't really make sense though does it.
  • Options
    Have you not heard of the Panama Canal ?
    It is quite big....
  • Options
    Doesn't matter how many Charlton supporters demonstrate, there will never be more than 2%
  • Options
    Eleven plus two is an anagram of Twelve plus One
  • Options
    Katrien Meire is a proper shithouse of a woman.
  • Options
    Yadrutas is Saturday backwards
  • Options

Kylie Minogue is an anagram of You like minge.

The Kylie is a variety of boomerang in the Western Australian Aboriginal language.
    MrOneLung said:

Have you not heard of the Panama Canal ?
    It is quite big....

If you are travelling from the Pacific Ocean into the Caribbean Sea along the Panama Canal you are travelling in a North Westerly direction.