Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Military coup in Turkey?

Jets and helicopters flying over cities. Army and tanks on the street.

Live info https://reddit.com/live/x9gf3donjlkq

Comments

• I'm a bit confused....so the Turkish military has taken over the country, because another military faction (inside or outside Turkey?) has tried attacking?
  • I'm half Greek Cypriot so I'm allowed one minor barb (that's really aimed at those who scaremongered about Turkey entering the EU) before resuming worried face :P
  • FFS, 4 weeks before we're due to go on holiday out there.
  • Clueless on why there would be a military coup in Turkey. Bloody worrying though.

Mind you I wouldn't even holiday there, as we discussed on a thread earlier in the year.
  • A long week for Boris.
  • I don't really understand. So the army overthrown the government? What would be their reason to do so?
  • Sponsored links:

• FFS, 4 weeks before we're due to go on holiday out there.

Don't worry, your holiday will be OK, you are probably going nowhere near to where the trouble is, (he says with crossed fingers, hoping he has helped DM to stop worrying about something, that may not happen)
  • PM claims it's not a coup. But says military action is unauthorised.

Source BBC.

Sounds to me like someone is in denial.
  • edited July 2016

I don't really understand. So the army overthrown the government? What would be their reason to do so?

Power and money.The army in Turkey have history of stomping their feet if their noses get pushed too far away from the trough.
  • Strange one. Didn't see it coming and I doubt anyone did... Erdogan is a madman though, but I dunno about what the military's motivation is... could be ok, but I doubt it
  • They've blocked social media accounts across the country allegedly, no twitter, fb, YouTube, instgram. - whst are they trying to silence??
  • ross1 said:

FFS, 4 weeks before we're due to go on holiday out there.

Don't worry, your holiday will be OK, you are probably going nowhere near to where the trouble is, (he says with crossed fingers, hoping he has helped DM to stop worrying about something, that may not happen)
    #calmitdownrossco #doesheknowwhohestalkinto #bonkersmental
  • WSSWSS
    edited July 2016
    Huskaris said:

Strange one. Didn't see it coming and I doubt anyone did... Erdogan is a madman though, but I dunno about what the military's motivation is... could be ok, but I doubt it

Issue is, is that a coup needs civilian support.

There are as many people who love and follow Erdogan religiously as those who hate him.

Could get very nasty.
  • JaShea99 said:

Not real something to take the piss out of, is it?

Or have we become so immune to tragedy / conflict it's now fair game?

If this is in reference to the hashtag comment, it's clearly not a piss take of the suituation is it? It's taking the piss out of the stupid, cringey, 'look how caring I am' generation of social media hashtaggers.
    Which means we're getting immune to it. :disappointed:
  • WSS said:

Huskaris said:

Strange one. Didn't see it coming and I doubt anyone did... Erdogan is a madman though, but I dunno about what the military's motivation is... could be ok, but I doubt it

Issue is, is that a coup needs civilian support.

There are as many people who love and follow Erdogan religiously as those who hate him.

Could get very nasty.
    Yeah, definitely could get nasty I couldn't agree more.

It looks like the military aren't keen on his conservative views and want Turkey to be a bit more chilled and Western, but it also looks like Erdogan was eroding their power. It could be that they are seizing power claiming "democracy" but actually they just want to retain all power.
  • Sponsored links:

• Chief of military is one of many taken hostage at military headquarters
  • This will either be the USA or Russia behind it
  • This is amazing I have spent a fair bit of time in Turkey, Canakkale where they are very Kemelest and anti Erdogan but never saw this coming...
  • I've read something hinting that it's the US behind it. Also just read on sky news they've announced they've imposed martial law
  • edited July 2016
    Turkey have had a lot of military coups. The military have been the ultimate guarantors of Atatürk's vision for the best part of a century. People thought that the Islamist government had rooted out that tendency but I guess they were wrong. It'll be interesting to see if Erdogan survives.
  • The US may be behind it, but the Army in Turkey sees itself as the guarantor of the country's secular character, so is perfectly capable of acting on its own as it has before. I think the AKP must have done something that has provoked them recently. THe fact that Erdogan is out of the country may also explain "why now".
    I imagine the coup will succeed or fail in the next 48 hours and then things will become clearer. Dave Mehmet's holiday may well be fine and he may even get an extra special welcome if loads of others cancel.

Whatever happens, I hope it passes off peacefully, there really are no winners if it doesn't.

• IAIA
    edited July 2016
    It's reported that Erdoğan was on holiday in Bodrum and now may or may not have left the country.

Also reported that the government had started a purge of Gulenists from the military a few hours ago.