Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Anzhi | Sat 16 July | 5pm KICK-OFF | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Charlton Athletic v Anzhi Makhachkala
Saturday 16th July 2016 … 5pm Kick-Off (BST)
Pre-Season Friendly

Introduction

Greetings from Austria… Home of the Sound of Music and the inventor of car manufacturer: Porsche, this is a land where Red Bull doesn’t truly give you wings and where Arnold Schwarzenegger never comes back from, and for centuries is where the greatest composers performed, the likes of Beethoven (no not the dog) and Mozart.

For just over a week it’s also where Charlton Athletic will be based, for the last few years we’ve spent summer in Spain and Belgium… It’s a long season ahead and with players surely seeing their team-mates more often than their partners; this is a time for creating bonds between team-mates which can never be broken… It’s not all fun and games though, not all about initiation song contests or relaxing bike rides… Russell Slade has promised his players that they’ll be up from 7am till 7pm, constantly working on the training ground.

Of course not all work can be completed on the training ground; some of the work must come against match opposition too… Whilst in Austria, the Addicks will play two matches against foreign opposition, starting this Saturday against: Anzhi Makhachkala

The Opposition
Name: Anzhi Makhachkala | Manager: Pavel Vrba
Division: Russian Premier League
Pre-Season Friendly Results:
- 04.06.2016 … Anzhi 3-2 Spartak Moscow II
- 30.06.2016 … Anzhi 0-2 Khimki

Apart from the three clubs that Moscow holds (CSKA / Lokomotiv / Spartak) and Zenit St. Petersburg; Anzhi are probably the next best known Russian side that exist… They were only founded in 1991, yet in 2011 the club were purchased by a Dagestani billionaire and the future looked extremely bright for a side based by the Caspian Sea.

As with any billionaire taking over a side, the big players promptly follow and one of the first to join was the legendary Left-Back: Roberto Carlos, also joining the Russian Revolution was Samuel Eto’o from Inter Milan… Sadly though despite an adventure in the Europa League (which saw them face Newcastle United), the adventure didn’t last long, three years after taking over the club the budget was cut drastically and Anzhi were relegated back to the 2nd tier

Thankfully (for Anzhi fans) they bounced back at the first attempt, upon their return last season they finished 13th which saw them finish in the Relegation Play-Offs, Anzhi survived though and will once again play top-flight Football next season yet gone for now are their hopes of competing with the major teams in vast country that is Russia.

Team News
As reported on the official website yesterday, only a handful of players have failed to travel to Austria for the pre-season camp; Jordan Cousins became our first major player to leave the club yesterday whilst Ahmed Kashi / Alou Diarra and El-Hadji Ba remained at home due to injuries.

Those who travelled though include the likes of Harry Lennon and Patrick Bauer whilst Jorge Teixeira has also travelled which’ll hopefully strengthen his slim chances of remaining with the club next season… Once again fitness will be the key factor for these matches so we should expect to see two different teams in each half.

For Anzhi it’s difficult because I don’t really follow Russian football yet there is a link between the two sides (Abdul Razak a brief Charlton loanee spent a short period with Anzhi back in 2013)… Other members of their squad include: Jonathan Mensah (Ghana) along with a collection of other Internationals from Armenia / Belarus / Ukraine and Ivory Coast.

Prediction
This’ll be a tough result to predict, Anzhi themselves have only played two friendlies but kicked off their pre-season a whole month before Charlton so will be fitter (especially as their season begins in just two weeks) so a repeat of our tour to Belgium last season and defeat for Charlton wouldn’t be a surprise…

Comments

• Options
    @ForeverAddickted Wait a minute. The Anzhi manager is Pavel Vrba????? That is the Czech national team coach. That must have happened while I was on hols (near the training camp as it happens). Not that it matters, but he is a class act, the guy who turned Viktoria Plzen from a provincial no-mark team to one of the two most powerful clubs in Czechia.
  • Options

@ForeverAddickted Wait a minute. The Anzhi manager is Pavel Vrba????? That is the Czech national team coach. That must have happened while I was on hols (near the training camp as it happens). Not that it matters, but he is a class act, the guy who turned Viktoria Plzen from a provincial no-mark team to one of the two most powerful clubs in Czechia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pavel_Vrba

Yeah your right it is the same bloke...

I'd have mentioned that in my Preview but just did a search on the Anzhi Manager and just copied the name from Google
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    If they come with a proper tooled up government sponsored firm I expect all the CARD lads present to stand their ground or a least chuck a plastic chair at the buggers!

As for the football, fecks knows...
  • Options
    There is no way that pencil case is getting throu security
  • Options
    The hills are alive to the sound of activists, maybe.
  • Options
    A heavy defeat should be a good confidence builder!
  • Options
    Had a look through the pictures of training, cant see KAG in there, anyone know if hes been taken? Wasnt in the bromley friendly squads either? Thought he may have been being looked at as a squad player this season? And still no news on charles cook?would be a shame if he goes too
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2016
    Be a good test against a top side ... interesting to see what Slade does .. pick a notional 'first team' and stick with it for the whole game, or carry on with experimentation and testing out the trialists .. I would LOVE to be there ... anyway .. yoddleyoddleyodeyayehde (I know the Swiss are the yodellers, but it's just next door)

BTW .. @ForeverAddickted .. terrific write up and immaculate research
  • Options
    Will be interesting to see what kind of teams we put out later on today and what kind of result we get.
  • Options
    10 nil.
  • Options
    Anyone know if there will be live commentary?
  • Options
    Pope
    Solly Tex Johnson Fox
    Holmes Jackson Crofts Harriott
    Ajose Novak

Is probably the strongest side we could put out, unless Bauer/Lennon are fit enough to start.

I would imagine this will be the first game that we play a full side for 60 minutes or so and then introduce people like Buxton, Konsa, THD, Ceballos etc.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

Id be surprised if the game isnt on something like Periscope...

Our match last season against Saint Truiden was although seeing we're playing a Russian side they'll be worried about giving away any secrets and will throw Olly into the Gulag
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

I think they have promised there will be.

So there won't!
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

SDAddick said:

So there won't!
    We didn't and there won't be, unfortunately. There will be the usual coverage across all the social media channels, providing George gets a decent internet connection!
  • Options
    Ajose injured and won't play.
  • Options

cafcfan said:

SDAddick said:

So there won't!
    We didn't and there won't be, unfortunately. There will be the usual coverage across all the social media channels, providing George gets a decent internet connection!
    Will this be the same when we face Maccabi on Tuesday?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I can't believe the amount of players that get injured for us.
  • Options
    dickplumb said:

I blame Erol Umet
  • Options
    edited July 2016

dickplumb said:

I blame Erol Umet
    Wasn't he the the lead singer of hot chocolate?
  • Options
    colin1961 said:

sam3110 said:

Pope
    Solly Tex Johnson Fox
    Holmes Jackson Crofts Harriott
    Ajose Novak

Is probably the strongest side we could put out, unless Bauer/Lennon are fit enough to start.

I would imagine this will be the first game that we play a full side for 60 minutes or so and then introduce people like Buxton, Konsa, THD, Ceballos etc.

No mate two sides 45 mins each ..
    Very tough game against top side who are weeks ahead of us in fitness and games , think their season starts next week .
    Let's hope if we lose and I expect we will we don't get ridiculous over reaction on this site later ..
    That's half the "fun" of CL. Knee jerk over reaction to things that have or have not or will probably never happen...
  • Options

Ajose injured and won't play.

And to think people on here took the pee when I suggested he might be injured earlier this week...
  • Options
    FORD said:

dickplumb said:

I blame Erol Umet
    Wasn't he the the lead singer of hot chocolate?
    You don't remember him, do you!
    This comment deserves more love