Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Driving in France- Telepeage toll payment

Hi,

I am due to be driving in France on the toll motorway network for the first time, in a couple of weeks. I have been told that the traffic will be horrendous because the number of people travelling for their holiday.

One forum that I looked at mentioned getting a Telepeage device which will give me automated and therefore quicker access through the toll gates, and the charges will come straight out of my bank account.

The company which promises to be able to do this is the UK is:

https://www.saneftolling.co.uk/support/telepeage

I am wondering if anyone has used this service, and whether they had any issues?

I would also like to check that the supplier is reputable before I give them my bank details?

Any guidance would be very much welcomed.

Matt

Comments

• I travel to Nice about four times a year and have used a telepeage device for about four years now. Had absolutely no issues what so ever, get billed at the end of the month, jobs a goodun! In my opinion they are worth their weight in gold especially at peak times, you can easily save your self a half hour wait even when the queues don't look overly bad. Make sure you look out for the dedicated 30km/h lanes, these are normally the first two lanes to your left and their is no slowing up let alone stopping!
  • Stockportaddick,

Thanks mate, that is really helpful.

Do you know if there are any charges to buy the device, or an annual subscription fee?

Also I'm looking for a reputable supplier, if you know of one?

Cheers!
  • Just use the sanef site. They are the same guys that ran the Dartford Crossing tolls I think. They are the UK (Harrowgate?) Branch of the French toll company. A friend has one and uses it a lot. For a one-off or infrequent trips, I'm not so convinced.
    I switch my bank debit card over to my Euro account and just bung that in the toll machine and have never suffered delays or much in the way of queues.
    But then I always avoid the French holiday season like the plague.
    Oh, check out the AA site to see if there's a link. They were offering a deal on the sanef tag.
  • I lied. Not the AA but Eurotunnel. Saves you the set-up fee. Here's the link.https://eurotunnel.com/uk/traveller-info/sanef-tolling/
  • fattmatt said:

Stockportaddick,

Thanks mate, that is really helpful.

Do you know if there are any charges to buy the device, or an annual subscription fee?

Also I'm looking for a reputable supplier, if you know of one?

Cheers!

Have a look here fm:

https://www.saneftolling.co.uk/support/faq/support-Faq.List/#1.0.

This is who I use and this page will show you the set up costs and any other charges. However, if you only intend using it for one trip it might not be worth it financially. You will have to weigh up whether the set up cost is worth paying to avoid the queues. I'd think about it if you are going all the way to the south. Remember, the set up fee includes a 20 Euro deposit which is refunded when you return the tag.
  • How did this workout?

I'm due to drive out there week after next and am considering it.
  • Not used it myself but have just got back from France. I cant remember a single toll where we had a car in front of us so not sure its a big issue. That's the beauty of the French motorways in my experience - they aren't that busy (although I suppose they may be busier in other areas that we didn't go to).
  • We have been on driving holidays for the last 3 years to France, and have always just paid as we go (though we tend to use N or D roads rather then motorways). Never had any problems doing it this way but we do avoid peak season (July/August).
  • In the winter holidays I drove 800 miles both ways just putting the debit card in the machine every time. There were some sections where I had to do it 3 or 4 times in about 10 miles as was changing motorways. Mostly though it was every 200-300 miles.

I reckon you would need at least 3 or 4 decent long trips or a larger amount of small trips on the French motorways a year to bother with this.
  • I've driven down Skiing before and notoriously the toll around Lyon was always an issue.

That said I'm going after the summer holidays but I don't want a 12 hour drive to turn to 14 with waiting at tolls.

I leaning towards buying the tag as I use motorways a fair bit
  • Sponsored links:

• Worth bearing in mind that some motorways are free to drive on...ie Vierzon to Brive handy if your heading south-west via the Dordogne....most road maps will indicate if a motorway is toll free, the map book I have actually shows where the toll barriers are.
  • edited August 2016
    I drove from Calais to the south coast (Beziers) last week taking a fairly central route via Paris, Clermont. Had to stop at about 5 toll booths and each time had to wait for around 10 cars. Would suggest getting the tag if you can.
  • Had one for years, never had a problem. Essential in my view if you are driving alone in a right hand drive car less so if you have a passenger to collect tickets and pay. Only pay a small fee for the month that it used and regardless of queues its worth it just to cut down on all the faff. Can be used at any booth not just the priority lanes so you can take your pick.
  • I gonna go for it heading down to just outside st tropez and been in the lanes before. Often had people washing your screen selling lucky heather etc whilst you wait
  • You need 'new gypo flash'.

A new additive you put in your windscreen wash that sprays an otherwise innocuous liquid onto anyone near the windscreen, when it comes into contact with itenerant nuisances, automatically changes colour to a bright purple die.

(Note may cause damage to be done to your vehicle)
  • I got a vinci card in my van, not sure if you can get temporary ones for holiday makers, i live in France which is a little known fact
  • I thought you had a shop near Grove Park BR station.
  • Just done a 3500 round trip to southern Spain. Had to peage tag and it was so convenient going through the 30kph booths so don't even need to stop rolling. A great drive down and back. Only complaint is the French style of driving on the motorways. You won't forget their desire to be as close as possible without touching. Even trying to undertake between a car and Morris's is amusing and terrifying all at the same time. Had a van driver deliberately cut me up at 70 mph whilst honking his horn. I was on inside lane and in a quiet section of 3 lane motorway which almost lead to us ending in the ditch. It took all I could muster not to return the favour but daughter and wife ensured I saw sense.