Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Nathan Ashton - former player turns robber

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/1431720/former-england-youth-star-guilty-of-a-string-of-armed-robberies-on-bookies/

Former charlton youth player arrested for armed robbery.

Bit random but saw it and thought some might be intersted.

Comments

• Options
    Only noticed it as the main photo on the sun homepage had him un the charlton shirt.

Dont understand what happens to make these players throe their lives aways like this?
  • Options
    Blimey, another one for that "bad boys 11" thread from a few weeks ago!

I always thought he was a full back?
  • Options
    He's even topping Ronnie Mauge on this one.
  • Options

Only noticed it as the main photo on the sun homepage had him un the charlton shirt.

Dont understand what happens to make these players throe their lives aways like this?

Often concentrate on football and if it's not bringing in a decent wage then have little other experience and/or skills to fall back on, I guess.

More support for coaching badges at a younger age would help.
  • Options

Not far away now from naming your favourite Charlton/Slade Prison xi!
  • Options
    nasty bastard .. give him 20 years (but he's pled out so will probably get 2 years) ..
  • Options

He was certainly a full back.
  • Options

Often concentrate on football and if it's not bringing in a decent wage then have little other experience and/or skills to fall back on, I guess.

More support for coaching badges at a younger age would help.
    More support in education for academy scholars is far more important.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Heard about this.. What went wrong, I seem to remember he was highly rated by curbs and subsequent managers.
  • Options
    Didnt he play for us in the League Cup against Carlisle (Back when we were a Premier League team)
  • Options

Didnt he play for us in the League Cup against Carlisle (Back when we were a Premier League team)

I remember him playing one game. He was quite small IIRC.
  • Options
    Nathan Ashton was a striker. Was given his chance by the legendary Iain Downe...
  • Options

Unbelieveable. Ashton's getaway driver hired a car in his own name. Thick as ....

Last thing he needed was getting done for Fraud or Deception, honesty is a virtue. ;)
  • Options

Nathan Ashton was a striker. Was given his chance by the legendary Iain Downe...

I think you might be thinking of James Walker
  • Options
    Came through the same time as Miles Weston I think and was highly thought of. If I remember correctly he left us to join PL Fulham. Getting released from football aged 18-22 must be tough, not made enough money to change your life, will have mates on a fortune and be thinking 'what if', and likely little education to fall back on.

Still, no excuse for what he did, hope he gets a long stint.
  • Options

He wasn't. He was a left back with us.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Apparently he never managed a shot in either profession.
  • Options
    Dizzle said:

I think you might be thinking of James Walker
    You are correct. Senility setting in. Thank you!
  • Options

I think you might be thinking of Iain Dowie... :smiley:
  • Options

I think you might be thinking of Iain Dowie... :smiley:
    Which is a crime in itself.
    Wired.
  • Options

Yes: his only game for us. And.....I think Myles Weston and James Walker were unused substitutes that evening.
  • Options
    He played in our most successful Leaque Cup Campaign ever

FACT
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:

He played in our most successful Leaque Cup Campaign ever

FACT

If that was the campaign that "climaxed" against Wycombe, quite a few of them who played that night deserved locking up.
  • Options
    A lot of youngsters don't realise that you haven't made it until you have made it. The closer you get, the harder you have to work. Until you do make it, you need a plan B. But having that has to come from inside the player, clubs can only do so much.
  • Options
    Shame. Pretty decent player at youth level.
  • Options
    Ashton was a left back. Saw him on many occasions. Tareiq Holmes - Dennis is very similar in style.