Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Spitfire!

Comments

• Jayajosh said:

Was watching a Channel 5 Programme last night on the Air France Flight 4590 (Concorde) that crashed back in 2000...

Doing a bit of research into Concorde this morning I cant believe a few years ago that it was voted as the best British design beating the likes of the Mini / Tube Map / Jaguar E-Type and the Spitfire... Despite being a damned good plane nothing can ever beat the Spitfire for me, magnificent aircraft!!

Concorde was developed in the 70s when most TVs were black and white, well advanced for its time.
    Biggest shame in aviation that it has never been looked at developing a new version... Though I doubt it will ever be economic enough to re-visit.
  • skywalker said:

"Despite its shortcomings, the Hurricane accounted for 656 German aircraft during the Battle of Britain - more than the Spitfire."

Yet more Hawker Hurricanes were built...
    Good thing too. The Spitfire, whilst a beautiful aircraft, was much less forgiving than the Hurricane (particularly in relation to landing gear). The Hurricane was ideal for often partly trained pilots (by peacetime standards) and could be more effectively used from dispersal airfields.

Mind you, both were luxury compared to the Gloster Gladiator (which, strangely enough, is a plane I quite like, because it's overlooked).
    Piloted by the Polish for us
  • Probably a few more about this week as war and peace about to start at folkestone racecourse
  • My cousin volunteers there and got taken up in the two seater as a surprise last year. Said it was fantastic.

If ever I win the lottery, it's the first thing I'm treating myself to (flights start at around £3k)

Is your cousin Paul Campbell?
  • Saga Lout said:

My cousin volunteers there and got taken up in the two seater as a surprise last year. Said it was fantastic.

If ever I win the lottery, it's the first thing I'm treating myself to (flights start at around £3k)

No mate
  • edited July 2017
    It is true that the Hurricane did the donkey work, but the Spitfire was the glamour - the best fighter of the time. I live in Hatfield which was the heart of the British avaition industry. It is sad nothing remains bar some street names. The first passanger jet airliner was built here - the Comet.
  • Hurricanes were much more dangerous to the pilot. They were liable to burst into flames when shot and the design of the plane caused the flames to be fanned into the pilots face leaving those who were lucky enough to survive with horrendous life changing facial burns.
  • edited July 2017
    I dug out the old(2011) "On Weald of Kent" thread and bumped it earlier this morning.
  • Those of you interested in the Spitfire and the Battle of Britain may like to hear that over the course of this school year, I've run a Battle of Britain project with my secondary school students, in which we wrote letters to the surviving 19 (now 17) pilots from the battle. We received replies from 13 of the pilots and/or their families including some signed photos and a 30 minute video interview from the oldest and highest-ranking pilot who now lives in Australia (he'd recorded the interview especially for the two boys who'd written to him).

None of the pilots live close enough to make a visit possible but I was invited down to Cornwall and Wales to meet two pilots and interview them for the kids (I took Spitfire beer as presents). I still can't get my head around the fact that I have sat and chatted with men who in 1940 were part of 'The Few' and that the students have in their possession, letters, etc which they will hopefully cherish forever. We've even heard from Dame Vera Lynn who wrote, also sending a signed photo and sharing her thoughts on the project.

Incidentally, what has come across from several of the Spitfire pilots is a deep affection for that plane which they say was a joy to fly.

That appears to be a universal sentiment among all who've flown one. The only criticism I've seen was the visibility whilst landing, especially when trying to get a Seafire (the Fleet Air Arm's version) on to the deck of an aircraft carrier.
  • Sponsored links:

• skywalker said:

"Despite its shortcomings, the Hurricane accounted for 656 German aircraft during the Battle of Britain - more than the Spitfire."

Isn't that because the Spits went after the 109's and 110's and the Hurricanes then took out the Junkers and Heinkels? Both planes were fantastic, and we should celebrate our engineering of both!
  • edited July 2017

Saga Lout said:

My cousin volunteers there and got taken up in the two seater as a surprise last year. Said it was fantastic.

No mate
    Would've been an amazing coincidence - Paul used to volunteer there - he now runs all the tours and is a paid employee (oh, and he's a mate of mine).
  • Saga Lout said:

Saga Lout said:

No mate
    Would've been an amazing coincidence - Paul used to volunteer there - he now runs all the tours and is a paid employee (oh, and he's a mate of mine).
    No, his name is John. Not too sure what he does there, I don't see him that often. I must get myself up there at some point though.
  • Saga Lout said:

Saga Lout said:

No mate
    No, his name is John. Not too sure what he does there, I don't see him that often. I must get myself up there at some point though.
    I've been a couple of times, most recently with my 93 year-old father-in-law, who sat in a Spitfire, although he was actually more interested to see the Hurricane they have up there. What make it so special is that it's not a museum - it's a working hangar where they restore Spits for private clients and, of course their planes are airworthy.
  • My dad went up in this last month and said it was absolutely fantastic fun. Starting from Biggin Hill over medway up to Dartford then over his house near Brands Hatch.

I think it was around £1000 but he said it was money well spent - that plane won't be living forever more
  • Shout out for the Battle of Britain Museum up on the hills outside Folkestone (Capel le Ferne?). Really fascinating and they have a couple of Spitfire's on show.
  • Shout out for the Battle of Britain Museum up on the hills outside Folkestone (Capel le Ferne?). Really fascinating and they have a couple of Spitfire's on show.

Have been meaning to visit this for a while. Heard that the security there can be a bit heavy handed and the staff a bit sniffy. I think they had something stolen few years ago and now treat every visitor as a potential thief.
  • edited July 2017
    we live 200M up the road from the National Memorial to The Few and are lucky enough to see Spitfires etc flying over every week and sometimes daily. Wing dips over the bungalow barrel rolls etc
  • edited July 2017

we live 200M up the road from the National Memorial to The Few and are lucky enough to see Spitfires etc flying over every week and sometimes daily. Wing dips over the bungalow barrel rolls etc

Could they be repro's?
    There aren't that many originals around.....and I somehow doubt they would be playing around doing aerobatics etc if they were.
    There are also a number of two third size kit versions around too.
    Not doubting what you say and it must be great to see them but just wondering if they are originals?
  • we live 200M up the road from the National Memorial to The Few and are lucky enough to see Spitfires etc flying over every week and sometimes daily. Wing dips over the bungalow barrel rolls etc

Could they be repro's?
    There aren't that many originals around.....and I somehow doubt they would be playing around doing aerobatics etc if they were.
    Not doubting what you say and it must be great to see them but just wondering if they are originals?
    There's more flying than you probably realise (well over 50) and more are being restored to flying condition.

At least one of the companies that offer flights go over the memorial as part of the experience so would imagine they're real.
  • Sponsored links:

• Well that's great to hear.......I'll try to get along there sometime.
  • edited July 2017

Could they be repro's?
    There's more flying than you probably realise (well over 50) and more are being restored to flying condition.

At least one of the companies that offer flights go over the memorial as part of the experience so would imagine they're real.
    I think there are just over 50 Spitfires still flying, but only a couple of Lancasters.
  • no idea if they are repros ---ill stop one and ask !!

Yesterday 4 times they flew over and as we r next to the white cliffs they are often filmed flying agsinst that back drop.

• no idea if they are repros ---ill stop one and ask !!

Yesterday 4 times they flew over and as we r next to the white cliffs they are often filmed flying agsinst that back drop.

I walked down near Deal and found a war memorial to the pilots of the WW1, hidden away in a field.
  • Last year spitfire and hurricane over the bungalow and cliffs
  • edited July 2017
    Saga Lout said:

Saga Lout said:

No mate

Could they be repro's?

The guy that Saga mentions is a mate of both of us, he works at the Biggin Hill hanger, they recently took delivery of a ME109, one of the very few flying in the world, most in the films were Me108s. Its close to airworthiness and they have plans to include it in the tariff of flights in the two seater Spitfire in as far as they want to offer punters a chance to be involved in a 30 minute flight and dog fight between a Spit and Me109.....BUT...it wont be cheap....they've just got to convince the insurance company.....

There are approx 55 spits and hurricanes flying at the moment many more being restored. There are two Lancasters flying and the people own UK one is hoping to offer flights in the Lanc as soon as insurance can be sorted.

In both cases they adopt the same insurance waiver as when you go bungee jumping or tandem skydiving.

I consider myself very lucky Ive visited the hanger and sat in a couple of Spits and also have part of a wing spar of a Spit that crashed nr Dymchuch during the BOB, also every clear spring and summer weekend, Spits fly over my house and during the airshow season the Lanc has been over many times, accompanied by a Hurricane and Spitfire. The Merlin engine is one of the greatest sounds ever.
  • Halix said:

Think of it as the worlds most expensive taxi ride.
    Obviously never tried to get a black cab back to Kent from Central London at 1am.
  • Last year spitfire and hurricane over the bungalow and cliffs

Great place to live mate! I am originally from Ashford and on the rare occasion I visit I (being ex-RAF) try and pop up to the memorial. I love it up there and they've done a great job of the (relatively) recent refurb/new build.
  • Sister in law went up in tiger moth other day don't know how much that cost though but bet that's good as well
  • Sister in law went up in tiger moth other day don't know how much that cost though but bet that's good as well

My first ever flight was in 1957(aged9) in my brother in laws Tiger Moth.....he was a member of Lincoln Aero Club (later to become chairman), and we took off and landed at Scampton of all places, where the Dambusters launched there legendary raid from. Remember it like it was yesterday.
    He was exRAF and he has been up in a Lancaster.
    He died a few years back and he was my favourite relative.....God bless you Colin my dear friend.