Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Advice on buying a car.

In the process of buying a car. Possibly from a private seller. Don't want to be ripped off at all , what things are best to look out for. Not just with the condition but best ways of finding out if it's reported stolen or HP owning I guess

Comments

• buckshee said:

In the process of buying a car. Possibly from a private seller. Don't want to be ripped off at all , what things are best to look out for. Not just with the condition but best ways of finding out if it's reported stolen or HP owning I guess

If you don't know what you're looking for, then get an AA inspection.
  • Don't buy a second hand one. Lease a new one

Just in the process of getting a new one myself.

I'm torn between buying or leasing.

Hmm pay £200 a month for a car I don't own... Not sure i'd fancy that.
  • Some useful stuff on the Government website: https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-status, https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history, https://www.gov.uk/checks-when-buying-a-used-car

Think I used Parkers for the Hire Purchase check, just go on google though, think they're all much of a much. https://parkers.hpicheck.com/

• Dazzler21 said:

Don't buy a second hand one. Lease a new one

Been discussed before but there is no point what so ever in buying a brand new asset that will depreciate by at least a third within three years. If you want brand new then lease.
  • ChiAddick said:

Dazzler21 said:

Been discussed before but there is no point what so ever in buying a brand new asset that will depreciate by at least a third within three years. If you want brand new then lease.
    The OP's buying a second hand car, not a brand new one.
  • MrLargo said:

ChiAddick said:

Dazzler21 said:

Only because leasing may not have occurred to them yet. I won't ever buy a new car again

• Sponsored links:

• MrLargo said:

ChiAddick said:

Dazzler21 said:

I was responding to Dazzler hence why I quoted him.

Second hand car buying is a minefield. As others have said get an AA inspection and do a thorough test drive.
  • I've bought a few cars without an AA inspection but if you don't know what to look for, I would really recommend one.

Depending on the age of the car you'd be looking for:

Rust or bubbling paint
    Noises (beware anyone who has the stereo on in the test drive)
    Signs of any dampness
    Engine sound while revving but not moving and when moving, make sure you can get up to at least 70 and push the car a bit round corners in the test drive
    Clutch and gearbox issues to change gear
    Do an emergency break and if the car doesn't keep going straight, don't buy it

Check the oil dipstick and the oil should hopefully be cleanish.

Bounce the corners of the car to make sure the suspension is working, check the suspension bushes if the vehicle allows

Check the brake discs for wear or distortion.

Check the wheels especially alloys for cracks and scrapes, the tyres for wear, the windscreen for cracks and all the electrics to make sure the work.

If the car has a sunroof, make sure it opens and closes with no issues at all.

Check under the bonnet for any signs of leaks.

Still worth getting the AA to do it for you.

Do you want an audi a3 :wink:
  • How about buying from a dealer?
    Someone like Trustford Eltham.
  • edited July 2016
    cabbles said:

Or an Avensis that may or may not have had a dog it the back, but is spotless inside...... ;)

• What car are you after and what's your budget?
  • Aside from the very decent advice alwaysneil has given some advice I swear by

Look at the tyres. If they are cheap ones and different brands then the car has been maintained on a budget. This is enough for me to steer clear. I buy cars off people I like the look of, if someone seems dodgy then they normally are. Listen for any knocking noises coming from the engine, pull the steering wheel from lock to lock and if it whines it will only get worse.

Look at the service documents and see where it was looked after and stamped.

What motor are you looking at mate?
  • Carter said:

Aside from the very decent advice alwaysneil has given some advice I swear by

Look at the tyres. If they are cheap ones and different brands then the car has been maintained on a budget. This is enough for me to steer clear. I buy cars off people I like the look of, if someone seems dodgy then they normally are. Listen for any knocking noises coming from the engine, pull the steering wheel from lock to lock and if it whines it will only get worse.

Look at the service documents and see where it was looked after and stamped.

What motor are you looking at mate?

Zafira tourer at the moment . Need it for the family I'm afraid.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201605103805128?search-target=usedcars&make=vauxhall&model=zafira_tourer&price-to=8000&sort=default&radius=50&postcode=da99qr&page=1&body-type=mpv&onesearchad=new,nearlynew,used&logcode=p&adPos=3
  • cabbles said:

cabbles said:

I'm after something a bit bigger for myself, the wife is in the market for a car as well so thought the A3 might be on interest to her, she's hell bent on an Alfa Giulietta.
  • T.C.E said:

cabbles said:

Or an Avensis that may or may not have had a dog it the back, but is spotless inside...... ;)

Not really my cup of tea mate. The towel was almost a deal breaker, but not quite enough to get the deal over the line.
  • Sponsored links:

• That actually looks OK to me.
    I would talk to the owner and ask if you could run it through an MOT (at your expense). £50 well spent and you get the MOT extension from March to Mid July.
    The MOT will bring up any advisories.
  • Oh, don't forget to scratch your chin and comment that the price is a bit steep.
  • That actually looks OK to me.
    I would talk to the owner and ask if you could run it through an MOT (at your expense). £50 well spent and you get the MOT extension from March to Mid July.
    The MOT will bring up any advisories.

Dealers seem to be wanting about another grand for one of these everywhere we've looked . Might be why I'm worried this won't be totally legit. Probably fine though.
  • Carter has it spot on in my experience also
  • T.C.E said:

cabbles said:

Not really my cup of tea mate. The towel was almost a deal breaker, but not quite enough to get the deal over the line.
    Are you more the scatter cushion type of fella, maybe a throw over the back seat. ;)
  • edited July 2016
    What about a Nissan Leaf rather than a Zafira. It's big enough for a family of 5 and you'll save a bomb each month in fuel costs. You can get them for low £200's a month on a PCP deal (15k miles/year) with a modest deposit. You should only go for it if you've got off street parking though. I test drive a lot of cars and if I didn't need to regularly do 300 miles a day I'd buy one.
  • What about a Nissan Leaf rather than a Zafira. It's big enough for a family of 5 and you'll save a bomb each month in fuel costs. You can get them for low £200's a month on a PCP deal (15k miles/year) with a modest deposit. You should only go for it if you've got off street parking though. I test drive a lot of cars and if I didn't need to regularly do 300 miles a day I'd buy one.

I was involved in installing chargers in domestic properties for the leaf. Don't want an electric car thanks.
  • buckshee said:

What about a Nissan Leaf rather than a Zafira. It's big enough for a family of 5 and you'll save a bomb each month in fuel costs. You can get them for low £200's a month on a PCP deal (15k miles/year) with a modest deposit. You should only go for it if you've got off street parking though. I test drive a lot of cars and if I didn't need to regularly do 300 miles a day I'd buy one.

I was involved in installing chargers in domestic properties for the leaf. Don't want an electric car thanks.
    Fair enough. Just throwing a curve ball at you. Good luck with the search.
  • Also check the address on the ownership document to make sure it's the same as the one your viewing/buying from.