Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

British Grand Prix

2»

Comments

• Options
    I'm no petrolhead, but the idea that the drivers in F1 are not sportsmen, to me at least, seems a bit mad. The physical and mental stress it involves is huge. Sure, it's undermined by the politics and financing of the sport, but that doesn't reduce the level of physical exertion and tactical nous that's required.

In a world where darts and snooker are regarded as sport, I couldn't agree that motor racing isn't. And to question tennis too... I think some people may have spent way too much time in their arm chairs.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

I'm no petrolhead, but the idea that the drivers in F1 are not sportsmen, to me at least, seems a bit mad. The physical and mental stress it involves is huge. Sure, it's undermined by the politics and financing of the sport, but that doesn't reduce the level of physical exertion and tactical nous that's required.

In a world where darts and snooker are regarded as sport, I couldn't agree that motor racing isn't. And to question tennis too... I think some people may have spent way too much time in their arm chairs.

To me, Sport is something that entertains people - and Tennis doesn't entertain me - its watched predominantly by screeching women who wet themselves when Djokovic takes his shirt off , the mens final is usually always Murray v Djokovic (yawn) - yesterday was an rare exception- and don't get me going on Womens Tennis !

In terms of global tv audience, according to sportsfacts.com, Tennis doesn't mention in top 5, whereas F1 does, with
    1 Football World Cup final
    2 Olympics
    3 Cricket World Cup final
    4 Super Bowl
    5 Monaco GP

http://sports-facts.top5.com/the-worlds-top-5-most-watched-sporting-events/?page=4&isp1=1
  • Options
    That's a ludicrous way of defining what a sport is.
  • Options
    http://www.biggestglobalsports.com/

According to this list, adding up total global viewers for each sport, rather than for individual events

1 Football
    2 Basketball
    3 Tennis
    4 Cricket
    5 Baseball
    6 F1
    7 American Football
    8 Athletics
    9 Golf
    10 Ice Hockey

Of course Tennis has a lot more events than F1, but it can't be denied that it's a massive sport with a global fanbase. Even if you combined all the forms of motorsport together, they would still be below tennis

Croquet is 95th :smile:
  • Options

Different websites have different agendas.

At least they're both above American 'Football' and golf -yesss !!

This website has Le Mans as the No 1 Sporting event in the sporting calendar !..

http://travel.nationalgeographic.com/travel/top-10/sporting-events/#page=2
  • Options

JiMMy 85 said:

To me, Sport is something that entertains people - and Tennis doesn't entertain me - its watched predominantly by screeching women who wet themselves when Djokovic takes his shirt off , the mens final is usually always Murray v Djokovic (yawn) - yesterday was an rare exception- and don't get me going on Womens Tennis !

In terms of global tv audience, according to sportsfacts.com, Tennis doesn't mention in top 5, whereas F1 does, with
    2 Olympics
    4 Super Bowl
    5 Monaco GP

http://sports-facts.top5.com/the-worlds-top-5-most-watched-sporting-events/?page=4&isp1=1
    So sport should entertain people.

Not been much sport at Charlton games for a few seasons then.
  • Options
    iaitch said:

JiMMy 85 said:

2 Olympics
    4 Super Bowl
    5 Monaco GP

So sport should entertain people.

Not been much sport at Charlton games for a few seasons then.
    Is beachball throwing a sport?

Entertaining, anyhow.