Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

BETDAQ New Principal Partner (Shirt Sponsor) - Confirmed

12345679»

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2018
    cafcfan said:

Halix said:

most of the firms who sponsored us in the past went bust (Viglen, Mesh, Woolwich, Redbus, Fads, KRBS, etc) I suppose they are just hedging their BETS (geddit!)

Just for the sake of clarity, Viglen and Mesh are still going strong; The Woolwich was taken over by Barclays; Redbus now trades as Telecity Group; and Kent Reliance - what KRBS is now called - is also thriving. That leaves FADs from your list. Otherwise, total accuracy there!
    KRBS closed all their branches and are now online only (im sure all their ex staff would agree thats thriving, as would all us Woolwich ex employees) Viglen were taken over by Amstrad I believe, I forgot Allsports and Llanera going belly up, so that basically leaves MESH still trading under their original name (which basically is what sponsorship promotes), so one out of about eight companies, hardly a ringing endorsement, but what do I know Im just totally innacurate.
  • Options
    KRBS have a branch in Canterbury
  • Options
    Have literally just moved some money into KRBS, they have 9 branches according to their website.
  • Options
    KBRS have a branch in Gravesend.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Halix said:

cafcfan said:

Halix said:

most of the firms who sponsored us in the past went bust (Viglen, Mesh, Woolwich, Redbus, Fads, KRBS, etc) I suppose they are just hedging their BETS (geddit!)

Just for the sake of clarity, Viglen and Mesh are still going strong; The Woolwich was taken over by Barclays; Redbus now trades as Telecity Group; and Kent Reliance - what KRBS is now called - is also thriving. That leaves FADs from your list. Otherwise, total accuracy there!
    KRBS closed all their branches and are now online only (im sure all their ex staff would agree thats thriving, as would all us Woolwich ex employees) Viglen were taken over by Amstrad I believe, I forgot Allsports and Llanera going belly up, so that basically leaves MESH still trading under their original name (which basically is what sponsorship promotes), so one out of about eight companies, hardly a ringing endorsement, but what do I know Im just totally innacurate.
    I'm sorry you feel I'm picking on you. But you said "went bust". You'll understand, maybe, that such a claim might give people that have deposits with Kent Reliance some degree of anxiety? It needed correcting.
    As for Viglen, they were taken over by Amstrad in1994 - before they started sponsoring Charlton - not afterwards. Since then they ended up as Sugar's last IT enterprise and still are with the HQ used for filming in that TV show.

So, as you say, what do you know?

Edited to add - Amstrad itself is now owned by Sky and makes their boxes.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    cafcfan said:

Halix said:

cafcfan said:

Halix said:

I'm sorry you feel I'm picking on you. But you said "went bust". You'll understand, maybe, that such a claim might give people that have deposits with Kent Reliance some degree of anxiety? It needed correcting.
    As for Viglen, they were taken over by Amstrad in1994 - before they started sponsoring Charlton - not afterwards. Since then they ended up as Sugar's last IT enterprise and still are with the HQ used for filming in that TV show.

I do feel you have been over pedantic, but Im sure my comment had customers banging in the doors of ALL of the KRBS branches trying to get their money out and needed urgent correction, what I was trying to say is that sponsoring the Addicks is not much of a advert for business expansion and success, and that we should probably be grateful of any company who is willing to support our Belgian benefactor.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

How much is it?
    Maybe CARD could be shirt sponsor, or ROT.

Would find it bloody hard to put money into Roland's pocket, even if it would embarrass the club a bit.
  • Options
    Davo55 said:

seth plum said:

How much is it?
    Maybe CARD could be shirt sponsor, or ROT.

Would find it bloody hard to put money into Roland's pocket, even if it would embarrass the club a bit.
    Has to be a no.
  • Options
    The Woolwich never went bust or ran into trouble, very profitable hence why Barclays bought them.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2018
    Rob7Lee said:

The Woolwich never went bust or ran into trouble, very profitable hence why Barclays bought them.

We were told at the time that when the Building Society demutualised and became a PLC that it had to grow to a certain size in order to be safe from hostile takeover. When the Woolwich failed to achieve that critical size it decided to fall into bed with Barclays.
  • Options
    Halix said:

Rob7Lee said:

We were told at the time that when the Building Society demutualised and became a PLC that it had to grow to a certain size in order to be safe from hostile takeover. When the Woolwich failed to achieve that critical size it decided to fall into bed with Barclays.
    That may be so, but it wasn't a failed business, it was very liquid and not in trouble. It had as much to do with those at the top doing so for their own accord.

What division did you work in @Halix ?
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:

Halix said:

Rob7Lee said:

That may be so, but it wasn't a failed business, it was very liquid and not in trouble. It had as much to do with those at the top doing so for their own accord.

What division did you work in @Halix ?
    True.

Retail.
  • Options
    Halix said:

cafcfan said:

Halix said:

cafcfan said:

Halix said:

I do feel you have been over pedantic, but Im sure my comment had customers banging in the doors of ALL of the KRBS branches trying to get their money out and needed urgent correction, what I was trying to say is that sponsoring the Addicks is not much of a advert for business expansion and success, and that we should probably be grateful of any company who is willing to support our Belgian benefactor.
    Yes, perhaps I was over pedantic; it is a trait. I apologise.

And I certainly take your point about football advertising. Is it worth it? I'd say not generally. Even for some of the bigger teams with extensive TV coverage, or as many would say, overexposure.

To give an example, some years ago my erstwhile boss (a Man City supporter of many years standing) was at a shindig in Tokyo. He met a local who politely asked him where he was from and he said Manchester. The Japanese guy smiled and said he was Chairman of Sharp Corporation# and that his company sponsored Manchester United. I know, said my boss, for that reason I will never, ever, buy one of your products, leaving the Sharp guy somewhat bemused.

I now swerve Nivea products, partially because of those excruciating TV ads but mostly because they sponsor the bin dippers. I think it's telling that huge numbers of successful businesses give football sponsorship/advertising a complete miss.

I can kind of see how it works at a local level - a supporter/HVAC firm sponsoring the shirt and having a box to "entertain" clients or maybe a car dealer offering discounts to fans.

But have Vauxhall sold even a single car because of their quite smart idea(?) of sponsoring the four home countries? It costs them a reported £6mn a year just for England. It is perhaps ironic, in the circumstances, that the deal ends after the World Cup....

And then there's General Motors. What in God's name are they doing pumping £50mn a year plus into Manure for the privilege of having the Chevrolet name on the shirt? Since the laughable idea of rebranding Daewoo as Chevy in the UK (no, it fooled none of us) died its inevitable death, you can only buy Corvettes and Cameros here, or indeed, anywhere in Europe (I think). Chevy registered (sold?) 42 cars in the UK last year (and 28 so far this year). So that's £1,190,000 going to Manure for each and every £40/50k car registered! Yeah, I know it's a global brand but that's some loss leader. Particularly as I suspect a significant number of those registrations went to Man U players as freebies.

(# Sharp, itself is now owned by Foxconn a private company based in Taiwan. Did Sharp's Man U sponsorship and the inevitable boycott by fans of other teams force that move? Foxconn is more (in)famous for making the iPhones and other Apple products. I sometimes wonder whether my ex-boss has extended his personal boycott to include those products too!)
  • Options
    An update: yeah it seems Man U first team squad members get a Chevy. So I reckon that means they are actually selling almost no new cars. It perhaps explains why one of the very few dealers in the UK is in Stockport!
  • Options
    Very true. I wouldn't buy any product (knowingly) that sponsors quite a few teams. Top of that list being Palace, Millwall, Arsenal, United, Liverpool and on...
    When I was younger I even got rid of a hi fi because Arsenal became sponsored JVC.
  • Options
    I assume that RD and the Aussies are working together on a lot of the business decisions taking place?
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

I assume that RD and the Aussies are working together on a lot of the business decisions taking place?

Never assume
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

If it seems like a good sensible idea then there’s no chance roly will be involved. In nigh on 5 years he will have made ONE good decision around Charlton Athletic, namely selling. That goes so painfully against his instincts it’s taking him the best part of a year and he’s doing his best to share out the agony as far and wide as possible. Septic old moron
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Do betdaq do any fan offers?

BOGOF in your local argos with a voucher from the betting company
  • Options
    Halix said:

cafcfan said:

Halix said:

Inaccurate :-)
  • Options
    Buggered if I understand how the betting works on their site.