Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

BETDAQ New Principal Partner (Shirt Sponsor) - Confirmed

Comments

• Options

Betdaq , I believe , is a betting exchange where one punter bets with another and the exchange take a commission off the winner like betfair .
    To me these are a much better thing than normal bookies which in my years of experience are a complete and utter joke .
    They won't close you down but they will restrict you to a minuscule bet affectively closing you down .
    I spoke to someone at the racing post to try and raise the issue but they weren't really interested because it's an old pals game I suppose .

If you start to win or have a winner they don't like you and you are affectively closed down .... I was closed down by firms and was the worlds worst gambler !
    When we got relegated the first time to league One I lumped On us to be relegated with Boylesports at 6/4 or something and said I'll only open an account if I can get £4k on it because they were best price I told em it's a sentimental hedge .... 3 months later they were best price 1/4 I asked for £2k and they restricted me to £50 ....
    Bet365 similar story backing the scum to go up and then restricted
    When I asked them what my history was the clown on the end of the phone said I was a net loser of £850 a year whilst the account was open , I said why close me , we don't like your style of betting , weirdos
    I understand they are a business but they only want losers on board or ones that bet in a way they like .... But they missed out on me and betfair punters benefitted !!

All theses gambling companies love a loser and for most gamblers they are exactly that more or less. I think the only way to win is to bet on dead certs (if there is such a thing), like one of my friends would. He would only bet on odds like 1/10, which to most seemed a bit crap but as he would say , you don't get 10% on your savings over night. But he too, found betting companies didn't like his style.
    Heads we win, tails you lose should be put above all bookies logos.
    Gambling has never remotely interested me so it will be easy for me to boycott the shirt sponsor, shame Richard Murray has changed his stance on shirt sponsors or maybe no one listens to him nowadays.
  • Options
    Banning winners is what the industry really means by its responsible gambling concept. "When the fun stops stop" is a warning to bookmakers not punters.
    It cares not a jot about the loser pouring his benefit money into a machine.
  • Options

Betdaq , I believe , is a betting exchange where one punter bets with another and the exchange take a commission off the winner like betfair .
    To me these are a much better thing than normal bookies which in my years of experience are a complete and utter joke .
    They won't close you down but they will restrict you to a minuscule bet affectively closing you down .
    I spoke to someone at the racing post to try and raise the issue but they weren't really interested because it's an old pals game I suppose .

If you start to win or have a winner they don't like you and you are affectively closed down .... I was closed down by firms and was the worlds worst gambler !
    When we got relegated the first time to league One I lumped On us to be relegated with Boylesports at 6/4 or something and said I'll only open an account if I can get £4k on it because they were best price I told em it's a sentimental hedge .... 3 months later they were best price 1/4 I asked for £2k and they restricted me to £50 ....
    When I asked them what my history was the clown on the end of the phone said I was a net loser of £850 a year whilst the account was open , I said why close me , we don't like your style of betting , weirdos
    I understand they are a business but they only want losers on board or ones that bet in a way they like .... But they missed out on me and betfair punters benefitted !!

All theses gambling companies love a loser and for most gamblers they are exactly that more or less. I think the only way to win is to bet on dead certs (if there is such a thing), like one of my friends would. He would only bet on odds like 1/10, which to most seemed a bit crap but as he would say , you don't get 10% on your savings over night. But he too, found betting companies didn't like his style.
    Gambling has never remotely interested me so it will be easy for me to boycott the shirt sponsor, shame Richard Murray has changed his stance on shirt sponsors or maybe no one listens to him nowadays.
    I agree.

As I've said to friends and family on many occasions: Have you ever seen a bookie living on the streets?

(And, yes, I have been known to have the occasional flutter...)
  • Options

People banging on about bookies like they're educating us. Of course we know the bookies win, the odds are always stacked in their favour!!!!! People like having a bet with money they can afford to lose. Just because some people don't have the self control, like piss heads or fat people, doesn't mean the 99.99% of other people have to suffer or be called 'mugs'.

You expect to lose and enjoy the experience.
    Very Charlton. ;-)
  • Options

People banging on about bookies like they're educating us. Of course we know the bookies win, the odds are always stacked in their favour!!!!! People like having a bet with money they can afford to lose. Just because some people don't have the self control, like piss heads or fat people, doesn't mean the 99.99% of other people have to suffer or be called 'mugs'.

You expect to lose and enjoy the experience.
    Very Charlton. ;-)
    It makes the winning that much more special.
    Extremely Charlton.
  • Options

So we've gone from hey kids get yourself educated to nah sod it have a flutter instead?

I can't wait for the day this lot sell up.

It's ranked the 107th best university in Britain. The equivalent of getting shooting practice from Simon Church.
  • Options
    Getting on for 200 posts about a sponsor on a shirt that the vast majority of people on here weren't going to buy anyway.

Let's be honest, people would've moaned whoever the sponsor was simply because they've aligned themselves with our wonderful owners.

As others have said, half the premier league have betting companies sponsoring them so if it's good enough for them, why not us?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2016

Getting on for 200 posts about a sponsor on a shirt that the vast majority of people on here weren't going to buy anyway.

Let's be honest, people would've moaned whoever the sponsor was simply because they've aligned themselves with our wonderful owners.

As others have said, half the premier league have betting companies sponsoring them so if it's good enough for them, why not us?

Because the club has previously taken a stance against betting companies being the shirt sponsor, for very good reasons. I know the club could of in the past received more money through these betting firms and still choose a different sponsor instead.
    But I also understand things and times change and the owners maybe are feeling the squeeze financial after their mismanagement and a relegation. Doesn't mean I have change my opinion that sponsor like theses are not good for the image of the club.
    We've nearly always had an 'Official Betting Partner' with links direct from the website, betting facilities in the ground, and we've always taken the shilling for perimeter advertising. Is the shirt really that much different?

• Options
    edited July 2016
    I really don't see the big deal with being sponsored by a betting company. Years ago lots of teams were sponsored by companies such as Carling, Holsten and the like. They just didn't put it on kids shirts.

As for the image of the club - I don't think it could get much worse, so a shirt sponsor isn't really going to make much difference.

Budweiser used to sponsor the FA Cup, I can't imagine fans saying, "oh no, we don't want to win that as its sponsored by a Alcohol company" A shirt sponsor is exactly that, and I'm sure we weren't spoilt for choice. I'm more amazed that we've managed to get 3 companies to be associated with us.

If they think that they will get publicity from protests they're wrong - the people wearing the shirts will be in the ground.

Besides do people think - "look Charlton are sponsored by UOG, I'll send my child there to do a degree" or "Llanera, I'll buy a villa from them"

Most companies that have there logo across out shirt end up going out of business anyway. I might see what odds Betdaq are offering on that.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Because the club has previously taken a stance against betting companies being the shirt sponsor, for very good reasons. I know the club could of in the past received more money through these betting firms and still choose a different sponsor instead.
    But I also understand things and times change and the owners maybe are feeling the squeeze financial after their mismanagement and a relegation. Doesn't mean I have change my opinion that sponsor like theses are not good for the image of the club.
    We've nearly always had an 'Official Betting Partner' with links direct from the website, betting facilities in the ground, and we've always taken the schilling for perimeter advertising. Is the shirt really that much different?

I would say that yes it is significantly different.

I'm an occasional gambler and it is quite legal but then so is safe sex but we wouldn't want Durex as main shirt sponsors even though it's a product many of us might have used.

There are two separate issues here.

1. Any shirt sponsor would have been seen as a target by protestors and more power to there elbows I say. Any sensible firm would have researched the club/fan relationship before signing a deal so would have expected some negative responses. betdaq either didn't or didn't think that they outweighed the advantages of the brand promotion it would bring.

2. The other issue is whether any betting firm would be a suitable main shirt sponsor at any time, regardless of regime. Not wanting the main shirt and stadium branding to be linked to gambling isn't the same as being against gambling.

I don't think it is the end of the world and it is far from the worse thing this regime has done. Other clubs have done it but I've always thought, naively perhaps, that we weren't just another club.

• Options
    Pleased that UOG, Andrews and Mitsubishi have seen that Charlton, in its current state, are a toxic brand and didn't renew their deals. A gambling company is probably the only option they had going for them in the current climate. I'm surprised that Staprix isn't on the front of the shirts. In any case, I won't be buying one, I won't be using BetDaq and I won't be buying a ST
  • Options

Who's Richard Murray?
  • Options
    _MrDick said:

Pleased that UOG, Andrews and Mitsubishi have seen that Charlton, in its current state, are a toxic brand and didn't renew their deals. A gambling company is probably the only option they had going for them in the current climate. I'm surprised that Staprix isn't on the front of the shirts. In any case, I won't be buying one, I won't be using BetDaq and I won't be buying a ST

And not many people will be buying a shirt.
  • Options

Who's Richard Murray?
    That sour faced old toad - the who is still lingering around like the smell that you used to get before the Blackwell Tunnell.
  • Options

bobmunro said:

We've nearly always had an 'Official Betting Partner' with links direct from the website, betting facilities in the ground, and we've always taken the schilling for perimeter advertising. Is the shirt really that much different?

I would say that yes it is significantly different.

I'm an occasional gambler and it is quite legal but then so is safe sex but we wouldn't want Durex as main shirt sponsors even though it's a product many of us might have used.

There are two separate issues here.

1. Any shirt sponsor would have been seen as a target by protestors and more power to there elbows I say. Any sensible firm would have researched the club/fan relationship before signing a deal so would have expected some negative responses. betdaq either didn't or didn't think that they outweighed the advantages of the brand promotion it would bring.

2. The other issue is whether any betting firm would be a suitable main shirt sponsor at any time, regardless of regime. Not wanting the main shirt and stadium branding to be linked to gambling isn't the same as being against gambling.

I don't think it is the end of the world and it is far from the worse thing this regime has done. Other clubs have done it but I've always thought, naively perhaps, that we weren't just another club.

Why not Durex?

It could be said that we have a few pricks playing for us.
  • Options
    Hmm. Interesting reading, with a lot of views on show here. As a problem gambler who has now severely reduced his activity from borrowing large amounts of money to gamble*, to the occasional flutter on the Grand National or similar, thought it might be best to give my two cents. Here is the list of things I have done as a result of shirt sponsorship:

- Not gone to the University of Greenwich
    - Not invested heavily in air conditioning or whatever it is Andrews Sykes do
    - Forgot that KRBS existed
    - Not bought any Carbrini sportswear
    - ... Okay, I have a FREE hat from Llanera which was signed by Zheng Zhi and Darren Bent
    - all:sports went bust lol
    - I have a Redbus home shirt which was originally my dad's that he got as a gift
    - I think we had a MESH computer but that was before the sponsorship
    - Still don't know what Viglen is (in my defence, I was born in 1994 so there's no real memories there)

*(NB large amounts is relative to situation and not an actual figure I plan on disclosing, as amount X may be a lot to one person and a mere drop in the ocean to another)

Basically what I'm trying to say is that I don't give a shit. Unwholesome? No more so than drinking or smoking. I think a lot of fans are eager to jump on "OOH THEY'RE A GAMBLING FIRM SO THEY'RE BAD" in order to continue to justify their already well-founded positions against the regime. Which is a little silly - it's more that they've associated themselves with us which is a bit stupid.

This isn't going to convince anyone. The odd person might sign up and take advantage of some CAFC only markets, but basically shit won't matter.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Well all I can say is well done CARD and the protests. Seems the fan protests might have put off some other more natural Charlton partners and perhaps BETDAQ and their ilk was the easiest (only) best option.

Well all I can say is well done CARD and the protests. Seems the fan protests might have put off some other more natural Charlton partners and perhaps BETDAQ and their ilk was the easiest (only) best option.

Red7Oak said:

I thought we sold ourselves as a family club now we a pushing on line gambling! Surely the two don't go together! :-(

So we've gone from hey kids get yourself educated to nah sod it have a flutter instead?

Maybe if we had not pushed away the potential decent sponsors, we would not now be faced with the less savoury sponsors. I also suspect KM's view of us is rather tarnished having been called a C, slag, associated with the Nabby Sarr song, heard the incest song. perhaps in their desperation to getting funding they did not realise that the fanbase actually do believe we are a family club, albeit quite disfunctional!!
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

Red7Oak said:

I thought we sold ourselves as a family club now we a pushing on line gambling! Surely the two don't go together! :-(

Maybe if we had not pushed away the potential decent sponsors, we would not now be faced with the less savoury sponsors. I also suspect KM's view of us is rather tarnished having been called a C, slag, associated with the Nabby Sarr song, heard the incest song. perhaps in their desperation to getting funding they did not realise that the fanbase actually do believe we are a family club, albeit quite disfunctional!!
    We didn't push away potential decent sponsors, we the fans that is, the club did it themselves. Ask Data Techniques for one example amongst several.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

colin1961 said:

Good deal for the club , you have to move with the times .
    Well done charlton ........

If you think it's good then it must be shit. Because you, Sir, are a wanker.
    Funniest line ever!

Be careful as you'll have Swisdom on your case.
  • Options
    It's probably worth pointing out that we play in the
    So it's not as if our shirt didn't already "promote gambling"
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited July 2016
    Not our choice though is it?

But to fair, we doing our damndest to get out of it.
  • Options
    WSS said:

Not our choice though is it?

But to fair, we doing our damndest to get out of it.

One way or another
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Kap10 said:

Red7Oak said:

We didn't push away potential decent sponsors, we the fans that is, the club did it themselves. Ask Data Techniques for one example amongst several.
    Don't delude yourself, the club are ultimately responsible but our fans wrote to companies that would have been acceptable, our fans sing the incest song, our fans used foul and abusive language ,... That is all encouragement for wholesome companies to sponsor us? In your dreams!!
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

seth plum said:

Kap10 said:

Red7Oak said:

Don't delude yourself, the club are ultimately responsible but our fans wrote to companies that would have been acceptable, our fans sing the incest song, our fans used foul and abusive language ,... That is all encouragement for wholesome companies to sponsor us? In your dreams!!
    Plus squirrel face and Duchatelet are destroying Charlton Athletic Football Club.

As an aside, are you a season ticket holder next season?