Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

BETDAQ New Principal Partner (Shirt Sponsor) - Confirmed

Comments

• Always remember Richard Murray at a Bromley Q&A when chairman saying he wouldn't embrace gambling sponsorship as football clubs have a social responsibility....

Hey ho, Richard

thought this myself last night but then remembered that Uncle Dickie sold himself down the river ages ago
  • Always remember Richard Murray at a Bromley Q&A when chairman saying he wouldn't embrace gambling sponsorship as football clubs have a social responsibility....

Hey ho, Richard

Yes, and that was always the way despite the money available being very decent.

Those firms didn't align with Charlton's values. What are Charlton's values these days?
    (Step.1) Make as much money anyway possible
    (Step.2) Make more money anyway possible
  • edited July 2016
    I'm actually waiting for BETDAQ to give me my free bet as part of my matched betting ventures
  • Just had a look at the OS. The club are making these names up aren't they? And the club's only computer has got its Caps lock stuck on.
    The ITRM bloke shaking hands with Slade is a dead ringer for the BETDAQ bloke shaking hands with Slade. Just different suits and in one of them he's standing on a box. It's just someone they've dragged in off the street isn't it? There're no real sponsors at all.
  • seth plum said:
    An 0870 number? It's been two years since it became a legal requirement that businesses provide a standard rate number (i.e. 01, 02 or 03) for their customer service lines. Anybody want to grass them up?

Mind you that was a pesky EU directive, so perhaps they don't give a crap any more.
  • i realise in the grand scheme of things it's inconsequential but that is so obviously photoshopped - why bother?
  • Sponsored links:

• Online bookmakers need to get themselves as well known as possible as quickly as possible. If that means pissing off 30k charlton fans by sponsoring a regime we are trying to oust so you think they give 2 shits?

If anything it will generate publicity for them and get their name mentioned more on social media and the world in general. Which is what they want.

This is actually an annoyingly clever move by whoever sanctioned it. They solve the problem of no local firms or organisations wanting to touch them and the sponsor gets publicity

Sooner the regime fuck off the better
  • Please don't tell me some of you are actually writing to them to complain?

"We were going to sponser Charlton for a season but then Big_Penis_1995 had a go at us on live chat so we decided not to".

Worked well enough with the coconut drink manufacturer. Did that pass you by. Most things seem to.

I'm sorry, I don't think we've ever had a conversation before, have we?
  • Ladbrokes started to slip behind the main players about 5 years ago. The board got twitchy and bought Betdaq, which was failing as an exchange. Betdaq would have a liquidity on markets that would run to the tens of pounds compared to Betfair's tens of thousand. Ladbrokes is still in shit hence their merger with coral. They probably just use Betdaq as a means to lay off large liabilities. So all those people saying it is a high profile company are talking tosh. It has been a joke in the industry for years.
  • seth plum said:

Just sent this to BETDAQ

Dear Sir or Madam,

My name is (sethplum) and I am a supporter and previously a season ticket holder at Charlton Athletic.
    Today you announced shirt sponsorship with my club.
    I am not writing to you to complain that you are a gambling company, but I am writing to you to say that I believe you have now associated yourselves with a toxic brand.
    I don't know if your company are aware of the disconnect between Charlton Athletic supporters and the regime that runs our club.
    Our CEO has described us as weird, our protest actions as racist, that we want our team to fail and any number of other objectionable comments and actions. As a result a huge number of Charlton Athletic fans now believe that our club actually and actively hate us.
    Sponsors such as Coco5 and Axis and others have either not pursued or withdrawn sponsorship, and indeed a previous club sponsor, Data Techniques have sponsored our alternative shirt which has sold 800 since it's launch only a couple of weeks ago, more protest shirts sold than I suspect replica shirts will be sold this season carrying your sponsorship.
    In addition Charlton supporters have received huge backing from football fans around the country who recognise that our current owners, albeit rich, are here to cynically exploit and manipulate our standing as a club, with no regard to the sporting institution that it is supposed to be.
    As a betting company I assume that you would at the very least want to be involved with sports that are essentially, well, sporting, where the progress of teams and matches are determined by an honest approach.
    By associating yourselves with Charlton Athletic you have now become a bit of a pariah in the eyes of many, not just Charlton fans but fans of other clubs.
    I imagine a campaign will now be launched that urges those sympathetic to our cause, and who wish to have a bet, to go to Paddy Power, or betfair, or somewhere else. Essentially bet with anybody except your company BETDAQ.
    I am half assuming your company has done it's homework and are aware of the vitriol that will fall on your company from some quarters, but the football community is a hardy, creative and resilient group, and there are many who will actively urge people not to gamble with BETDAQ but to choose an alternative.
    I am sure that the individuals in your company are great people, and nothing about this situation is personal to anybody at BETDAQ, but I believe you are now associated with a toxic brand that is the laughing stock of English football. Even positive results on the pitch will not wipe that away in my opinion.

May I urge you to withdraw from this sponsorship, I believe if you do there is a chance now that BETDAQ will be the betting company of choice for any gambling Charlton fans.

Yours Sincerely

seth plum

You cannot be serious!
  • I'm sorry, but when protesters turn up at Sparrows Lane to picket potential sponsors, supporters can't really complain that they don't like the business of our new sponsors.

I knew this would happen when I heard about the fans' picket. When you have a poster saying "Do you want to sponsor someone who is only interested in making money?", you can't then complain when the sponsor is exactly like that.

Personally, I am disappointed. It seems you can't do anything nowadays without a betting organisation jumping down your throat.

Oh! For simpler times...
  • Sponsored links:

• Essex_Al said:

seth plum said:

Just sent this to BETDAQ

Dear Sir or Madam,

My name is (sethplum) and I am a supporter and previously a season ticket holder at Charlton Athletic.
    I am not writing to you to complain that you are a gambling company, but I am writing to you to say that I believe you have now associated yourselves with a toxic brand.
    I don't know if your company are aware of the disconnect between Charlton Athletic supporters and the regime that runs our club.
    Our CEO has described us as weird, our protest actions as racist, that we want our team to fail and any number of other objectionable comments and actions. As a result a huge number of Charlton Athletic fans now believe that our club actually and actively hate us.
    Sponsors such as Coco5 and Axis and others have either not pursued or withdrawn sponsorship, and indeed a previous club sponsor, Data Techniques have sponsored our alternative shirt which has sold 800 since it's launch only a couple of weeks ago, more protest shirts sold than I suspect replica shirts will be sold this season carrying your sponsorship.
    In addition Charlton supporters have received huge backing from football fans around the country who recognise that our current owners, albeit rich, are here to cynically exploit and manipulate our standing as a club, with no regard to the sporting institution that it is supposed to be.
    As a betting company I assume that you would at the very least want to be involved with sports that are essentially, well, sporting, where the progress of teams and matches are determined by an honest approach.
    By associating yourselves with Charlton Athletic you have now become a bit of a pariah in the eyes of many, not just Charlton fans but fans of other clubs.
    I imagine a campaign will now be launched that urges those sympathetic to our cause, and who wish to have a bet, to go to Paddy Power, or betfair, or somewhere else. Essentially bet with anybody except your company BETDAQ.
    I am half assuming your company has done it's homework and are aware of the vitriol that will fall on your company from some quarters, but the football community is a hardy, creative and resilient group, and there are many who will actively urge people not to gamble with BETDAQ but to choose an alternative.
    I am sure that the individuals in your company are great people, and nothing about this situation is personal to anybody at BETDAQ, but I believe you are now associated with a toxic brand that is the laughing stock of English football. Even positive results on the pitch will not wipe that away in my opinion.

May I urge you to withdraw from this sponsorship, I believe if you do there is a chance now that BETDAQ will be the betting company of choice for any gambling Charlton fans.

Yours Sincerely

seth plum

You cannot be serious!
  • seth plum said:

Just sent this to BETDAQ

Dear Sir or Madam,

Yours Sincerely

seth plum

One small point - I think the betting choice for gambling Charlton fans will probably be the one that offers the best odds..
  • A few years ago before I stopped gambling betdaq was a proper joke firm, as mcgrandall points out a proper bucket shop and one you would never use because betfair always had better prices and liquidity
    Asked a mate who gambles for a living and his response was "They were owned by dermot Desmond who was something to do with Celtic .I think they sold them to ladbrokes but they don't know what to do with it. Liquidity is non existent I believe I give up on them about a year ago "

I wonder how the deal compares with our previous sponsorships whilst playing at the joint lowest level of league football we ever have .
  • Essex_Al said:

Ha, ha here we go again, it wouldn't matter if the Pope was sponsoring our shirts, you'd still find something to moan about or spin it to your advantage!

SHG, I'm surprised at you, you are one of the more sensible posters on here, but we only have BETDAQ as a sponsor because of CARD and the protests, that's laughable!

I very rarely gamble, but this company are sponsoring us for three years which in L1 is probably better than most. Thanks BETDAQ for the money and yes, lets hope it does help us get back to the Championship!

colin1961 said:

Good deal for the club , you have to move with the times .
    Well done charlton ........

Pair of tools 2/1
    Missing the point Evens
    There, fixed it for you

• Essex_Al said:

Ha, ha here we go again, it wouldn't matter if the Pope was sponsoring our shirts, you'd still find something to moan about or spin it to your advantage!

SHG, I'm surprised at you, you are one of the more sensible posters on here, but we only have BETDAQ as a sponsor because of CARD and the protests, that's laughable!

I very rarely gamble, but this company are sponsoring us for three years which in L1 is probably better than most. Thanks BETDAQ for the money and yes, lets hope it does help us get back to the Championship!

Fair points, but what is the likelihood that any revenue generated by this Is then put towards the creation of a winning team?

If the money just ends up as a small percentage of Starprix income, then the club will continue to lose ground. The only difference will be that we now have a fairly generic, dodgy sponsor.
  • Not the end of the world of course and don't bet myself so means nothing to me but it's just another little thing chipping away at what made us Charlton. I might have a bet on there still being a fans sofa though.
  • Carter said:

Online bookmakers need to get themselves as well known as possible as quickly as possible. If that means pissing off 30k charlton fans by sponsoring a regime we are trying to oust so you think they give 2 shits?

If anything it will generate publicity for them and get their name mentioned more on social media and the world in general. Which is what they want.

This is actually an annoyingly clever move by whoever sanctioned it. They solve the problem of no local firms or organisations wanting to touch them and the sponsor gets publicity

Sooner the regime fuck off the better

Alternatively they could pull out today to a blaze of publicity and approval. That would get their brand name out there.
    I believe it is known in the trade as cashing out early.