Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dallas police shootings

Comments

• Options

colthe3rd said:

Jayajosh said:

LuckyReds said:

Jayajosh said:

Why is it necessary for the Police to pull a gun all the time, what's wrong with using a taser?

In a country where gun ownership is incredibly common I wouldn't want to pull a taser on someone with a firearm.
    The police gun was already in the black guy's face before he reached for his licence so he would have been zapped with thousands of volts even if had gone for a weapon. I cannot see any excuse made in this particular instance.
    No excuses?? The guy had a gun on him! Why is he carrying a gun if he wouldn't use it?
    He was legally allowed to carry that weapon. That also doesn't mean he was going to use it on the police officer.
    Doesn't answer my question, WHY? Why carry a gun whether it's legal or not unless you were going to use it? I don't carry a cricket bat everywhere I go just because I'm entitled to!
    Is it any of your business why, just as is it any of my business why you would carry around a cricket bat? You could be getting it repaired, showing it to a mate or taking it to a cricket club to use. Whatever reason.
  • Options

colthe3rd said:

Jayajosh said:

LuckyReds said:

Jayajosh said:

Why is it necessary for the Police to pull a gun all the time, what's wrong with using a taser?

In a country where gun ownership is incredibly common I wouldn't want to pull a taser on someone with a firearm.
    The police gun was already in the black guy's face before he reached for his licence so he would have been zapped with thousands of volts even if had gone for a weapon. I cannot see any excuse made in this particular instance.
    No excuses?? The guy had a gun on him! Why is he carrying a gun if he wouldn't use it?
    He was legally allowed to carry that weapon. That also doesn't mean he was going to use it on the police officer.
    Doesn't answer my question, WHY? Why carry a gun whether it's legal or not unless you were going to use it? I don't carry a cricket bat everywhere I go just because I'm entitled to!
    Is it any of your business why, just as is it any of my business why you would carry around a cricket bat? You could be getting it repaired, showing it to a mate or taking it to a cricket club to use. Whatever reason.
    Haha oh my dear..
  • Options

colthe3rd said:

Jayajosh said:

LuckyReds said:

Jayajosh said:

On that basis, why buy a gun, or be allowed by law to buy a gun if it is never intended to be used?

This is the US of A we're talking about - the guy in the car had the constitutional right to bare arms.
  • Options

se9addick said:

How many black lives are saved by the police in the US every year?

Why is it relevant ?
    Well because if law enforcement in the US is so inherently racist, as quite a few people on both sides of the pond keep saying, surely this would be the case in them not wishing to save lives as well as cold bloodedly shooting non white folk on sight
    Eh - so because the police have done their job some of the time we can ignore a couple of summary executions here or there ?
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

se9addick said:

Why is it relevant ?
    Why isn't it relevant? It supports the fact that Black lives do in fact matter. ALL lives matter is what they should be championing.

Regarding taser use on baggy clothes

“The most effective place for a TASER probe to hit is one probe above the belt and one below the belt with a spread of a foot or more,” Tracy said. Baggy clothing can get in the way of probes making contact with the skin. Denim can stop the probes getting through all together. The probe can also come loose of the wire/skin and the probes can be shot too close together.

All of these scenarios would leave the intended target unaffected.

“A lot of times the top dart misses or the bottom dart misses,” Paxton said. "The top probe has a laser sight on it and is fired directly, while the second probe is fired at an angle. Firing it from a distance usually means a better spread of the probes, but the probability of missing is greatly increased by distance.”

It also is difficult to hit a moving target. If the probes are not shot directly into the subject, the TASER takes time and can be difficult to reload.

“The TASER X-26 (U.S standard Police issue) is limited to one deployment at a time,” Tracy said. "While the cartridge can be dropped and reloaded, reloading is difficult under stress.”
    But black lives clearly don't matter to all coppers in the states, that's entirely the point.
  • Options
    NEWSFLASH
    Business is booming at the gun repair shops as youths everywhere head to streets to get them fixed.
  • Options

colthe3rd said:

Jayajosh said:

LuckyReds said:

Jayajosh said:

For self protection, ironically, is the answer.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

colthe3rd said:

Jayajosh said:

LuckyReds said:

Jayajosh said:

On that basis, why buy a gun, or be allowed by law to buy a gun if it is never intended to be used?

This is the US of A we're talking about - the guy in the car had the constitutional right to bare arms.
    I'm not disputing American gun laws are daft mate, if they made it legal in Britain tomorrow I certainly wouldn't carry one.
  • Options

bobmunro said:

colthe3rd said:

Jayajosh said:

LuckyReds said:

Jayajosh said:

I'm not disputing American gun laws are daft mate, if they made it legal in Britain tomorrow I certainly wouldn't carry one.
    Well let's agree then to thank our lucky stars that no government in the UK would ever do such a thing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

NEWSFLASH
    Business is booming at the gun repair shops as youths everywhere head to streets to get them fixed.

Did you come up with that one yourself ?
  • Options

Jayajosh said:

LuckyReds said:

Jayajosh said:

He stated (according to the video) that he was licensed to carry a fire arm and that he was reaching for his wallet.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

Jayajosh said:

LuckyReds said:

Jayajosh said:

So, using your analogy, it would be ok for an officer to, let's say tazer you if we are saying this country, just because you are carrying a cricket bat? You don't think there would be any sort of uproar? I mean yes, if you were holding it in an aggressive manner or were charging at an officer, completely understandable. But what if you had it in your bag, told the officer it was in your bag and he tazered you. That would be fine would it?
    If I resisted arrest and went for my cricket bat I would expect the full physical force of the law. Fortunately I'm not dumb enough to carry a weapon everywhere I go nor would I resist arrest/search etc if I had nothing to hide.
  • Options
    edited July 2016

se9addick said:

Why is it relevant ?
    Well because if law enforcement in the US is so inherently racist, as quite a few people on both sides of the pond keep saying, surely this would be the case in them not wishing to save lives as well as cold bloodedly shooting non white folk on sight
    This feels like a spurious argument...but since you're asking. You can work out how many lives saved by subtracting the murders etc. from the population. At which point you will arrive at a conclusion that the police save more white lives than black (both in absolute terms and as a % of the population.). The police are, in effect, failing to prevent a lot of murders of black people (mostly perpretated by other black people). - though of course a lot of those are very difficult to prevent in the current climate.

Lost in all this discussion is the viewpoint that the Dallas police dept has actually made real efforts to clean up its act and be less discriminatory. Complaints have fallen significantly in recent years. So I'm not clear why the demo was in this city specifically, or what the particular agenda of the attackers was... All round, what a tragic mess....
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

bobmunro said:

53 years ago in Dallas, the best hope for Black America to make some progress disappeared with the Shooting of JFK. How ironic that the Grandchildren of black Americans from the 60's still feel the same way despite having a Black President.

IMO had MLK and Robert Kennedy not gone the same way then things would have progressed, however shocking JFK's assassination was. At that point it seemed that anyone trying to do the right thing was a target.

The gun culture is out of control. If everyone is (potentially) armed, then not surprisingly the police will overreact at the merest twitch from someone in a tense situation, and we know they are more likely to overreact more to people with particular profiles. Prison & arrest are not deterrents, which is why the jail population is ridiculously high.

Agreed. For me it was Bobby's death that ended the hope.
    Agreed, and somewhat ironically, it was Jack's death in Dallas that really changed Bobby. Bobby was known for being a little shit (not necessarily one who was wrong) when he was Attorney General. His brother dying really softened him. He was a man who, by 1968, was genuinely committed to racial and socio-economic healing within the United States. He was shaking the hand of a Hispanic cook who'd stopped him in the kitchen after a speech when he was shot dead.
    I just remember JFK's assassination (certainly remember where I was and what I was doing when I first heard) but clearly remember Bobby - and I recall it hitting me with great sadness.

One of those single moments in history that change everything.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

NEWSFLASH

Comical answers get comical responses my friend.
  • Options

colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

Jayajosh said:

LuckyReds said:

Jayajosh said:

So, using your analogy, it would be ok for an officer to, let's say tazer you if we are saying this country, just because you are carrying a cricket bat? You don't think there would be any sort of uproar? I mean yes, if you were holding it in an aggressive manner or were charging at an officer, completely understandable. But what if you had it in your bag, told the officer it was in your bag and he tazered you. That would be fine would it?
    If I resisted arrest and went for my cricket bat I would expect the full physical force of the law. Fortunately I'm not dumb enough to carry a weapon everywhere I go nor would I resist arrest/search etc if I had nothing to hide.
    He didn't resist arrest.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

se9addick said:

Why is it relevant ?
    Eh - so because the police have done their job some of the time we can ignore a couple of summary executions here or there ?
    You know that ain't what I'm saying ffs
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

Jayajosh said:

LuckyReds said:

Jayajosh said:

He didn't resist arrest.
    What were they doing before he was shot then cuddling?
  • Options

se9addick said:

NEWSFLASH

?

You're the one who was comparing cricket bats and guns.

0/10 trolling there
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2016

colthe3rd said:

Jayajosh said:

LuckyReds said:

Jayajosh said:

Whether it's legal or not?

It was legal that's all that matters, he advised the officer that he was licensed to carry and was then shot after advising he was reaching for his wallet.

The officer was definitely in the wrong here.

The victim done all that he had to legally to make the officer aware that there was either a gun in the car or on his person and the officer shot before thinking because he was terrified that it could have been the gun the man reached for.

If he had reached without giving the warning that he legally had to give, would the officer have fired shots?

Would the officer have been more or less at risk of fatal error?

Did the law actually cause this man's death more than protect his life as it should have?

(If he had been illegally carrying a firearm then I can understand his being shot, but he was licensed and declared so, the officer should have told him what actions to take after declaring the firearm was on him...)

WE KNOW THE USA SHOULD IMPOSE A SIMILAR LAW TO THE UK ON FIREARMS BUT THAT WON'T HAPPEN

NEWSFLASH

hardly the time for jokes either.
  • Options

bobmunro said:

Of which 136 are African American mate

So the majority are not black then

#whitelivesmatter

but black people make up only 12.4% of the US population
    Henry, don't spoil his argument with facts.
    They may or may not be facts, if they are facts, they dont really explain the reason behind all of these deaths. Dont get me wrong, at the moment, these latest two shootings look to me as though the police are in the wrong. I've spent some time researching this over the last few months and have come across some interesting videos on YouTube on the subject...

Could anyone on here honestly say that they would pass this 'test
    '

https://youtu.be/dwQEKcKjASw

Another point of view to the one we keep getting fed

https://youtu.be/WBTaR7sA4X4

..and another

https://youtu.be/sSln6rqcGRs

These three videos sum if up to me. (I know that 2 of them are Fox News, but that's pretty irrelevant imo

• Options

se9addick said:

se9addick said:

Why is it relevant ?
    You know that ain't what I'm saying ffs
    I honestly don't.
  • Options
    edited July 2016

colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

Jayajosh said:

LuckyReds said:

Jayajosh said:

He didn't resist arrest.
    WTF? Why are you arguing over a situation you haven't got a clue about?

It was a routine car stop, he had a CCL so was legitimately allowed to conceal a firearm on his person. Upon being requested for his driving license, he alerted the officer that he had a firearm on his person - the officer seemed to misread the situation and subsequently shot him 4 times.

The debate lies about how he informed the officer that he had a weapon on his person (i.e "I've got a gun." vs "I've got a CCL, and I'm carrying at the moment.") and whether it genuinely looked as though he was going to draw his weapon, and not his license. Video evidence is only available in the immediate aftermath of the shooting, although I believe the officer may have been wearing a bodycam - so ultimately the full details should come out.
  • Options

colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

Jayajosh said:

LuckyReds said:

Jayajosh said:

He didn't resist arrest.
    I have a feeling we're talking about different incidents.
  • Options

se9addick said:

NEWSFLASH

?

You're the one who was comparing cricket bats and guns.

0/10 trolling there
    Just helping you understand by putting it an English scenario but was obviously too much for you.
  • Options

colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

Jayajosh said:

LuckyReds said:

Jayajosh said:

He didn't resist arrest.
    He was told by the officer to get his identification. He went for the glove box saying that he had a concealed carry license and there was a gun in there; but he was reaching for his wallet (which had his license in).

The police officer then shot him 4 times.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

Jayajosh said:

LuckyReds said:

Jayajosh said:

He didn't resist arrest.
    I have a feeling we're talking about different incidents.
    The conversation began about Philando Castile though?