Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton can win the Premier League in the next 10 years

2»

Comments

• Options
    Dave2l said:

Thank you for being positive.

The Leicster story was an enormous one off and there are not many similar examples at all.

Has it given a strange amount of hope to the little clubs?

Yes. It's basically said....it can, in fact, be done. It's opened a gate of imagination. For example, this thread.

The premier league is not just made up of a pre determined boring money money spend spend top 4. Leicster just pissed all over that one. They are remarkable. The achievement is outstanding and historically timeless.

Agreed, that remarkable and prestigious place of being the underdog that won the Premier League is probably only ever going to be available to one club in modern history (Leicester). The chances of lightning striking twice with this sort of obscure outcome is highly unlikely IMO.

In 20-30 years time I won't be surprised if the term 'doing a Leicester' is still relevant, as nobody else would have matched it.

With what they achieved last season they really did cement themselves as possibly laying claim to the greatest football story ever told. It's theirs, it happened once, it's not being replicated.
  • Options
    10 years ago there was the use of Charlton in the media as a bench mark for smaller clubs who over achievied and we were seen as the type of well run , respected family club, established in the Prem , that others wanted to emulate. 10 years is a long time in football as we now enter League 1 for the second time after leaving the Prem.

In terms of this thread, apologies but I see it as a point less discussion given our current situation and owners. With new owners and a new philosophy then who knows. We might be winning the Prem in 10 years, we might be in the South London Sunday School League, that's the whole point of committing your football allegiance to one team for your whole life - the journey. If you allow it to be its the only constant in your life, it's very personal and it matters, which is why what the current owners are doing is so painful because we are not customers and it's personal for us what they doing , they are upsetting, distressing and alienating us from theclub which means something to all of us and is an integral part of our lives and our very being.

Also, an argument could be put forward that as supporters of a club we are here for the journey and not the destination, and our current sad plight is part of that journey. We support the club for family and geographic reasons and what ever will be will be. Leicesters current success is part of their journey.
    Ten or so years ago Leicester of League 1 beat Premiership Charlton at the Valley in the FA Cup 5 th round. Following your team is a journey not a destination. Live in the present, be part of all the ups and downs because that is the point. Those on here reading this will all understand, for others if you want to just take your pick of whoever is currently doing well and winning things and have a hollow meaningless bask in some one else's glory, but what's the point ?
  • Options
    If it was year 2006 I would like the original post. But now that we're just relegated to League One and the crazy owner is still in charge, I feel a post like that is.... odd to say the least. I'd just be delighted if we'll get back to the Premier League in ten years' time.
  • Options

If it was year 2006 I would like the original post. But now that we're just relegated to League One and the crazy owner is still in charge, I feel a post like that is.... odd to say the least. I'd just be delighted if we'll get back to the Premier League in ten years' time.

Think it's mostly based on the fact that Leicester got relegated to league one not too long ago....and came out the other end after a number of years with flying colours.
  • Options
    Dave2l said:

Think it's mostly based on the fact that Leicester got relegated to league one not too long ago....and came out the other end after a number of years with flying colours.
    Fair enough. But we're stuck with one of the worst owners in the entire English football and I think there're bigger things we should be worrying about at the moment, like where we'll be in a year's time.
  • Options
    lardiman said:

If Leicester City can do it, then Charlton Athletic can do it.

Yes, we have almost impossible obstacles to overcome, but then so did Leicester. There is no reason why what they achieved in the 2015-16 Premier League season cannot be repeated by another Club, if the right decisions are taken and the right environment is created.
    Leicester City being Champions of England is the greatest single achievement by any team in Premier League history. It is proof that nothing is impossible if a squad of good players is managed well enough to have absolute belief in themselves.

In these times when cynicism, gloom and alienation have come to dominate the outlook of so many Charlton fans, it is worth reminding ourselves that it is not a crime to dream.
    Dreams cost nothing, and they can't be bought or sold by the likes of Duchatelet and Meire. Dreams belong to any fan who dares to have them. And if you're going to dream you might as well dream Big Time.

Take another look at that gleaming Premier League Trophy and imagine it wreathed in our colours. Imagine the name of our Club engraved on it. That would be the footballing adventure of a lifetime, and it can come true.

Your thoughts?

When do you go to big school ?
  • Options
    Premier league? Completed it mate
  • Options

There was a time not that long ago that teams at the level above Charlton's current level, dreamed of 'doing a Charlton'

*cries*

There was also a time when we dreamed of doing things that they were doing - all depends at what point you joined the ride
  • Options
    I would just be happy to have a decent owner, a competent CEO, and to be competitive in the Championship. Then let's start dreaming of glory.
  • Options
    To emulate Leicester we'd need an owner who had the desire. Let's compare notes.

Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha: Genuinely wants Leicester to succeed. Has brought in the best managerial talent available and has invested in the team. Has built strong relationships with the fans and is so keen to establish Leicester internationally that he's put a club shop in Bangkok airport.

Roland Duchatelet: Genuinely wants to prove a crackpot economic idea. Has brought it the best managerial talent he could get after the real prizes had snubbed his crackpot administration. Gave away our best players and replaced them with Eurotrash. Has alienated fans first by blanking them then by publicly attacking them. Is so keen to establish Charlton as a joke club that he's employed an incompetent CEO and sanctioned a sofa a house dj and an inappropriate advert.

Oh yeah, three seasons and we'll be national champions. What an absolute joke!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    When does the £1,000 10 yeat bet on here that Charlton won't get back to the premiership expire?
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Charlton are like England: flatter to deceive, but when it comes to crunch time, they absolutely 100% bottle it. When was the last time we won a must-win game, when the pressure was on and we showed grit and mental strength to get through? We would never have the belief and the drive to do what Leicester did. It would take a massive systemic shift.

And it's not all about the club internally, we as fans would need to reboot our expectations. For years it's been piss and moan as soon as someone loses the ball. We have a "we shouldn't be in this league [championship]" attitude that cuts the ground from beneath our feet and spits poisons from the stand to the players. This started even before RD showed up. Even in our League One winning season, the Valley was not a comfortable place for our players to play in. 'Fortress Valley' has never been so far away and I don't see it coming back in the next 10 years. The premier league spoiled us and we're still throwing our toys out of the pram.
  • Options
    I dunno I thought we did quite well against Rotherham away last season then you had the pressure cooker of the two Sheffield games when we won League One... I get what you mean though, they are few and far between as straight after Rotherham we lost to Bristol City whilst the Sheffield games were a few years ago now.
  • Options
    We can and do all dream but we need an owner that shares that dream
  • Options
    Anything can happen. But it won't. There are a lot of clubs currently outside the PL in a far stronger position than we are likely to be in the next decade, even if the Belgians go. We are likely to be satisfied if we are in the Championship in ten years' time.
  • Options
    lardiman said:

Thanks for the replies so far - this was not a wind-up post, I genuinely believe we could win the biggest prize one day.
    The hardest work was done last season, by a squad costing roughly £30m proving the Premier League can be won by other means than throwing obscene amounts of money at it.

Now if the day comes that we win promotion to the Premier League, there is no need to limit our ambitions to finishing 4th bottom. There is nothing that cannot be achieved if the squad and the manager and the support structure at the Club is right.
    If Charlton ever return to the Promised Land, it should be to conquer rather than to merely survive.

I'd be delighted if we were still in L1 in ten years time!
  • Options
    Sure, we can do it, it is possible, in the same way that Greenwich Borough could get promoted every season from now and have 2 go's at winning the league.
  • Options
    I really like the opening post , so incredibly positive and for a change the doom merchants haven't met it with level pessimism I expected , great post and I'm with you all the way brother !!!
  • Options
    Someone has been playing Football Manager a little too often
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Where do you start with this ridiculous thread. To get to where Leicester are you need to have an owner who is not only wealthy but has a passionate interest in his club. It is not just an investment, although make it successful and in these inflated times you might just get more back if you did decide to sell. Next you need a proper structure. We have a totally inexperienced CEO and little professional support staff. I do believe that with the appointment of Russell Slade and these early signs of a change of attitude by Duchebag he may have learned some lessons from last season. However by relying solely on an inexperienced and at times unprofessional CEO he is unlikely to achieve the sort of success and return on his investment he is probably looking for.
    I for one hope we get out of League 1 at the first attempt but getting to the Championship only gets us to where we were when he took over. There will need to be considerable work to be done to keep us there and push us to the Promised Land. The longer it takes the further clubs like ours will lose out on the financial aspects of playing in the Premier League and surely when the money is ratcheted up further the Premier League will move heaven and earth to keep it that way with a Premier League 2 and restricted entry to those clubs not in the top 40 to gain entry in to the new structure.
    Therefore in my opinion the next 2 seasons are crucial for us to return to an established professional set up with a strong ethic towards success. If this does not happen then we be part of the also rans of football.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    I think it's worth bearing in mind that for all the advantages Leicester City apparently have over us, they were almost relegated from the Premier League in the 2014-15 season.
    By their performance that season they were just another also-ran side, who barely escaped the drop.

So what changed?
    What or who was it that transformed this struggling team - no threat at all to the established Premier League Elite - into Champions within a single season?
  • Options
    There is no magic ingredient - I think it's a combination of things - like us in the late 90's early 00's - a good board, fan momentum, a great manager - probably the manager is the single biggest factor - I have high hopes of slate - something about him seems to fit just right
  • Options
    Charlton can win the Isthmian league within 6 years.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Sod 10 years we can do it in 3, we have a great ground, United fan base, an ace owner, a very clever CEO and the manager and the team are so bloody awesome we beat the almighty Welling United 4-1 aim high I say, sod it I'll put a tenner on it now :lol:
  • Options
    I'd say three seasons, two relegations and then Conference Premier champions!! Sorted!