Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Iceland - holiday advice

I was wondering if I could consult the CL oracle for travel advice for Iceland in July. I'm going there at the end of this month, staying in Reykjavik for 5 days. Holiday was booked before I knew England would be playing them. I've already planned a trip to a match there.

Has anyone been at this time of year? Do the glacier/volcano tours happen in the summer?

For anyone who's been to Iceland, what are the must-sees? Northern Lights will be a no-go. Also, is it better to book tours ahead or arrange them when we get there?

I'll definitely try the Einstok beer based on NorthLowerNeil's thread.

Comments

• Unbelievable place, we loved it and could happily go back. People are great, Culture is great, scenery is other worldly.

We booked tours ahead, but I would seriously consider getting a car and doing it yourself. Really easy to get around, and you'll have he roads mostly to yourself and it means you can get to some of the villages/towns missed by tours. Each town has a hot spring which you can use at a fraction of the cost of the blue lagoon. Though I would still say go to the blue lagoon as it is excellent and has a swim up bar.

If you're not so much into the adventure the tours are good and well priced, though Reykjavik is an expensive city.

We went in April and the tours were on, imagine they will be in July too. You'll have near 24 hour sunlight so can get out for longer to the further waterfalls that we never got to. The long days are weird.

Writing that has made me jealous. You'll love it I'm sure.
  • edited July 2016
    Take plenty of money. I endorse the above post re hiring a car.
  • Reykjavik also appears to be hipster central, so take your thick rimmed specs, grow your beard and pack those ironic t shirts and skinny jeans.
  • If you see Peter Andre punch him in the face for the smug adverts!!
  • Blue Lagoon Spa, The Golden Circle tour. Visit a geothermal power plant. You can book the tours at the hotel you stay at. And it is expensive. Why no to Northern Lights?
  • Best time of year to go. If you play golf, have a late round. I remember seeing people start a round at about 10pm. I can't understand people who go for New Year, when it's dark round the clock.

Beer (and most other things) is expensive, but a pint costs very little more than a half (like in Ireland). They're probably not called pints, but you know what I mean.

We went with an Exodus guided tour, so I can't advise on getting around.

Be prepared for damp and wet weather.
  • Blue Lagoon Spa, The Golden Circle tour. Visit a geothermal power plant. You can book the tours at the hotel you stay at. And it is expensive. Why no to Northern Lights?

Because the Northern Lights cant be seen in July
  • We got a hire car (get it insured through a 3rd party, don't pay extra for their stupidly priced insurance, we used a site recommended by money saving expert) and drove everywhere. We didn't book on to any tours except a whale tour which was fantastic, saw minke whales and white beaked dolphins (a friend did the same and saw killer whales and humpbacks, git).

The roads are fantastic and the speed limit is low so you can really appreciate the stunning scenery that you pass through. We drove the golden circle tour in a day and spent lots of time driving to volcanoes and waterfalls.

It is expensive, as I am sure you have been told many times. If you haven't booked accommodation I would recommend air b'n'b as you can get the basics fairly cheap and it saves a lot cooking for yourself if you are on a budget. If not, prepare to splurge!

The blue lagoon was OKAY, not great by any stretch, if you are pushed for time I wouldn't bother, maybe find a hot spring elsewhere that isn't a spa resort. We had the good fortune of having some stag dos there whilst we were.

We had an amazing time and would love to go back given the opportunity. Enjoy!
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2016
    Have just come back from a trip to Iceland and can thoroughly recommend it. The weather was fine and sunny mostly, with one windy, rainy day. As any Icelander will tell you though, if you don't like the weather - wait 5 minutes. Be prepared for anything between glorious sunshine and windy rainstorms on any given day. The flies can be a right pain as well at this time of year but they don't bite, just fuff around your face which can get annoying.

The golden circle tour is pretty good, the scenery in Iceland is epic just about everywhere! A lot of people also head to east Iceland for camping/cycling if that's your thing, but not so many people that you can still feel like the only person on a massive planet.

There was also an article on the Daily Telegraph about 30 reasons why Iceland is so brilliant

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/europe/iceland/articles/iceland-the-best-things-to-see-and-do/
  • IA said:

I was wondering if I could consult the CL oracle for travel advice for Iceland in July. I'm going there at the end of this month, staying in Reykjavik for 5 days. Holiday was booked before I knew England would be playing them. I've already planned a trip to a match there.

Has anyone been at this time of year? Do the glacier/volcano tours happen in the summer?

For anyone who's been to Iceland, what are the must-sees? Northern Lights will be a no-go. Also, is it better to book tours ahead or arrange them when we get there?

Spoiler alert: Had the White Beer last night, nowhere near as impressed. The porter though I can't recommend enough!!
  • Missed It said:

Have just come back from a trip to Iceland and can thoroughly recommend it.

Surprised anyone was there. Thought they were all in France.

It hasn't been mentioned much, mind...

• IA said:

Spoiler alert: Had the White Beer last night, nowhere near as impressed. The porter though I can't recommend enough!!
    I was really disappointed by the white beer. Just tasted watered down to me.
  • Thank you all for the recommendations.

I'll have a look into renting a car, but I'm not sure if we'll go for that. I hadn't considered how much possibility we'll get from the long days.

Everyone talks about how expensive it is. Someone suggested buying at the airport in Reykjavik. I've also been recommended to do happy hour for less expensive beer.

Does Iceland have any foods that should be tried?
  • Reindeer nads
  • IA said:

Thank you all for the recommendations.

I'll have a look into renting a car, but I'm not sure if we'll go for that. I hadn't considered how much possibility we'll get from the long days.

Everyone talks about how expensive it is. Someone suggested buying at the airport in Reykjavik. I've also been recommended to do happy hour for less expensive beer.

Does Iceland have any foods that should be tried?

The profiteroles are ok. The rest is just cheep frozen muck.
  • IA said:

I was really disappointed by the white beer. Just tasted watered down to me.
    Reminded me of a cloudy lemonade type radler, and a little bit of Hoegaarden.
  • Reykjavik bound to have a Maccy Ds
  • IAIA
    edited July 2016
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2016
    Seriously, food wise - they eat some funny stuff. I remember sour Rams testices and boiled Sheeps head on a couple of menus.
  • edited July 2016
    From someone who visits every few months and have lived there in small periods, don't expect it to be a cheap one - just take it in your stride. Cab's are very very expensive out there so if you go out for some beers downtown at the weekend, don't expect a quiet cheap one if you have to grab a taxi back.

Pretty much everyone speaks English and they are friendly - but a lot more friendly once they've got some booze juice down them.

What'sOn (that's the name) is a good tour company with very friendly owners, I know one of them quite well - think they still have a shop in the main street of downtown (downtown literally isn't that big at all you won't miss it).

Also try a shot of Brennivin, I dares ye. :smiley:

Happy to recommend places to eat and places to grab a drink if you'd like.
  • IA said:
    That ain't a bad thing. I wanna go Iceland
  • IAIA
    edited July 2016

From someone who visits every few months and have lived there in small periods, don't expect it to be a cheap one - just take it in your stride. Cab's are very very expensive out there so if you go out for some beers downtown at the weekend, don't expect a quiet cheap one if you have to grab a taxi back.

Pretty much everyone speaks English and they are friendly - but a lot more friendly once they've got some booze juice down them.

What'sOn (that's the name) is a good tour company with very friendly owners, I know one of them quite well - think they still have a shop in the main street of downtown (downtown literally isn't that big at all you won't miss it).

Also try a shot of Brennivin, I dares ye. :smiley:

Happy to recommend places to eat and places to grab a drink if you'd like.

We're staying in an Air BnB in central Reykjavik, so should be able to walk back at night. I'll try Brennivin. We would plan on cooking mostly in the apartment, but will probably go out for a couple of meals and would like to try a few pubs. I'd love recommendations, thank you very much
  • Beautiful place. I was there 10 years ago. This was my travelogues from that time:

http://chicagoaddick.blogspot.com/2006/04/reykjavik.html
  • edited July 2016
    Wise! Definitely go out for a few meals, some lovely food and water is free (about the only thing that is ;-))

The FoodCellar ( I know the owners son - it's a small place is Iceland, he owns many restaurants and bars in Reyk) is new and everything is run to perfection in there, lovely for a drink and/or food but nice too just sit and have a drink, also not too well known yet so quite quiet in a nice way. http://veitingastadir.is/en/city/all-locations/listing/matarkjallarinn/ not too hard to find at all.

The Fish Company (he owns it too - I'm not just advertising him, I promise) which is very easy to find on google as it's so well reviewed. One of the best reviewed restaurants in Iceland, the food is UNREAL, fish like you've never had it before. A bit more expensive here but I'd say worth it. Even if it's the only place you eat out.

Irish bar downtown is quite popular, a bit more fun loving than elsewhere and home from home but with plenty selection of drink. Will be stag do's and whatnot there if you go in the evening of a weekend.

Also last but not least Íslenska Hamborgarafabrikkan (think it means Icelandic Hamburger Factory or something similar lol) - two in Reyk. The one I went to had a 'live' population counter which was pretty unique, it just went up - somewhat slowly and didn't go down at any point thankfully - nice 'American-esque' burgers.

Enjoy :D and don't worry about the language, Nei is no, Já is yes and Takk is thank you. You'll get by on those and English. :blush:
  • Perfect, thank you very much for those suggestions, Atletico.

Thank you for the links, Chicago and MissedIt. I'll read them this evening.
  • Another food recommendation - http://maturogdrykkur.is/ is well worth going
  • I had a long weekend in Reykjavik a couple of years ago. Enjoyed the place but the prices left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth. There are some reasonable priced places but you have to hunt for them.

I'd recommend renting a car. It'll pay a good chunk of it's cost just avoiding the taxi fair to Reykjavik from the airport which is miles out of town. All the "tours" are easy enough to plan for yourself with a map and then you get to linger, or skip on, various points as you wish. We had no issues but I have friend who went and they tried to make out she'd been driving on the dirt roads without permission (which she hadn't) and that she was liable for some huge extra fee because the car needed respraying from sand damage. This was obviously bullshit and she just refused to pay and left and that was the end of it, but something to bear in mind. We rented with Avis or Budget (same company) and no problems.

We did a whale watching trip out of Reykjavik which I really enjoyed, but wildlife watching is my kind of thing. The golden circle tour is great too, but like I say a piece of piss to navigate for yourself without paying for a pricey tour. The blue lagoon is a must too.

It's a bit out of town, but if you like shell fish this place was great http://www.fjorubordid.is/.

When we got off our plane, I would say 90% of the locals exited via the duty free store with trolleys full of booze. It's alright for a few days, but there is no getting away from the cost of eating and drinking out there.
  • Don't let anybody know you are an English football fan, they will laugh at you for your whole stay.