Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Should Tony Blair be indicted as a war criminal?

The Chilcott report is finally released tomorrow.

A fund has existed for some years which pays out to anyone who performs a citizens arrest on Blair for war crimes.

I think three people have been paid for this and it has kept this on the news but:

Should Blair have to deal with a criminal court at The Hague?

Comments

• Options
    After whats been going on the last few weeks, nothing would surprise me. Did the ravens leave the Tower of London recently?
  • Options
    I think they keep the odd Raven well trained (or caged) to ensure that there will always be Ravens in the Tower.

Tony wouldn't be top of the list of world leaders for me to be up against the wall.
  • Options

The Chilcott report is finally released tomorrow.

A fund has existed for some years which pays out to anyone who performs a citizens arrest on Blair for war crimes.

I think three people have been paid for this and it has kept this on the news but:

Should Blair have to deal with a criminal court at The Hague?

Do you think that the kind of people who could sanction his arrest and trial would want to set a precedent like that? That said in an ideal world I'd try him. If you lose a war you should have to publically defend your actions.
  • Options
    Even if a shit load of money was spent prosecuting him, he'd weasel his way out of it.
  • Options
    I was more thinking that he could potentially have prosecuted an illegal war.

If he had been successful perhaps the question would not be asked.
  • Options
    Carter said:

If there is any justice in the world he will stand trial for war crimes. So should George Bush

Sadly, tragically it won't happen. It is disgusting it's taken 7 years for this report to be released.

Dr David Kelly's death should have made anyone with a brain and heart stop that illegal war.

How that tragedy has escaped the full investigation by independent sources and the media bar a few lines and innuendoes is a disgrace. We have enough conspiracy theorists about but all seem too tied up with 9/11 and Lady Di.
  • Options

I was more thinking that he could potentially have prosecuted an illegal war.

If he had been successful perhaps the question would not be asked.

You're right. I was being cynical about judicial investigations into conflicts that are won.
  • Options
    I'm not sure I could be bothered to indict Blair.

Dr Kelly's death is an strange one in that it all looked a bit odd. It felt to me like what I would do if I was in a Bourne film or was Putin. Just deal with him.

I hope that didn't happen, his death did seem strange at the time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2016

I think they keep the odd Raven well trained (or caged) to ensure that there will always be Ravens in the Tower.

Tony wouldn't be top of the list of world leaders for me to be up against the wall.

Any chance your list is being held upside down then?

That he will get off scot (derived from shot) free is a crime in itself.
  • Options
    Haha.

No.

Would not want to publish a list in case it came to the knowledge of the people at the top of the list and then my life would be in danger, can't see Tony or his boys popping round to off me.
  • Options

I'm not sure I could be bothered to indict Blair.

Dr Kelly's death is an strange one in that it all looked a bit odd. It felt to me like what I would do if I was in a Bourne film or was Putin. Just deal with him.

I hope that didn't happen, his death did seem strange at the time.

It was murder!
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    AlwaysNeil
    You've not met the evil Mandelson, then?
    ;-)

• Options
    I doubt the Chilcott Report will be too earth shattering. Everything contained and made available to the public is surely going to be very plain and highly sanitised to comply with the requirements set out via the 29 October Protocol. You would expect anything of note to fall under those guidelines when discussing war, intelligence and the decisions behind going to war.

The Dr David Kelly issue is a very interesting one though. I always looked at it as though he was clearly murdered, but having just done some reading again.. I'm not sure who by. The police response of gutting the wallpaper from his house when he was reported missing suggests - to me - there had been a clear threat to his life but he was being protected if anything.

As for Blair? He's a slimey snake, and although I would never trust him - I still think we have worse in Europe at the moment. He should be made to answer some questions though, and most likely should be prosecuted for his actions leading up to the Iraq War. Then again, so should certain parts of the intelligence community who facilitated his actions.
  • Options

Riviera said:

Tony Blair will escape scott free. There will be nothing in the report blaming any individual. Why the hell it's taken 7 years to write is simply pathetic and ridiculous; the war itself only lasted six years for goodness sake!

The Iraq war isn't really over though, is it? Will be going on for a long, long time to come.
    An incredibly good point.

Should Blair not be burdened with his share of responsibility for ISIS, arguably even the atrocities they've committed on European soil - i.e Paris?
  • Options

Riviera said:

Tony Blair will escape scott free. There will be nothing in the report blaming any individual. Why the hell it's taken 7 years to write is simply pathetic and ridiculous; the war itself only lasted six years for goodness sake!

The Iraq war isn't really over though, is it? Will be going on for a long, long time to come.
    I would have thought that the withdrawal of American and British troops, plus handover to Iraq, was a signal that the war is over? The reason for going into Iraq - WMD - was invalid and it was a huge crime that Bush/Blair etc invaded.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Riviera said:

I would have thought that the withdrawal of American and British troops, plus handover to Iraq, was a signal that the war is over? The reason for going into Iraq - WMD - was invalid and it was a huge crime that Bush/Blair etc invaded.

The war doesnt end just because we pull our troops out, for the poor bastards who live there the sectarian war just rumbles on with no end in sight.

Not sure about the UK but the US and Australia still have thousands of "military advisors" still there working with the Iraqis.
  • Options

Riviera said:

The war doesnt end just because we pull our troops out, for the poor bastards who live there the sectarian war just rumbles on with no end in sight.

Not sure about the UK but the US and Australia still have thousands of "military advisors" still there working with the Iraqis.
    Fair point, but our part in the killing of innocent civilians is over.

• Options
    NO
  • Options
    Thought the Ravens had their wings clipped to prevent them flying away?

I'd be surprised if Blair received any sanctions as a result of his decisions on Iraq. Hindsight is a marvellous thing and Saddam was a tyrant with history of using WMDs.
  • Options
    edited July 2016

Riviera said:

Fair point, but our part in the killing of innocent civilians is over.

Is it? Do we know for a fact that bombs targeting IS in Iraq are not killing civilians?

I'm not saying that targeting is wrong but civilians are almost certainly still being killed by British bombs.
  • Options
    In answer to the OP - no in the sense of going to war - that was the decision of parliament.

If there were deliberate lies by Blair in terms of the intelligence on weapons of mass destruction then possibly - although it would never happen.
  • Options
    Yes - where are the WMD? Blair was bush's bitch and bush did it for oil!
  • Options
    To be fair to Chilcott. All that time, effort and expense to be told basically that "when going to war we should be much more careful..."

Thanks dude.
  • Options
    The reason the chilcott report has taken so long is because so many people will be criticised and they have a right to respond.

If Blair has been believed to have misled or deceived the public then yes, my guess is he'll claim he was duped by bush and the cia and they'll be little evidence to support anything contrary.