Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Johan Berg Gudmundsson - Burnley bid accepted

Comments

• Options

Good luck to him. Will remember the goal he scored against Cardiff a couple of Christmas' ago for a long time.

But Burnley? FFS. Will be a culture shock to him when he moves up there that's for sure.

Perhaps he'll commute from where he lives down here? Or even from Reykjavik? Anything's surely better than living in Burnley.
  • Options
    With the odd exception (Darren Bent comes to mind) there always appears to have been a 'Charlton discount' attached to any of our sales relative to other clubs even pre Meire.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

With the odd exception (Darren Bent comes to mind) there always appears to have been a 'Charlton discount' attached to any of our sales relative to other clubs even pre Meire.

£1m for Jenkinson and McGinty werent bad business as Jenkinson had barely played for our First-Team whilst McGinty never did
  • Options

Aren't Gills demanding something like £4m for Dack? And Oxford £3-4m for Roofe? Seems pretty poor to me.

No chance Oxford will get that for Roofe, who's had 1 good season in league two.

Dack could go for that after add ons though. Has had 2 good seasons, is young, english, league one player of the year. I'd guess a fee of 2-2.5m with more added on would be enough to get him.

Look at Dele Alli, exactly the same as Dack. 2 good seasons in league one, won player of the year, he then went for 5m last summer and now look at him.
  • Options

So WBA agree a deal with QPR for Matty Philips worth £5.5M and we flog of JBG for £2.5M+.
    In a season when the PL is awash with money, we manage to flog off our most saleable asset for peanuts to the first bidder.

Phillips has premier league experience and is a home grown player so that's likely why he costs more than a player at a struggling league one club.
    I get what people say about the fee for a league one player, and that label is applied to our footballers now. However recently we were a Championship team with Championship players.
    When we played Ipswich towards the end of the season, Mick McCarthy asked how come we were struggling because he saw a really good team who dominated Ipswich to an extent.
    The point I am trying to make is it was a totally deserved relegation, but an unnecessary one because of the overall quality of player we had. Which brings me on to the notion that, yes factually we have League One players, but in reality a lot of them such as Cousins, Tex, JBG, Henderson and others are evidently much better than League One.
    I think we ought to hold out for fees that reflect the new football financial reality. If Cousins leaves for any Prem club I would try to open negotiations at 7 to 8 million, and not settle for less than 6 plus add ons. Either way 2 million would be absolutely pathetic, as the fee for Gomez was.
  • Options
    We got JBG on a free, got a decent fee for him, think it was good business to be fair. Was never gonna get over 3mill. We are L1 let's not forget. To get 2.5mill upfront is decent. Whether or not that goes to RD is another argument altogether. I sometimes have rose tinted specs on, but need to be realistic.
  • Options
    I'm with the glass half empty brigade. Joining a Premier club, and after the summer he has had in France (and not bench warming either, but playing against the top teams, as well as England). Yes, we have undersold our players since before the Night-Meire arrived, but what was a poor transfer reputation is turning into a life style at the Valley. 3.5 millions would or should have been a basic starting point to get this one going. But no, decent player, better off load him quick before he goes past his sell by date. I'd be more angry if I didn't see this money going directly into the back pocket of our charitable owner.
  • Options

LenGlover said:

£1m for Jenkinson and McGinty werent bad business as Jenkinson had barely played for our First-Team whilst McGinty never did
    £40,000 for Mike Bailey, £30,000 for Marvin Hinton, £50,000 for Billy Bonds. Where those good fees at the time? Considering they were all to top flight clubs they seem pretty low, even though they were all before the first £100,000 player moving between British clubs.
  • Options

LenGlover said:

£40,000 for Mike Bailey, £30,000 for Marvin Hinton, £50,000 for Billy Bonds. Where those good fees at the time? Considering they were all to top flight clubs they seem pretty low, even though they were all before the first £100,000 player moving between British clubs.
    Difficult to say as all those fees were well before my time... Same with Rob Lee to Newcastle for £700k?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think £2.5m plus £1m isn't bad, I believe the extra is for appearances and staying up.

So it's more likely to be £2.5m and a bit... not the full £1m. I wonder if we added a sell on clause?
  • Options
    seth plum said:

So WBA agree a deal with QPR for Matty Philips worth £5.5M and we flog of JBG for £2.5M+.
    In a season when the PL is awash with money, we manage to flog off our most saleable asset for peanuts to the first bidder.

Phillips has premier league experience and is a home grown player so that's likely why he costs more than a player at a struggling league one club.
    I get what people say about the fee for a league one player, and that label is applied to our footballers now. However recently we were a Championship team with Championship players.
    When we played Ipswich towards the end of the season, Mick McCarthy asked how come we were struggling because he saw a really good team who dominated Ipswich to an extent.
    The point I am trying to make is it was a totally deserved relegation, but an unnecessary one because of the overall quality of player we had. Which brings me on to the notion that, yes factually we have League One players, but in reality a lot of them such as Cousins, Tex, JBG, Henderson and others are evidently much better than League One.
    I think we ought to hold out for fees that reflect the new football financial reality. If Cousins leaves for any Prem club I would try to open negotiations at 7 to 8 million, and not settle for less than 6 plus add ons. Either way 2 million would be absolutely pathetic, as the fee for Gomez was.

But you have to take into consideration that the players in question (JBG and Cousins) likely want to leave. If a club knows a player wants out, they're not going to steam in offering 5-6m for him, they'll bid low knowing that if it gets rejected, the player and his agent will put pressure on the club to sell.

You're living in dream land if you think we'll get 7-8m for Cousins. As i said above, Dele Alli only went for 5m last year.
  • Options
    Seems fair to me 2.5m + add ons, not sure what some people expect on here. Dont think he would be amazing in league one so better gone then staying, people on here need to be realistic even if we were a championship side we wouldnt get that much more. The biggest problem is i dont see any of that money going towards the team, so pointless whether its £1 million or 5 in this ownership :(
  • Options
    I possibly see him playing second fiddle to George Boyd as they both play out on the right dont they?

On the other hand, look at Sam Vokes' goal against Belgium the other night, he'll love the potential crosses that Gudmundsson can provide so in a sense I dont think its a bad move for him at all...

Successful there next season and regardless what happens to Burnley and their League position and he could find himself at a mid-table Premier League team
  • Options
    I said 7-8 million as a starting point for negotiations over players, specifically Cousins. A starting point, but we have such terrible negotiators they probably do whatever gives agents the best return, not Charlton.
    Yes players want to leave now, but if contracted then we still have leverage which we don't seem to exploit. Also the silly money sloshing around the Prem is also a factor.
    Sorry but I can't think of a good fee this useless regime has got for any departing player.ol
  • Options
    I think we're fortunate that Iceland did so well at the Euros. Otherwise the price would have more closely reflected our status as a 3rd division club in a desperate shambles losing money hand over fist.

Anyway, good luck JBG
  • Options
    I cannot see 2.5m being a good deal in this day and age for a player that's got goals and assists in his locker at 2nd tier English level and a semi finalist of the euros. AND he's got years on a deal to run.
  • Options

Aren't Gills demanding something like £4m for Dack? And Oxford £3-4m for Roofe? Seems pretty poor to me.

What they are demanding and what they actually get are quite often two different things!
  • Options

No chance Oxford will get that for Roofe, who's had 1 good season in league two.

Dack could go for that after add ons though. Has had 2 good seasons, is young, english, league one player of the year. I'd guess a fee of 2-2.5m with more added on would be enough to get him.

Look at Dele Alli, exactly the same as Dack. 2 good seasons in league one, won player of the year, he then went for 5m last summer and now look at him.
    After his performances in the euros, he looks more like a £5 player. Still am sure he will be back on form for Tottenham in a few weeks.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

I cannot see 2.5m being a good deal in this day and age for a player that's got goals and assists in his locker at 2nd tier English level and a semi finalist of the euros. AND he's got years on a deal to run.

semi finalist..... right :/

Price doesnt matter this argument is flawed, whether the owners use any of the money should be the question
  • Options
    Let's hope there is at least a 20% sell on, because if he does well at burnley he will only be there a year.
  • Options
    Seems a reasonable fee to me.

Lets face it he's not that good is he!

Ok, he may have been one of our better players when he put his mind to it, but I have been watching him closely in the Euros and I don't think he has made a tackle yet! He has hardly had a shot in any of the games and when he got a chance in the last game, he hit row Z.

Yes, you can argue he puts a decent cross in now and then and will score the occasional cracker, but that's not enough in my book. Was never up for the fight last season.

Take the money and spend part of it re-building, thanks Burnley!
  • Options

semi finalist..... right :/

Price doesnt matter this argument is flawed, whether the owners use any of the money should be the question
    Got mixed up between them and the other little punching team Wales, well I see your point but surely the better off the owners are the better off we are, least you'd think.
  • Options

£2.5m + 1m potential add ons.

See that as a fair deal?

If he was going to a championship club that would be fair....as it's a prem club then another million would be about right.
  • Options
    Not gone yet.

Wonder if the leak to the SLP about Norwich and now Burnley was to attract other bids but if so why say fee agreed?

On his day a very good player and a shrewd bit if business by Burnley if they get him. Cheap and if they go down they know he can do it in the championship.

• Options
    edited July 2016
    wmcf123 said:

Should fund our spending so far plus losses of relegation

Hardly. The club is immediately down about £4m in central payments alone, never mind the 15/16 operating loss and all those to come as a consequence of relegation.

One effect of the timing of the sale(s) is that we can expect to see a thumping overall loss for the financial year to June 30th, but the even larger operating loss in 16/17 will now be mitigated in the bottom line by the departure of 15/16 players.

• Options
    To be fair, breaking even in the top leagues in 2016 is more or less completely impossible, no?
  • Options
    I'm genuinely shocked that people thought we'd get £5m for JBG. If he'd gone for £1m I would have grumbled but wouldn't have been surprised. As for £6m+ for Cousins, really?