Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Laptop help.

2»

Comments

• Oggy Red said:

..I've got the older 4gb version that seems okay...

Just buy some new RAM and make it 8GB.
    Seriously, if you basically want it for general office stuff and it's not failing - just upgrade it a little and keep your old one going by adding/replacing RAM, which you can do yourself easily.

If you want to buy new, the one you're looking at is fine for office work and usual internet use. But I'd read some in depth reviews first.

A quick look at the specs:

It's got a decent recent i5 processor.
    Hard drive has plenty of storage, but it's of the old conventional type so a bit slow today compared with Solid State Drives (SSD).
    8GB RAM is fine for what you say you need.

The screen resolution 1366 x 768 pixels is fine for general office work - but is rapidly being superceded by 1920 x 1080 pixels, much better definition and you'll certainly appreciate how much sharper is the image when you're watching any dodgy films that Dave Mehmet's lent you.

The shared graphics card will be fine for general viewing - but will struggle if you want to play games.
    If you want to play games or do any serious photo work, you'll need a dedicated graphics card but otherwise no need.

As always, best to do your research, read reviews and not buy anything in a hurry.
    They'll be plenty of good prices to be had this time of year if you know what you're buying.

Our problem is that one of the hinges snapped a while back. I managed to re-bolt it and it was good as long as we didn't open and close it, but the screen has now damaged in the same area, so we have lost about 30mm of the screen down the left hand side. I've been on the Dell website, so may pay the extra £100 and get one of theirs.

Cheers for the advice though Ogg
  • You're welcome, i_b_b_o_r_g

Dell sell a lot of laptops for office use ....... first, check out their Dell Outlet sites (France and UK)
    http://www.dell.com/uk/dfh/p/

Could save yourself a decent wedge if you're buying Dell.

Don't forget to read reviews first, so you know what you're buying.

• Chizz said:

Did @iamdan and @Oggy Red manage to get their passwords/pins working again?

Yep, was putting wrong password in.....