Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

My England protest - cancel Sky

In a reaction to Englands totally disgraceful/abysmal/abject/clueless performance last night, I have decided that I need to protest !

So, I figured that most of my Sky subscription goes straight to the Prem League tossas we witnessed last night- therefore, a la Charlton fans v RD, I have decided to cancel my subscription once the cricket season ends - at least that way, I can feel safe in the knowledge that none of my money goes to those wasters and cheats.
With The Ashes now moving to BT Sports from next year, I am going to give BT a go with BT Broadband (its free innit ?)- I'm sure I wont miss Sky.

I figured that if there are enough people with the same action that Sky maybe might think twice about their next contract - you never know. I doubt it.

Comments

• Wont most of your BT subscription go to the Premier League as well though?

Not if its free.
  • Paying any money is pointless, if you really want to protest just stream sport
  • shine166 said:

Paying any money is pointless, if you really want to protest just stream sport

This, I cancelled Sky years ago but watch everything they have to offer. In fact I am just downloading Monday night's episode of Game of Thrones
  • when did BT get the ashes?
  • BT will, no doubt, introduce a new channel called BT Ashes that you have to pay for. They have BT Sport 1, BT Sport 2 and BT Sport Europe. Only the BT Sport 1 comes free with broadband and then not the HD version, that is extra also.
  • I am seriously thinking of doing the same, the thought of someone like Rooney or Joe fecking Hart buying a new house with even just a fraction of my money is appalling ..
    I'll miss the one day cricket, the rugby and all the other good stuff on sky .. but think of the advantages I'll get from not spending hours sitting on my ever broadening chuff watching over paid foreigners and incompetent englishmen pushing a fucking ball around on an over sized snooker table .. rant over ((:>)
  • edited June 2016

shine166 said:

This, I cancelled Sky years ago but watch everything they have to offer.
    same here.
  • There's always this hoo-ha even England perform dismally in an international tournament, as soon as the dragon starts it'll be back to club over country.
  • BT will, no doubt, introduce a new channel called BT Ashes that you have to pay for. They have BT Sport 1, BT Sport 2 and BT Sport Europe. Only the BT Sport 1 comes free with broadband and then not the HD version, that is extra also.

didnt have to pay for BT europe when that was introduced, so doubt they'll charge extra for the ashes

• Sponsored links:

• plenty of free apps that stream games, I use universal tv hd, it shows all sports including the ppv fights, ufc, IPl etc.

No need to beholden to Sky or BT nowadays
  • Tbh, doing it because England are crap is a bit strange... My moral compass is more bovered by the tripe and hate that the Murdoch empire spreads
  • shine166 said:

This, I cancelled Sky years ago but watch everything they have to offer.
    same here.
    Shocking. ;)
  • Never had any of them.
  • Really didn't realise the Ashes was changing to BT. Am just about to threaten Sky with cancelling as they keep putting the cost up. A bit more ammunition. Any one else tried this and got a reduced fee?

Not if its free.
    You pay BT money and they've convinced you you're getting their stuff for free. That's quite a trick.
  • redman said:

Really didn't realise the Ashes was changing to BT. Am just about to threaten Sky with cancelling as they keep putting the cost up. A bit more ammunition. Any one else tried this and got a reduced fee?

All the time brother

Even if they call your bluff and let you cancel they will call you a couple of days later and offer you a sensible deal. The trump card sky have is their on demand platform and their box. It's streets ahead of the competition. But BT are bringing in a UHD channel which sky haven't managed yet.

Sky really don't want to lose customers to BT so they will offer you a sensible package trust this man
  • Carter said:

redman said:

Really didn't realise the Ashes was changing to BT. Am just about to threaten Sky with cancelling as they keep putting the cost up. A bit more ammunition. Any one else tried this and got a reduced fee?

All the time brother

Even if they call your bluff and let you cancel they will call you a couple of days later and offer you a sensible deal. The trump card sky have is their on demand platform and their box. It's streets ahead of the competition. But BT are bringing in a UHD channel which sky haven't managed yet.

Sky really don't want to lose customers to BT so they will offer you a sensible package trust this man
    This has always happened to me but my Dad cancelled three months ago and they haven't come back to him yet.
  • Easy for me to say as i'm an armchair England watcher, (did watch the women win 7-0 at Wycombe against Serbia recently)
    But the next England game at Wembley should be a boycott by the Real fans
    and just leave the Blazers and the Corporates.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2016
  • Use NOW TV and just buy a day's pass when we play.
  • ...(when our match is played live in sky).
  • JiMMy 85 said:

Wont most of your BT subscription go to the Premier League as well though?

Not if its free.
    You pay BT money and they've convinced you you're getting their stuff for free. That's quite a trick.
    Youd have to pay for your Broadband whatever - if BT Broadband throw in BT Sport for free, then its free , last time i looked free meant free.
  • Carter said:

redman said:

All the time brother

This has always happened to me but my Dad cancelled three months ago and they haven't come back to him yet.
    I have noticed this is harder to do with Virgin too than it was.
  • Been thinking about this myself.

I've not much in the Prem these days and only keep Sky Sports for Golf and Tennis.
  • Solidgone said:

Use NOW TV and just buy a day's pass when we play.

Been thinking of doing this especially as people have said bt have the ashes.
    One thing that really bugs me though is when channels buffer.
    Does this happen with these sort of boxes?
    If it does then I think I'd probably stick with sky but still threaten to cancel to try for a reduced bill.
    Also, do these boxes have a record facility, as if I cancel sky, that gets cancelled as well.
  • Got £13 a month rebate from sky yesterday as I moaned that I was paying the same for my sports as last year but wasn't getting champions league. Told them I wasn't planning to leave but was just pissed off. They were very nice.
  • I get free Sky through my brother who works for the company. If I was paying full whack I'd have cancelled a long time ago. You can stream virtually anything for free these days.
  • I'd imagine a lot of people will protest by boycotting the next England game at Wembley. I doubt the players would care but it would serve the FA right, and show them how disgusted we all are, if only around 10-15k show up