Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cameron resigns

Comments

• Options

micks1950 said:

I'll say again that there should be a general election before any negotiation re withdrawal from the EU starts .. 4 out of 5 MPs were/are in favour of remain .. How can we expect this biased self interested lot to play fair and oversee the UK's withdrawal in the correct manner ? .. all candidates should make clear before the election what is their position on Europe and be made to stick to it ..
    also, I have no time whatever for Boris Johnson .. however, given his skillset for negotiation and administration, he's the best of a VERY poor bunch to act as PM after Cameron goes .. he can be replaced later but not, please by Theresa May, the poor man's carbon copy of Thatcher

But the EU are making it pretty clear that they want the process to begin now in order to end the uncertainty as soon as possible - and they have no interest in delaying in order to help out the UK in any way.
    tell Juncker to go fuck himself .. this is our game and we decide the procedure
    Yeah, and they get to decide the deal we get...
  • Options

micks1950 said:

I'll say again that there should be a general election before any negotiation re withdrawal from the EU starts .. 4 out of 5 MPs were/are in favour of remain .. How can we expect this biased self interested lot to play fair and oversee the UK's withdrawal in the correct manner ? .. all candidates should make clear before the election what is their position on Europe and be made to stick to it ..
    also, I have no time whatever for Boris Johnson .. however, given his skillset for negotiation and administration, he's the best of a VERY poor bunch to act as PM after Cameron goes .. he can be replaced later but not, please by Theresa May, the poor man's carbon copy of Thatcher

But the EU are making it pretty clear that they want the process to begin now in order to end the uncertainty as soon as possible - and they have no interest in delaying in order to help out the UK in any way.
    But it's not just Juncker - a meeting of representatives of the founder member states of the EU meeting today has effectively said the same thing.

And it's worth looking at the EU Article 50 provision that covers states leaving - in particular:

"The form of any withdrawal agreement would depend on the negotiations and there is therefore no guarantee the UK would find the terms acceptable. The EU Treaties would cease to apply to the UK on the entry into force of a withdrawal agreement or, if no new agreement is concluded, after two years, unless there is unanimous agreement to extend the negotiating period.

During the two-year negotiation period, EU laws would still apply to the UK. The UK would continue to participate in other EU business as normal, but it would not participate in internal EU discussions or decisions on its own withdrawal. On the EU side, the agreement would be negotiated by the European Commission following a mandate from EU ministers and concluded by EU governments “acting by a qualified majority, after obtaining the consent of the European Parliament.” This means that the European Parliament would be an additional unpredictable factor in striking a deal".

http://openeurope.org.uk/today/blog/the-mechanics-of-leaving-the-eu-explaining-article-50/
  • Options

micks1950 said:

excuse the repetition but .. FUCK EM .. they sell us more than we sell them .. there's nothing we get from Europe that we can't get elsewhere .. UK was a member of this 'project' for just over 40 years, the way some discuss the issue it's as if the UK has been dependant on this bunch of foreigners since 1066 .. we thrived without them before and we'll do so again .. the only friends we have in Europe are the Poles .. read your history ..
  • Options

micks1950 said:

I think this attitude is what got us into the mess in the first place.

what mess ? .. the EU ? .. has been a mess for years .. we wanna get out of the mess a s a p .. I just do not understand so much adoration for the EU, a German/French stitch up administered by Qusling Luxembourgians and Belgians ..
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    David Cameron is and was a PR man who's memory isn't good enough.
    (Not just about leaving his daughter in the pub)
    Can you spend so much time being critical of the EU and then when he failed to get little of what he wanted, present it as a victory and join the Remain side.

The history of British life in battles is to pick the winning side,
    The kingmaker Richard Neville , 16th Earl of Warwick left the winning side of Edward 4th to join the soon to be defeated Henry 6th and paid with his life.

David Cameron change sides but with the advice of Tony Blair will still make a buckle load of Money on the America talk circuit.
  • Options

micks1950 said:

what mess ? .. the EU ? .. has been a mess for years .. we wanna get out of the mess a s a p .. I just do not understand so much adoration for the EU, a German/French stitch up administered by Qusling Luxembourgians and Belgians ..
    Well if you mean asap then why not begin the Article 50 process now?

Any Tory leadership election (or subsequent General Election) could then be fought on the basis of what sort of conclusions to the 2 year negotiations different candidates/parties would try to obtain.....?
  • Options

micks1950 said:

yeah ok.

• Options

micks1950 said:

excuse the repetition but .. FUCK EM .. they sell us more than we sell them .. there's nothing we get from Europe that we can't get elsewhere .. UK was a member of this 'project' for just over 40 years, the way some discuss the issue it's as if the UK has been dependant on this bunch of foreigners since 1066 .. we thrived without them before and we'll do so again .. the only friends we have in Europe are the Poles .. read your history ..
    You read your history and when you have come back and tell me the correct answer.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    micks1950 said:

micks1950 said:

Any Tory leadership election (or subsequent General Election) could then be fought on the basis of what sort of conclusions to the 2 year negotiations different candidates/parties would try to obtain.....?
    give me strength .. so who is going to be the chief UK negotiator for your sacred Article 50 chit chats .. for my part, we are out of the EU, article 50 along with articles 1 to 1,000,000 is null and void .. and you'll say (I am sure) .. 'but the UK agreed to Article 50' .. just like we agreed to a trade treaty and NOT a political treaty with Germany calling the shots .. we are OUT and we should be calling the shots on our own decision and future
  • Options

micks1950 said:

You read your history and when you have come back and tell me the correct answer.

as quite often you are burbling and I have totally lost track of what you're on about ..I know what I am writing about, you are obviously arguing for the sake of it .. enough already .. go and bore somebody else
  • Options

micks1950 said:

No, they don't, they get to negotiate a deal, with us.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

micks1950 said:

I'm fairly sure that the EU will say that the Treaty of the European Union is "their" game at least as much as the UK's. The rules, as laid out in Article 50, are sufficiently vague, IMHO, that they may be able to start the two year clock sooner than the Government wish.

If we accept the will of the people being expressed in the referendum, did the UK not notify the EU at c 7am yesterday?
  • Options
    edited June 2016

micks1950 said:

micks1950 said:

give me strength .. so who is going to be the chief UK negotiator for your sacred Article 50 chit chats .. for my part, we are out of the EU, article 50 along with articles 1 to 1,000,000 is null and void .. and you'll say (I am sure) .. 'but the UK agreed to Article 50' .. just like we agreed to a trade treaty and NOT a political treaty with Germany calling the shots .. we are OUT and we should be calling the shots on our own decision and future
    It would be perfectly possible to appoint a chief negotiator acceptable to Tory Brexiters now - particularly to begin the process.

As for your comment "for my part, we are out of the EU, article 50 along with articles 1 to 1,000,000 is null and void" - that's also possible as the link I posted before pointed out:

"Are there withdrawal options other than Article 50?

Theoretically, there is nothing to stop a British Government unilaterally withdrawing from the EU by simply repealing the 1972 European Communities Act. Article 50 compels only the EU to seek a negotiation, not the withdrawing member state. However, while this may be the case in principle, such an approach would likely damage the UK’s chances of striking a preferential trade agreement with the EU after exit – since its first act as an ‘independent’ nation would have been to have reneged on its EU treaty commitments. It would also mean there is no transition period, so EU legislation along with the UK’s free trade agreements via the EU lapse immediately. Since some EU law applies in the UK directly, the UK would need to legislate to replace it".

And by the sound of it you'd be prepared to accept those consequences....?

http://openeurope.org.uk/today/blog/the-mechanics-of-leaving-the-eu-explaining-article-50/
  • Options

micks1950 said:

I'm fairly sure that the EU will say that the Treaty of the European Union is "their" game at least as much as the UK's. The rules, as laid out in Article 50, are sufficiently vague, IMHO, that they may be able to start the two year clock sooner than the Government wish.

If we accept the will of the people being expressed in the referendum, did the UK not notify the EU at c 7am yesterday?
    No we didn't, does article 50 allow the EU to kick member states out? Unless it does, it is entirely our game, in our hands.

Prolonging things will clearly do us no good but there's no way the EU are starting this ball rolling.
  • Options

micks1950 said:

as quite often you are burbling and I have totally lost track of what you're on about ..I know what I am writing about, you are obviously arguing for the sake of it .. enough already .. go and bore somebody else
    Portugal is the oldest alliance this country has. 1386 ? That you will find in the history books. If you can find me something that informs me that the only friends we have in Europe are the Poles then you might be googling for a long time.

Think before you snap off a post. It will stop you looking foolish.

Edit : actually it won't.

EDIT away you stupid knownothing but get your head out your arse first ..
    in the two world wars since we rescued Portugal from Napoleon, the Portugese have been 'neutral', have you heard of Salazar ? yes/no ? .. so with 'allies' like these, who needs enemies ? ..
    check out the list of EU member states which were allies of nazi Germany and the countries who laid down for the nazis and awaited rescue by Britain and the US.. 'neutral' Sweden selling iron ore to make Nazi guns and tanks, Switzerland making flat pack cabins to be used as concentration camps, France deporting Jews to concentration camps to save Frenchmen being conscripted as slave labour, fascist Franco in Spain ..get the picture ?. .. I think your feeble brain has been even more enfeebled, perhaps by exposure to dangerous XRays .. @ShootersHillGuru ... Guru hahahahahahah, Gaga more like ..
  • Options
    edited June 2016

micks1950 said:

Portugal is the oldest alliance this country has. 1386 ? That you will find in the history books. If you can find me something that informs me that the only friends we have in Europe are the Poles then you might be googling for a long time.

in the two world wars since we rescued Portugal from Napoleon, the Portugese have been 'neutral', have you heard of Salazar ? yes/no ? .. so with 'allies' like these, who needs enemies ? ..
    check out the list of EU member states which were allies of nazi Germany and the countries who laid down for the nazis and awaited rescue by Britain and the US.. 'neutral' Sweden selling iron ore to make Nazi guns and tanks, Switzerland making flat pack cabins to be used as concentration camps, France deporting Jews to concentration camps to save Frenchmen being conscripted as slave labour, fascist Franco in Spain ..get the picture ?. .. I think your feeble brain has been even more enfeebled, perhaps by exposure to dangerous XRays .. @ShootersHillGuru ... Guru hahahahahahah, Gaga more like ..
    Bloody hell. Do yourself a favour and go and sit quietly somewhere for a bit.

The Anglo-Portuguese Alliance (or Aliança Luso-Britânica), ratified at the Treaty of Windsor in 1386, between England (succeeded by the United Kingdom) and Portugal is the oldest alliance in the world that is still in force – with the earliest treaty dating back to the Anglo-Portuguese Treaty of 1373.

Edit : you didn't mention the Danish or Dutch. I've purposely left out Belgium ;0)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The other EU members have got just as much to lose as the UK if the exit talks are rushed and bodged, despite the bluster of certain EU officials.
  • Options

micks1950 said:

The Anglo-Portuguese Alliance (or Aliança Luso-Britânica), ratified at the Treaty of Windsor in 1386, between England (succeeded by the United Kingdom) and Portugal is the oldest alliance in the world that is still in force – with the earliest treaty dating back to the Anglo-Portuguese Treaty of 1373.

Edit : you didn't mention the Danish or Dutch. I've purposely left out Belgium ;0)
    yawwwwwwwnnnn .. bore off SH Gaga
  • Options

The other EU members have got just as much to lose as the UK if the exit talks are rushed and bodged, despite the bluster of certain EU officials.

Perhaps but the longer this drags on the longer the uncertainty hanging over the remaining member states. I can fully understand why they want this put to bed.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

But they've also got a lot to lose - collectively and individually - in terms of uncertainty and instability if the Article 50 negotiations are delayed and/or are allowed to drag on......
  • Options
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-36630326

Angela Merkel has sounded much more conciliatory
    German Chancellor Angela Merkel has said the European Union has "no need to be particularly nasty in any way" in the negotiations with Britain about its exit from the bloc.
    She insisted that deterring other countries from leaving the EU should not be a priority in the talks.
    And she added she was not in favour of pushing for a speedy withdrawal.
    Britain narrowly voted to end its membership in a historic referendum last Thursday.
    Mrs Merkel was speaking after several EU foreign ministers - including Germany's - had urged Britain to quickly implement its exit.
    "It shouldn't take forever, that's right, but I would not fight for a short timeframe," she said.
  • Options

So you agree that Callum and Jack actually had no point at all, right?

Probably, however that didn't stop an awful lot of Tories and their supporters bleating on about the same thing when Brown was parachuted in as PM did it. Right?
    So two wrongs make a right these days?
    Macmillan replaced Eden in office in 1957 - midway between the 1955 and 1959 elections; Douglas-Home then took over from Macmillan a year before the 1964 election; Callaghan succeeded Wilson in 1976 and served three years before losing in 1979; Major replaced Thatcher in late 1990 and delayed the subsequent until May 1992; Brown replaced Blair as above.

Churchill and Lloyd George replaced Chamberlain and Asquith in wartime without an election; Chamberlain had himself replaced Baldwin in 1937 without an election. Asquith had replaced Henry Campbell-Bannerman in 1908, the latter having died - he'd replaced Arthur Balfour in 1905 without an election (one was held in 1906).

It's custom and practice in the British system and has been for centuries. If it's "wrong" it's not even arguably a question of "two" wrongs making anything!
    What's unusual is that the sitting PM isn't standing down/kicked out several years into as term, but only a year after being elected. It's extraordinary for someone to lead their party to victory and cock it up so quickly afterwards.
    I suppose the closest parallel is Wilson standing down in March 1976, having been re-elected in October 1974. I remember the shock that caused but not anyone calling for a general election (although at 13 I may have missed it!).
    Harold Wilson was becoming progressively unwell, though.

But it appears to have been a close kept secret, because even the press seemed to be taken by surprise.

• Options

micks1950 said:

yawwwwwwwnnnn .. bore off SH Gaga
    I'm sure you do find history boring. It certainly isn't your strongpoint is it. Actually what is your strongpoint ?
  • Options

Oggy and Gaga apt names for a couple of gnat brains .. ((:>)
  • Options

Oggy and Gaga apt names for a couple of gnat brains .. ((:>)

You're off your trolley today, Lincs.