Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cameron resigns

Comments

• Options
    Think Johnston had a bit of personal life history and felt unable to stand
    Andy Burnham has done well and I think will appeal to the general public
    Do not think JC has any real chance as a future PM may be loved by young Labour Party members but labour have to have mass appeal not just causes
  • Options

...... but the vacuum leaves the Tories free reign to do what they like and in-fight why Rome burns.

Effective democracy needs effective opposition.

Exactly.

It doesn't have to be the Labour Party.
    But this country very much needs an Opposition capable of viable and effective government.

• Options

I'm no labour supporter but they are becoming more and more irrelevant both as an opposition and as a potential party of power.

Good thing some of you may say but the vacuum leaves the Tories free reign to do what they like and in-fight why Rome burns.

Effective democracy needs effective opposition.

Alan Johnston or Dan Javis could attract popular support in the country (from traditional labour and non-traditional labour supporters) and maybe from MPs but not from the party membership hence why they have Corbyn instead.

Yes, Labour was an irrelevance in the campaign, and having lost Scotland to the SNP, and the Blair era Middle England votes back to the Tories, now clearly are facing a strong threat from UKIP in the rest of England...

I agree that it's not healthy for the main opposition party to be in such a bad state
  • Options
    So basically he's saying, "I'm happy to be the elected representative of the people and accept all the perks and financial benefits that come with it......unless I have to actually represent the electorate and do what they voted for.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    It feels to me Labour is on it's last legs. Corbyn will not resign, which is probably good, as we need a new party. And we need the best

I wouldn't be surprised to see Farage defect to conservatives and him make a bid for prime minister. This is his vision remember and conservative are just about right wing enough to be able to handle him

You are joking - aren't you? Even the only UKIP member of parliament is trying to distance himself from him! All those who shared his vision and voted out are going to be gutted when they realise the truth! He was marginalised by leave. Not that I am too bothered about them!
  • Options

It feels to me Labour is on it's last legs. Corbyn will not resign, which is probably good, as we need a new party. And we need the best

I wouldn't be surprised to see Farage defect to conservatives and him make a bid for prime minister. This is his vision remember and conservative are just about right wing enough to be able to handle him

You are joking - aren't you? Even the only UKIP member of parliament is trying to distance himself from him! All those who shared his vision and voted out are going to be gutted when they realise the truth! He was marginalised by leave. Not that I am too bothered about them!
    I agree. We need a strong opposition party to the Tories and the faux labour politicians we have now are never going to be it. I don't have the confidence that it will happen under Corbyn though as the Right wing labour politicians will be powerful and looking out for themselves. Here's hoping though.
  • Options
    I think the pro European Conservatives and the Labour right have far more in common - they will have worked together as part of Remain and the time is right for something new. It will be easier to mobilise the 48% Remainers (of the 72% who voted) than the 53% Brexiters - who have so many different reasons for their vote, which will be spread over three parties. The opportunity has presented itself, and politicians rarely pass up such opportunities - only loyalty to their parties will be stopping them, but as many said during the referendum, this is more important than general elections.
  • Options
    If the Lib Dems hadn't tarnished their name, with the Clegg/Cameron years, they'd be in prime position to move towards the centre as the alternative party for disaffected voters.
  • Options
    Their party was destroyed by Clegg - there would be a place for Farron and Cable in the new party which i think is inevitable if Labour and the Conservatives can't quickly heal their gaping open wounds. .
  • Options
    Loads of (former)Labour supporters voted to leave. Corbyn was the first eurosceptic leader of the labour party for years...and they put forward a vote of no confidence.

I mean how out of touch must the rest of the labour party be?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dave had to resign - he'd agreed to the referendum as a means of getting potential UKIP voters back under the Conservative umbrella at the last election, and now it's backfired on him.

Boris, on the other hand, spent a bit of time pondering what stance would benefit himself the most, and spotted that if he opposed Dave, irrespective of what Dave said, then, if Dave lost, he could sidle in to #10 - his actual objective.
  • Options
    TeslaGirl said:

Dave had to resign - he'd agreed to the referendum as a means of getting potential UKIP voters back under the Conservative umbrella at the last election, and now it's backfired on him.

Boris, on the other hand, spent a bit of time pondering what stance would benefit himself the most, and spotted that if he opposed Dave, irrespective of what Dave said, then, if Dave lost, he could sidle in to #10 - his actual objective.

That's exactly what he did. He has made a career from being pro-Europe and upon seeing an opening switched. He has built a lot of his popularity on his perceived buffonery and time leading London one of the most forward thinking and multicultural cities on earth. I personally think he has killed his career over this. He is now way too devisive to lead and as much as the tories are a nasty bunch of bastards they know he would collapse them
  • Options

I think the pro European Conservatives and the Labour right have far more in common - they will have worked together as part of Remain and the time is right for something new. It will be easier to mobilise the 48% Remainers (of the 72% who voted) than the 53% Brexiters - who have so many different reasons for their vote, which will be spread over three parties. The opportunity has presented itself, and politicians rarely pass up such opportunities - only loyalty to their parties will be stopping them, but as many said during the referendum, this is more important than general elections.

Interesting point, Muttley.

• Options
    Salad said:

Corbyn has been in favour of leaving the EU much of his life, I think he believes that workers' rights will be best protected by staying in the EU but probably isn't keen on much else it offers.

As for Cameron, he had no choice but to resign really, this way he goes with dignity, otherwise he would get told what to do by the neo-liberal wing of the party using him as a front and be hounded out soon enough anyway.

Although remember that Thatcher resigned but then stood for re-election (and lost). And of course lovely Mr Farage promised to resign, but didn't really, standing unopposed for relection.

So Corbyn had noble reasons for betraying his lifelong cause? Interesting. Cameron has never done anything with dignity. They are both two faced toady, lying self-serving slimeballs.
  • Options
    it wasn't his cause
    it is a mixed bag - plusses and minusses
  • Options
    What a shower of shyte lining up as Cameron;'s replacement.
    Dear god.
  • Options
    Thought David Davis might be good. But he likes to steer from the back benches..... You know.. where all the real Tories are that make all the Tory decisions.
  • Options

The Tories will call a general election in the autumn, in my opinion, reversing their own 2010 legislation to do it, and especially if Jeremy Corbyn is still Labour leader. Corbyn is not a leader and the party would get hammered, so whether or not the membership like it the parliamentary party have a duty to challenge him now. Labour needs to give the Tories pause for thought over calling an election by electing a different leader who can credibly say that he would take forward Brexit negotiations. It's a tall order, but not impossible. The country doesn't need or want a general election but the Tories will have one for party advantage if they can.

I'be been impressed by Chukka Ummunna. When he briefly ran in the labour leadership the press reaction was overwhelmingly negative. He withdrew within a few days.

I have recently read that he was just courting at the time and happily now is engaged to be married. At the time, he had just started dating his now fiancée and the press were doorstepping her parents before he had even met them.

I'd have him as the leader of the Labour Party tomorrow if I had any say in it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oh and I hope he would then have David Laws as chancellor.

The idea of having Theresa May as the leader of anything, never mind about what country we have left, fills me with Dread.

Eh! Children get your culture, and don't stay there and gesture, or the battle be hotter, and you won't get no supper. Natty dread, natty dread now.

(1974 year of my birth)
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    The Tories are often accused of being out of touch with the core of British society.
    And so it proves.
    There was no real need to call this referendum, but they obviously thought they could win or they never would have called for it.

The real pure tories know that they are all for the Knightsbridges, oxfordshires and Banburys and every four years a general election means they have to keep the Basildons and the Basingstokes happy .

This is where they F**** up.

These constituencys might vote Tory to keep labour out. But this referendum was a whole different ball game.
    The threat of a Labour government is nothing compared to the feeling of having their communities and sovereignties taken from them.

Dave and his mates were using the wrong model when they safely thought they could bat this. And more fool them.

From out of touch to out of office!
  • Options

The Tories will call a general election in the autumn, in my opinion, reversing their own 2010 legislation to do it, and especially if Jeremy Corbyn is still Labour leader. Corbyn is not a leader and the party would get hammered, so whether or not the membership like it the parliamentary party have a duty to challenge him now. Labour needs to give the Tories pause for thought over calling an election by electing a different leader who can credibly say that he would take forward Brexit negotiations. It's a tall order, but not impossible. The country doesn't need or want a general election but the Tories will have one for party advantage if they can.

I'be been impressed by Chukka Ummunna. When he briefly ran in the labour leadership the press reaction was overwhelmingly negative. He withdrew within a few days.

I have recently read that he was just courting at the time and happily now is engaged to be married. At the time, he had just started dating his now fiancée and the press were doorstepping her parents before he had even met them.

I'd have him as the leader of the Labour Party tomorrow if I had any say in it.
    Every time I hear him I am impressed. He has gravitas and has Prime Minister material written all over him.
  • Options

Dear god.

Have you invented time travel Arthur? Silly question I know but by any chance do we beat Millwall next season?
  • Options

Dear god.

Tom Watson is a gentleman, I'd be mega chuffed with him.

Would be a bit awkward when the Ryder Cup comes round, mind.
  • Options

Agree with your comments Rick but not sure if the Tories can find a leader that can unite them and take forward Brexit negotiation as two thirds supported remain.
  • Options
    The country badly needs strong leadership at the moment, to implement the changes that are the results of the referendum, is Boris the right man to do that? I'm not so sure, we need to find our way again as a country and have some clear direction and ideas of where we're going, seems to be a big political vacuum at the moment.
  • Options
    Surely the Tories can only elect an MP as it's leader?

• Options

Surely the Tories can only elect an MP as it's leader?

I think that's his point i.e in October the Tories will put in place a PM none of us voted in.