Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Goodbye Reza. (signs for Heerenveen)

1235»

Comments

• colthe3rd said:

how good is the Dutch league though? Kuyt is 36 but scored a hat trick yesterday to win his side the league

not a great league at all. Many strikers over there have indeed scored goals and struggled when they come here. Ruud and Suarez were the only two top strikers I can remember coming over and doing here or even in any top European league. Kuyt was also a good player, albeit not a prolific goalscorer.
    Bony, Van Hooijdonk, Bergkamp?
    Brazilian Ronaldo and Zlatan were in the dutch league and did ok elsewhere you could say.
    completely forgot about those two. Point still valid that more struggle than do well when they have been banging them in Holland. Fairly obvious thing to say in fairness, it's like comparing players who have come up from the Champ and made the step up.
    Romario, Kluivert, Van Persie, Hasselbaink, Huntelaar.

But yeah what strikers have done well anywhere else?
    That van Nistelrooy was a right cart horse too. Only banged them in at the likes of real Madrid and united after the Dutch league
  • colthe3rd said:

how good is the Dutch league though? Kuyt is 36 but scored a hat trick yesterday to win his side the league

not a great league at all. Many strikers over there have indeed scored goals and struggled when they come here. Ruud and Suarez were the only two top strikers I can remember coming over and doing here or even in any top European league. Kuyt was also a good player, albeit not a prolific goalscorer.
    Brazilian Ronaldo and Zlatan were in the dutch league and did ok elsewhere you could say.
    completely forgot about those two. Point still valid that more struggle than do well when they have been banging them in Holland. Fairly obvious thing to say in fairness, it's like comparing players who have come up from the Champ and made the step up.

That van Nistelrooy was a right cart horse too. Only banged them in at the likes of real Madrid and united after the Dutch league
    A Charlton fan as well.
  • colthe3rd said:

To be fair van Nistelrooy did have the face of a cart horse.

• colthe3rd said:

Hasselbaink, go on then, tell me his great record in the Dutch League ;)

Of course the Dutch have provided some great players, as has the league, but the point is still valid, more strikers or attacking players in general make the dutch league look easy and then struggle in the top European Leagues than do well in them.
  • Dirk Kuyt was quality for Liverpool. Always thought wagstaff was like our version of kuyt, hard working and knew where the goal was.

Even I remember Suarez wasn't incredible in his first full season.
  • edited May 2017
    colthe3rd said:

Just naming top Dutch strikers didn't work as neither RVP or Hasselbaink scored goals in the Dutch League ;)
  • Im not sure what that argument has to do with Reza/Charlton anyway. The Dutch league is much better than anything we've played in, in the last 5 years.
  • Im not sure what that argument has to do with Reza/Charlton anyway. The Dutch league is much better than anything we've played in, in the last 5 years.

3 or so could compete in the prem, but apart from that its pretty much the same as the Championship bar that.
  • reza was absolutely toilet for us and thats what matters to me
  • Couldn't agree more with lolwray apart from the odd cameo I thought he was absolutely shit.
  • Sponsored links:

• colthe3rd said:

Just naming top Dutch strikers didn't work as neither RVP or Hasselbaink scored goals in the Dutch League ;)
    Well they both scored goals in the league just not an outstanding record so works both ways is the point I was getting at. To say that players from that league struggle outside of it is a lazy stereotype, for every Alves or Kezman there's a Ronaldo or Suarez.
  • colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

Well they both scored goals in the league just not an outstanding record so works both ways is the point I was getting at. To say that players from that league struggle outside of it is a lazy stereotype, for every Alves or Kezman there's a Ronaldo or Suarez.
    well not really, Hasselbaink scored 5 goals in 50 games! RVP scored a few, admittedly think he played left wing a bit at the start of his career aswell.

In fairness, I missed a fair few and your point is valid. As is mine, more players who made that league look easy have struggled in a top league than vice versa. As I said though, thats an obvious thing to say as it happens in any league where players step up to a better league.
  • colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

well not really, Hasselbaink scored 5 goals in 50 games! RVP scored a few, admittedly think he played left wing a bit at the start of his career aswell.

In fairness, I missed a fair few and your point is valid. As is mine, more players who made that league look easy have struggled in a top league than vice versa. As I said though, thats an obvious thing to say as it happens in any league where players step up to a better league.
    Still clinging to that despite us naming more strikers who have done better than worse since leaving.
  • I don't get why you @cafcfan1990 are still trying to denounce the Dutch league so much, it's a better standard than what we have played in, in recent seasons, and Reza is thriving in it, so whilst he may have been pants for us, he is showing everyone he is a decent footballer.
  • colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

Still clinging to that despite us naming more strikers who have done better than worse since leaving.
    not at all mate, I completely admit your right, I was stereotyping and I was wrong to do that.

But you cannot tell me more players do well after leaving Holland than flop? It wasn't about people doing "better than worse", it was about people making the Dutch league look easy and then flopping, which the majority do, although there are exceptions.

JFH was an exception, as albeit young, he didn't do anything in the Dutch league and was actually released by AZ, you mistakenly pointed out he did well in Holland, he did not.
  • sam3110 said:

I don't get why you @cafcfan1990 are still trying to denounce the Dutch league so much, it's a better standard than what we have played in, in recent seasons, and Reza is thriving in it, so whilst he may have been pants for us, he is showing everyone he is a decent footballer.

Never thought Reza would do well for us because he wasn't suited to the Championship, not because he was a poor player.

The Dutch league is obviously better than League 1, I don't think its better than the Championship apart from the top few teams. That's my opinion to which I am entitled to. Others can disagree as entitled to theirs too :)
  • Reza might have been ok if he had somebody regularly supplying balls through to him. Most of the time he was with us, we had workmanlike midfielders behind him and in his last season, it was really just JBG who could supply proper service. He might well have flourished under Guy Luzon but we had Igor and Watt at the time and Reza was off in the Middle East.

I'd contest that.

I would say at least 75% of the cloggies top division are no more than Championship standard.
  • Rob62 said:

colthe3rd said:

We can comfortably say its better than the bottom half of the Championship & League One.
    Exactly. some are looking for any way to justify their opinion that Reza is shit. The guy clearly has some ability.
    Ability sure. But like Solly said, Reza didn't give a shit about Charlton.
    RD doesn't understand people's emotions. It doesn't appear to occur to him, that some players will be unhappy at being shunted around and if strongly encouraged to do so, they won't be giving their best.
    Interesting point. Roland is an engineer. I work with engineers every day and most would feature somewhere on the autistic spectrum. Most really struggle with empathy and humanity. Because they are such logical thinkers they sometimes find it really hard to understand human emotions.
  • Sponsored links:

• Swisdom said:

Rob62 said:

colthe3rd said:

We can comfortably say its better than the bottom half of the Championship & League One.
    Exactly. some are looking for any way to justify their opinion that Reza is shit. The guy clearly has some ability.
    Ability sure. But like Solly said, Reza didn't give a shit about Charlton.
    RD doesn't understand people's emotions. It doesn't appear to occur to him, that some players will be unhappy at being shunted around and if strongly encouraged to do so, they won't be giving their best.
    Interesting point. Roland is an engineer. I work with engineers every day and most would feature somewhere on the autistic spectrum. Most really struggle with empathy and humanity. Because they are such logical thinkers they sometimes find it really hard to understand human emotions.
    What a ridiculous thing to say.
  • lolwray said:

reza was absolutely toilet for us and thats what matters to me

This with bells on.

• I don't disagree that he was toilet but do people not question why? It happens far too often with our players. Charltonised should be an official term.

Agreed. In addition to doing well in the Dutch League, he also had a pretty bloody good 2014 World Cup.
  • I don't disagree that he was toilet but do people not question why? It happens far too often with our players. Charltonised should be an official term.

Spent too much time on his backside whilst trying to con referees. Cannot think of a player who I have disliked more whilst playing for Charlton.
  • Do you lot seriously think the Championship is better than the Eredivisie? Tactically and technically far superior.