Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

James Walker

He scored for Bristol Rovers on Saturday, was the Times player of the weekend for League Two, and they want to extend his loan deal already...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/b/bristol_rovers/6033323.stm

Comments

• Options
    good news.

Playing first team in the league 2 for a month will be more worthwhile than a season in the reserev team. He needs to continue to impress there, score goals, then repeat it again at a championship club.

The most important thing regarding strikers is confidence, if they can get used to scoring goals at a lower level, they have a greater chance of making the step up.

I also think its a fantastic ploy to introduce new young strikers into the team in wide areas, like Villa are doing. It introduces young players to first team football without the pressure on being relied on to score goals. The move them up top when they are used to the pace of the league and have confidence.
  • Options
    You mean like we did with Lisbie and Grant : ) It depends on the player but certainly if they can do both jobs then fine. It should help them with their awareness and as you say their confidence.

Les Reed certainly seemed to think that Walker was a prospect and wouldn't have been afraid to put him in the team. At least now he is playing and learning and will come back a better player. I agree that a spell in the Championship would tell you more about his qualities. If he can score then I'm sure someone will want him.
  • Options
    it seems to me it is much harder for a young striker to break through than any other outfield position. Being a striker brings with it more expectation and pressure. Confidence is just so important to a goal scorer. Lisbie had a short spell at Gillingham but it wasn't that early in his career, he may of turned out differently if he was farmed out more to get experience.

If a striker can get used to scoring goals, it frees up so much thought in their mind to concentrate on other aspects of their game. If a striker is moved out wide at the start, they concentrate on their general play without the pressure of scoring goals around their neck, plus it gives them a greater understanding on what service a wide player is likely to provide when they do eventually move up to striker.
  • Options
    I've just watched Football League Review on Sky Sports, and he also had a goal disallowed - a great header. Ref judged that the free kick was taken too quickly.....