Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Yulin dog meat festival

Is under way in southern China.

Whilst I would try almost any food, dog would be a big no go, could anyone here bring themselves to try Dog?

Comments

• Had a few dogs in the past.
  • Stan Collymore?
  • You have probably already eaten dog and are not aware of it. Don't believe everything you read on food labels nowadays, the counterfeiters have infiltrated the food industry as well now
  • You have probably already eaten dog and are not aware of it. Don't believe everything you read on food labels nowadays, the counterfeiters have infiltrated the food industry as well now

What you mean those Cadburys Chocolate Buttons that are given by owners to dogs aren't for the consumption of humans?

I have no doubt that I, amongst the majority of meat eaters, have eaten many things that wasn't what it said it was.

I couldn't knowingly eat dog regardless of how it was killed and cooked but certainly not at something like this.
  • Dazzler21 said:

There's quite a few dog owners on here. A very inflammatory thread to post.

Yulin is an illegal festival and is an outrage. It's a recent thing too, it hasn't been around forever, in fact almost only since the 60's or 70's.

My dog's breed is one of the chief breeds stolen from it's owners and family in order to be cooked alive only to be eaten during this festival.

I won't keep a cool head on this thread so will leave it on the note that it is a disgusting, merciless and barbaric festival which involves the the theft and inhumane cooking alive of actual pets.

This also includes people's stolen cats, rabbits and other animals.

Having owned dogs in the past i can assure you that I have not set out to upset/wind up anyone.

With regards to the rest of the post, I don't believe that the festival is even that old , 6 or 7 years in fact.
  • Sponsored links:

• Yes, at least would try it. You're either a meat eater or not. It's only the culture you're brought up in that defines what type of hypocrite you are.
  • Don't understand those who are against eating dog. If you are a meat eater then as long as it isn't someone's pet or an endangered species then anything should go imo.
  • For me it is purely a sentimental (for want of a better word) thing which is funny as I can't think of anything else I wouldn't at least try.
  • I think we all agree that cooking alive and torture of animals is bang out of order, but no difference between dog meat, horse meat, cow meat in my opinion.

Bit like 'Dolphin friendly' tins of tuna. Dolphins are cute, so bad to kill them. Tuna are ugly, kill kill kill.
  • Had dog in Vietnam, its quite widely available in some of the markets out there. Although i don't agree with the way they kill the things it didn't offend me taste wise. Came out in a clay pot with some sort of garlic chillie broth. They've been eating it for as long as time, so let them get on with it.
  • I deplore this festival and any others that are inhumane to animals of any kind. the chinese do seem inhumane of their treatment of animals and why I won't eat chinese food anymore!

having said that, I'm sure they would point to our dairy industry and accuse us of being equally cruel. they may have a point.

• I'd eat dog if it was kept and killed in a humane way. No different to eating Rabbit/Chicken/Cow.

Very good point Gaz, but in my opinion, the only way to ensure absolutely that the meat we eat has been kept and dispatched in a humane way is to either rear it ourselves, or go and get it from the wild ourselves. I've been shooting for years, and now we have a shed load of chickens etc, with a couple of sheep and/or goats to add soon, I hope to not be buying any meat at all from the supermarket within the next 2-3 years.

As for eating dog; No, dog is probably the only meat I wouldn't go anywhere near, but as Gary said, I wouldn't be offended if others ate it as long as it was kept and dispatched in a humane way.
  • As a vegie I cannot see the difference between any animal bred for food. Although this one of eating dog is particularly sickening for me. We, (Europeans), in the west eat quite selectively and most of us would never ill treat a dog.
    I'm not even remotely an animal lover, just cant stand the thought or taste of meat.
  • MrOneLung said:

........ but no difference between dog meat, horse meat, cow meat in my opinion.

Or human meat. Meat is biologically all the same stuff, isn't it?

• Sponsored links:

• I deplore this festival and any others that are inhumane to animals of any kind. the chinese do seem inhumane of their treatment of animals and why I won't eat chinese food anymore!

having said that, I'm sure they would point to our dairy industry and accuse us of being equally cruel. they may have a point.

They could also point to the huge amounts of people who protest against this horrible, horrible festival.

• Won't even get in to my thoughts on Yulin as its already been said a few times above.

As for eating dogs, though most people will try to say it's no different to eating a cow etc. as will veggies. There is a definite difference, saw an advert recently designed to make you think about where the 'line' of acceptable to eat is, cow, pigs, chicken one side then moved over to horse, rabbit, cat, dog, within a second I'd put the line by the horse. I'm sure some won't like it but I have no problem whatsoever eating a pig/ cow. I have no attachment to an animal like that, not to say I wouldn't try to help one if I saw it suffering but it doesn't even compare to a dog or cat
  • Oggy Red said:

MrOneLung said:

........ but no difference between dog meat, horse meat, cow meat in my opinion.

Or human meat. Meat is biologically all the same stuff, isn't it?

If I was in a plane crash on The Andes would definitely eat human meat to survive.
  • edited June 2016
    PaddyP17 said:

Only in a survival situation. I detest this practice, made even worse by the inhumane way a lot of these animals are tortured during the proccess.

A truly insensitive race of people

A truly insensitive race?

As someone who is in fact ethnically Chinese, would it be unreasonable for me to call you out on how you've worded that? Cos quite frankly that sounds like a racial generalisation which I and many others would be unhappy with, if that was the case...

But Yulin is a fucking abominable practice and I hope authorities are able to crack down.
    A very fair challenge, I liked the post based on everything above that line and to be honest, missed the final sentence.

You can't pick out the entire race of people.

It does seem in China there is a lot of insensitivity towards not only animals, but people too.

Those are the videos that get shared on social media like the toddler that gets continually ignored whilst being hit by two separate vehicles:

link to the story...

This will no doubt be played down as some kind of media propaganda against the country, whilst it is unfortunately more of an issue that is spreading throughout the entire world.

We are all becoming more insensitive to the things we see, it just seems some of the biggest nations in the world are already far more insensitive.

That's the world returning to a more barbaric time and not solely those living in China.

Won't even get in to my thoughts on Yulin as its already been said a few times above.

As for eating dogs, though most people will try to say it's no different to eating a cow etc. as will veggies. There is a definite difference, saw an advert recently designed to make you think about where the 'line' of acceptable to eat is, cow, pigs, chicken one side then moved over to horse, rabbit, cat, dog, within a second I'd put the line by the horse. I'm sure some won't like it but I have no problem whatsoever eating a pig/ cow. I have no attachment to an animal like that, not to say I wouldn't try to help one if I saw it suffering but it doesn't even compare to a dog or cat

I assume you mean this sign...

I think I generally agree, however I also don't eat lamb or veal.
  • Sometimes I wished I lived in Yulin - friggin dog in the flat next to me barks all the time.
    At least humans don't bark ...........

Exactly. There's no excuse for inhumane treatment of animals but any one of us who drinks milk is party to some despicable practices.
  • Sometimes I wished I lived in Yulin - friggin dog in the flat next to me barks all the time.
    At least humans don't bark ...........

You've obviously never been up The Venue on a Saturday night.