Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Hardest Decision - But who for?

I am aware we have an EU discussion thread (that has become more of an arguement and spouting crap thread). So if this should be in there then feel free to close this discussion.

But I just wanted to argue something a bit different, that this decision is near impossible.
I have strongly supported leave for many years and will continue to do so even though I've realised this.

But this article got me thinking...
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/03/21/eu-referendum-who-in-britain-wants-to-leave-and-who-wants-to-rem/
Does anyone really understand the weight of each side of the vote?

Interestingly the most likely supporter of remain is arguably the furthest away from the issues. They are young, rich and live in Scotland.
Then the most likely supporter of leave is relatively poor in comparison and live by the coast towards Europe (so probably more effected by immigration etc.).

Then the part that causes the issue to be more difficult to decide upon is the fact that remain supporters are genuinely better educated. So are they just your usual rich out of touch bunch or are they genuinely well studied in the benefits of EU membership?
However, that then reminds me of how selfish and greedy the rich are and that throughout history they just take advantage of the poor.

I feel like in my mind my views are actually mixed. But when it comes to my heart feeling I just can't believe the rich lot coming out in support of remain such as Clarkson and May, Lord Sugar, most Labour and Tory MPs. Whereas when I've met people who actually experience the harsh downsides of EU membership in which they may not be losing their jobs but they have to get by on much lower wages than previously, I just feel they are our priority.

I feel like being relatively middle class has opened my eyes to the fact that the rich can quite easily protect themselves and eachother, whereas the poor don't have anything. An example is the NHS, both Labour and Conservatives have caused its privatisation (a domestic issue not EU), but it shows that they are out of touch. Those who are wealthy like MPs of both the two main parties most likely get private healthcare so I don't see how they can tell others the NHS isn't effected by migrants when they have no experience of using the health service.

So to conclude;
Being young and at university I've been told and taught of the benefits to the economy that the EU brings, but once I get down to seeing and hearing what the people lowest down in class see its a completely different story. I'm personally voting against Inequality and in favour of what I believe will help those most in need.

Wanted to know what you guys think about the article and the views I've made. So that's why I've put this in its own thread, this isn't a debate over IN or OUT, but just wanted to spark thought into you all over who we are voting in favour of (i.e poor or rich, educated or uneducated, etc.).

So please focus on that I don't want this to be the same debate as on the EU Referendum thread.

Comments

• So please focus on that I don't want this to be the same debate as on the EU Referendum thread.

Dont worry... It will be ;)
  • The risks of Brexit are far greater for the poorest too, economic decline, unemployment, further public spending cuts, higher prices for basic goods etc
  • I've met people who actually experience the harsh downsides of EU membership in which they may not be losing their jobs but they have to get by on much lower wages than previously, I just feel they are our priority.

The contents of the article provide no surprises really.
    But while I'm sure it's convenient for people to blame the EU for their woes, it's not born out by the facts.
    Even the Joseph Rowntree Foundation, a champion of the poor, has concluded that the EU and the lower wages accepted by EU migrants has had minimal impact on wages.
    https://jrf.org.uk/report/eu-referendum-and-uk-poverty
    You'll see that they also say that any devaluation of the £ post-Brexit will have a disproportionly bad effect on the poorest.
  • Mate, it's a good post but I'd be really grateful if you could copy it into the Brexit thread, thanks
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!