Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Spain v Turkey 3rd goal

Have I missed a rule change? How was that not offside?

Comments

• Are u Turkish?
  • Why is Turkey keeper wearing same shirt as the outfield players?
  • Redhenry said:

Are u Turkish?

Not Turkish just confused. Forward pass, no-one between the scorer and the goal. Isn't that offside?
  • Definitely offside, but it's Spain so you can't stop beautiful football or even notice it, if you are paid thousands of pounds to commentate on it!!
  • edited June 2016
    Yeah it was odd. A beautifully worked goal but was offside & it wasn't even mentioned
  • Not offside. He was actually slightly behind Iniesta when Iniesta passed to him. So, even though he was ahead of the last defender, he wasn't ahead of the ball.
  • the rule has changed a lot over the years but that's never been offside

Onside.
  • He was offside. Great move though.
  • Sponsored links:

• He's behind iniesta when iniesta passes the ball, lost count the number of times these types of goal have been disallowed on a Saturday and Sunday when I've been playing..

If that's the pass your on about, onside, always has been.
  • The law does not say the ball has to be passed forward.
    Look it up.
  • How sad am I. I can still quote the offside law word-for-word from my days of refereeing (the terminology has since changed but the sentiments are the same) - "A player is off-side if he is nearer his opponents goal-line than the ball when it was last played; except, if he receives the ball from a corner, goal-kick, throw-in (and used to be drop ball), or he is in his own half of the field of play.

Seth is correct - you can be off-side if the ball is played backwards. Explanations later if nobody fails to work it out!
  • Utterly brilliant move, the way they keep the ball constantly moving is great to watch. Obviously not a comparison but when Poyet came into the team a couple of years ago he brought some of that to us, God knows what happened to him this year.
  • edited June 2016
    mrbligh said:

the pass before that one was where the offside was

Probably *just* offside.

• The Vardy goal was an interesting angle on the offside shenanigans. When I was a kid that kind of event would be described as goal hanging.
  • I thought Iniesta was offside when he received the ball so, my thought was they were both offside. Not that it affected the result. PS I was never a referee but I did argue with them a lot.
  • edited June 2016
    PeterGage said:

How sad am I. I can still quote the offside law word-for-word from my days of refereeing (the terminology has since changed but the sentiments are the same) - "A player is off-side if he is nearer his opponents goal-line than the ball when it was last played; except, if he receives the ball from a corner, goal-kick, throw-in (and used to be drop ball), or he is in his own half of the field of play.

Seth is correct - you can be off-side if the ball is played backwards. Explanations later if nobody fails to work it out!

It would be unusual if the intended receiving player was in front of the ball, but the ball was played backwards by the other player! It would be a fairly rubbish pass really as it would go nowhere near him!
  • "It would be unusual if the intended receiving player was in front of the ball, but the ball was played backwards by the other player! It would be a fairly rubbish pass really as it would go nowhere near him!"

Those were the passes I got all the time!
  • PeterGage said:

How sad am I. I can still quote the offside law word-for-word from my days of refereeing (the terminology has since changed but the sentiments are the same) - "A player is off-side if he is nearer his opponents goal-line than the ball when it was last played; except, if he receives the ball from a corner, goal-kick, throw-in (and used to be drop ball), or he is in his own half of the field of play.

It would be unusual if the intended receiving player was in front of the ball, but the ball was played backwards by the other player! It would be a fairly rubbish pass really as it would go nowhere near him!
    Pretty close to the answer - A forward (player A) is in an onside position with the ball, sees his colleague (player B) in a more advance position but offside. Player A plays the ball across the goalmouth (but in a backwards trajectory), and player B moves backwards and intercepts the ball. Being offside when the ball was played, the referee rightly call player B off-side.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2016
    PeterGage said:

PeterGage said:

Pretty close to the answer - A forward (player A) is in an onside position with the ball, sees his colleague (player B) in a more advance position but offside. Player A plays the ball across the goalmouth (but in a backwards trajectory), and player B moves backwards and intercepts the ball. Being offside when the ball was played, the referee rightly call player B off-side.
    I imagine that scenario might happen if player A passed the ball across and backwards for player C (who was behind the ball), but player B ran back to receive it instead!

Player B would then get a real earbashing from his colleagues!
  • You can get these kinds of offsides following a short corner.