Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• Options
    That did cross my mind !
  • Options
    It was also said on twitter that they were doing it so that the Croatian FA would be fined by UEFA. Guessing this is the reason.
  • Options
    Croatia's manager and players on the trouble

"I call it terror. I call them hooligans. They are not supporters. Their place is not in the stadium. These are sports terrorists – and they do what they want to do. It hurts so much. The 95% of Croatian supporters are ashamed in front of Europe. Our players are really sad."

Ivan Perisic said: "Maybe it's best that we don't play at all than that these things keep happening"

Ivan Rakitic added: "We’ll have to see if we can play against Spain. Maybe we’ll have to go home. We don’t play behind closed doors for no reason.”

Captain Darijo Srna also moved to decry the actions of some fans.

"I have no words for what happened today," he said. "Time and again it happens and nothing is done."
  • Options
    Some Croatian fans on social media alleging that the French were warned in advance that this was going to kick off, and were even given a list of names.
  • Options

Some Croatian fans on social media alleging that the French were warned in advance that this was going to kick off, and were even given a list of names.

They interviewed a British journalist on 5 Live who said stewards started lining up in front of those fans about 5mins before it happened.
  • Options
    All the reports I have from Czechs at the games are that there is zero security. They cannot understand this, because security searches are routine at "big" Czech games. For sure when I went to Sparta v Krasnodar in March, there was a thorough search, and for what? 18,000 crowd of whom less than 100 were from the visitors whose home is way down in the south of Russia.

I really like France, and want them to have a great event to lift the country, but I can't understand how they are messing this up, when so much is at stake.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Must have had my bag searched 5 or 6 times yesterday getting on and off trains, around the ground, getting into the ground and even on the train after. Was also given a thorough frisking.

Don't know how I could have got a flare in.
  • Options
    What happened?
  • Options
    Flares - so 1970s!

Seriously though, the organisation of stewarding and police behaviour has been shocking. The French FA need to be given the warnings!
  • Options

Must have had my bag searched 5 or 6 times yesterday getting on and off trains, around the ground, getting into the ground and even on the train after. Was also given a thorough frisking.

Don't know how I could have got a flare in.

There's an obvious answer to that.....
  • Options
    We were pretty cursorily (is that a word?) hand searched on way in to England and NI games - no scanners, no dogs. Tighter security at CAFC last season, I would say.

Quite worrying, really, especially when added to chaos of crowd management outside stadia -eg took almost an hour to get onto tram shuttle from Lyon stadium to city centre yesterday. The few staff around seemed surprised that tens of thousands of people all turned up at once. Meanwhile I spotted some police lurking behind the bushes, doing nothing, but no doubt had tear gas and batons at the ready...
  • Options
    That poor steward must have had his life flash before his eyes when that flare exploded about an inch from his face!
  • Options
    I was at the match & searches were minimal. You could easy carry flares in strapped to your legs
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2016
    Was there yesterday. Some were saying it had something to do with the 86th minute and the riot police turned up 5 mins before like all good soldiers. It looked like hell in that end.

I have been to 5 grounds and apart from Saint Denis there areas of the grounds where you could easily throw things over the 7ft fences to fellow lunatics already past security.

• Options
    As soon as I saw it and hered it was a protest I felt their pain. does anyone know why they were protesting?
  • Options

As soon as I saw it and hered it was a protest I felt their pain. does anyone know why they were protesting?

Dissatisfaction with the Croatian FA and those running it (who appear to make Duchatelet look like a top bloke!)
  • Options
    NugNug
    edited June 2016
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Dissatisfaction with the Croatian FA and those running it (who appear to make Duchatelet look like a top bloke!)
    Surprised we have not sent a fact finding mission...
  • Options
    Here's an explanation from the other side: http://www.ultras-tifo.net/news/4392-torcida-explained-why-did-croatian-ultras-throw-flares-at-euro.html

Zdravko Mamić , who is the current executive director of our Football federation, is at the moment pending criminal charges for misuse of position and authority, bribery and embezzling , of over 15.1 million Euros. He was charged for embezzling money in the following way: at the time of a players transfer, he would sign an annex to the professional contract in which the player would have the right to 50% of the total amount of future transfer fees, even though in reality the player did not have any claim to that money. The club would then pay that money to the player, and the player would return the money in cash to Zdravko Mamic or other members of his family.

When the manager of the Croatian national team was not obedient to him, Zdravko Mamic fired him and installed two of his “puppets”, Davor Suker as the Football Federation president, Ante Cacic, (who was at the time coach of GNK Dinamo B team called FC Lokomotiva), while at the same time naming himself as the executive director

It is estimated that he gets 40.000 Euros overall from the players for every win and 20.000 Euros for every draw on EURO 2016 in France, all made as cash payments.

A good example is the former Arsenal FC striker Eduardo Da Silva. He was not willing to make cash payments to Zdravko Mamic anymore and took the whole thing to court. According to his usurious contract, he had to pay 40% of his total earnings. Due to the fact that Zdravko Mamic had through the football federation paid numerous fees for “financial consultation” to at least two County Court judges (Jasna Smiljancic and Ivica Veselic), from the very beginning it was obvious that Eduardo did not stand a chance in Croatian courts.

Zdravko Mamic still rules the Croatian Football Federation and gets to pick a coach as well as all the players. Remember Alen Halilovic, the 20 year old FC Barcelona “wunderkind”, who had a great year playing for Real Sporting de Gijon. He is not a part of the squad on EURO 2016, because he ended his relationship with Zdravko Mamic on bad terms and allegedly does not give him a cut of the earnings. Another good example is the aforementioned 26 year old Liverpool FC defender Dejan Lovren. A player who was in the starting line-up at this years’ UEFA Europa League final against FC Sevilla, was also not invited to EURO 2016 team, because he refused “to be obedient” and spoke out in public.

Currently, a total of 16 out of 23 national team player, allegedly have usurious contracts with Zdravko Mamic, which means that he gets a cut of all earnings, salaries, bonuses and transfer fees they make.

It all sounds like a complete mess. What better stage to protest on than in front of millions at the Euros?
  • Options
    What happened to the protest in the 30th min.

No ifs or buts I thought.
  • Options
    Cheeky little flick off the outside of the boot by Kalinic to equalise. Lovely cross from Perisic too.