Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lower Back Pain

Jesus, yday I took the most innocuous slip, literally was nothing, my back seemed to seize. Managed to get the little fella to nursery, later in the afternoon it went tips up.
Couldn't do anything and still can't.
Trying to stand up is ridiculous and when I do its agony. Laid on the floor on my back all night as can't seem to sit in a chair comfy.
Obviously googled it and all that and have chiropractor booked today.
Dreading it, never had an issue with back before and never been to see chiropractor.
Feel like a right twat indoors, can't do anything.
Anyone else had this, any advice.
Yours
Struggling from Falconwood

Comments

• Options
    Done the same several times. Last time it was just stepping over some files in the office. Chiropractor should work as its what I always do now - better than going to the docs who just give anti inflamatories and painkillers.
  • Options
    Yes, I've had odd back problems since my early 20s, I have terrible posture due to hereditary achilles problems, and I also tend to be pretty active. I've mostly had back spasms, where you basically can't move for a couple days. A heating pad and some sort of NSAID, over the counter pain killers like Naproxen and Ibuprofen are wonderful. Never tried a chiropractor but always wanted to.

Hope you feels better!
  • Options
    I never use heat. Always use ice pack (bag of frozen peas works). Need to reduce swelling and ice is the thing.
  • Options
    Cheers fellas
  • Options
    Do you suffer from back pain anyway and this has made it worse or is this a one off?
  • Options
    One off, usually pretty active but haven't done much for a couple of weeks now, Sat down watching football more recently especially the weekend.
    I couldn't have slipped much more than 2'' if that yday.
    Said to the missus felt uncomfortable in my shoulders last few mornings when I've woken up but this is all at Base of spine up to bottom of ribs.
  • Options

I never use heat. Always use ice pack (bag of frozen peas works). Need to reduce swelling and ice is the thing.

Good point, and I suppose is depends on what is causing the pain. The reason for the heat is to try to "loosen" the muscles by drawing more blood to the area. I associate ice with being post-workout or exertion to try to keep the swelling down and reduce the pain.
  • Options
    I'd did something similar Thursday last week running (slow jog) the agility course with one my dogs and he bailed out of one of the hurdles so I put the brakes on, a tiny slip on the grass and I've never pain like it. I couldn't even catch my breath for a second or two, never suffered with any back problems and certainly wouldn't want to after that. After ten minutes or so I could straighten up and twinges all day the next day it had returned to normal, I still have no idea what I did but you have had the pain I did all night, then you must be really suffering. Although I did mention to my wife that my powers of recovery I put down to my remarkable levels of fitness. ;)
    Get well soon.
  • Options

Chiropractor should help (& did me) but what really fixed me up for the long term was good old NHS Physio. You'll have to wait for it, it will only run for several weeks, but you get brilliant real-world advice, sensible exercises and no fees

Can take me up to a week to get a doctors appointment let alone get referred for physio.

Reckon I'll be up to a month waiting for that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Last time for me it took just one chiropractor visit and then using the ice pack for 10 mins 3 or 4 times. Hospital physios are great but takes ages to see one.
  • Options

Chiropractor should help (& did me) but what really fixed me up for the long term was good old NHS Physio. You'll have to wait for it, it will only run for several weeks, but you get brilliant real-world advice, sensible exercises and no fees

Can take me up to a week to get a doctors appointment let alone get referred for physio.

Reckon I'll be up to a month waiting for that.
    Yep. 'fraid so. Ironically for me the NHS was a last resort, after several bouts of private treatments that turned out to be quick fixes. I'd still go through the process but you may need something - chiropractor/painkillers/etc to get you through that month
  • Options
    Physio is often very good at solving back problems. It's usually muscular issues, core strength, hip flexors etc that cause the problems and they can usually be straightened out with stretching and gentle strengthening exercises.

NHS can be difficult though. I was given a 16 week wait and 3 session limit so ended up going private through work's health insurance.
  • Options
    Bexley Osteopathic Clinic sorted me out with a similar problem some years ago, 01322529326.

Highly recommended. Good luck.
  • Options
    Cheers mate.
  • Options
    Did something similar in September last year. Beware of prolonged use of ibuprofen. After 4-5 days my stomach decided it didn't like them anymore - not pleasant.
  • Options
    Chiro will definitely sort you out,you think it's going to be painful when they 'click' everything back into place but weirdly,it isn't. I've had lower back problems for years,very similar symptoms to yours and my back man always sorts it out. I have also displaced a rib(rib pops out of your spine),THAT smarted,but again,chiro sorted it. Hope you are pain free by this evening!
  • Options
    Had my first major incident last year, bent down to pick up a folder and my back just collapsed on me, i was at work at the time had to be helped home. Turns out my hips and pelvis were misaligned so my back muscles had basically tensed up and was holding me up for years until they finally gave up. Had physio etc on for 3 months seemed to help. Last month felt a similar twinge in back which culminated in sciatica in my right leg ever since. On cocodamol and naproxen for the pain right now, it's a right bitch
  • Options
    I've suffered on and off from what was diagnosed as sciatica since my late teens. It seems to affect me more when I'm carrying extra timber.

When I lost a ton of weight 5-6 years ago, my back improved a lot until last year when it caught up on me out of the blue when I got my running kit out of the washing machine.

Took 3 months to get full movement back, was in all kinds of trouble.

The GP didnt want to know and just offered pain killers so I went private to get a second opinion. After a CT scan, it was clear I've got a right-sided bulge of my L5/S1 discs (very common) which had caused what we thought was the right-sided sciatica. Its genetic so is my parents fault!

I got referred to a physio and the work on my core has improved my back again and touch wood its the best it has felt in 20 years.
  • Options
    Can be anything but I found a combination of hot and cold works well to reduce inflammation. This sounds like a muscle problem in which case any manipulation is going to help unfortunately I have wear and tear on the lower back hence I have to nurse myself through everything I do which is literally a pain.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Am no doctor, but had something very similar - hooked a ball out of play and it seized up, didn't jar it or anything. Found that it just takes time and ibuprofen... or stronger if they give it to you (I was on Naproxen and Diazepam).

Don't try to come back to sport too soon, it'll probably take a while.
  • Options
    Something similar happened to me only last week - pulled something in my lower back while taking off my jeans.

Happy to say I was fine after 48 hours.
  • Options
    I know a bit about back pain. I suffered with it for about 27 years. Numerous visits to the GP resulted in a few idiotic diagnoses. 'you're tall'! 'bad posture' It'll clear-up soon' 'take some painkillers'
    Eventually I had MR scan (privately) It showed spurs on the Lumbar vertabrae. Caused by years of inflammation making the bone grow erratically.
    Beyond having a major and very risky operation, no cure. So I became resigned to a life on anti-inflammatories.

When I retired from work, within two years the pain all but disappeared. The worst I get now is after a particularly strenuos day, is a dull ache which clears overnight.

The joy of retirement..... :)
  • Options
    I had back pain on and off for about 10 years or more, which always turned into sciatica, severe pain down my right leg.

it was a lower disc that kept popping out and pressed against the sciatic nerve.

I often went to an osteopath but not convinced it did that much.

the last time it happen, I was offered and operation, to shave off the protruding disc. sought second opinion and was warned against going under the knife. so I went with a steroid injection in my lower back and it did the trick, immediately.

I haven't had any problems to speak of since and that must of been about 7 years ago.
  • Options

Bexley Osteopathic Clinic sorted me out with a similar problem some years ago, 01322529326.

Highly recommended. Good luck.

Endorse this and my back issue was caused by poor seating posture, and being unfit and trying to do football coaching when in my 50s. My back literally 'locked' while at work, and ironically I was working on a medical magazine at the time. Took me 5 weeks to get back to work, ( self employed as a consultant at the time, and not paid) and had to have a series of sessions at 'Westerns'. The staff were excellent, eventually got referred to NHS physio which I am afraid gave me a series of exercises to do, very little manipulation. It does flare up from time to time, as I have been diagnosed with a 'prolapsed disc' damage. Still at almost 65 I guess my football training days are over, which is a pity.
    If it persists get it treated properly.
    Considering doing walking football, but I would find it hard not to break into a jog and end up in casualty again. Pathetic really.
  • Options
    Daggs said:

I know a bit about back pain. I suffered with it for about 27 years. Numerous visits to the GP resulted in a few idiotic diagnoses. 'you're tall'! 'bad posture' It'll clear-up soon' 'take some painkillers'
    Eventually I had MR scan (privately) It showed spurs on the Lumbar vertabrae. Caused by years of inflammation making the bone grow erratically.
    Beyond having a major and very risky operation, no cure. So I became resigned to a life on anti-inflammatories.

When I retired from work, within two years the pain all but disappeared. The worst I get now is after a particularly strenuos day, is a dull ache which clears overnight.

The joy of retirement..... :)

Unfortunately, in my experience GPs really aren't much good with backs. They're usually happy to fob you off with painkillers. Sciatica is a symptom, not an ailment, but they just give you pills until it goes away which it generally will after a few months of rest. They rarely bother to get to the root cause of the issue.

Everybody here is right to suggest physio or chiropractor treatment. See an expert, not a generalist.
  • Options
    Have a feeling I've got a touch of sciatica based on my symptoms and what I've read on line. Got a sharp pain at the top of the left buttock, but the killer is a throbbing pain, very intense around my left shin/calf.

Haven't really got time to see a doctor at the moment, how long does this shit usually last. It's been really ferocious last couple of days, especially at work when sitting down
  • Options
    Sadly cabs there is no quick fix. I suffer with it thankfully only once or twice a year but when it does flare up the only fix for me is anti inflammatory tablets and 24 hours rest.

You need to monitor it if the pain is going down your legs so keep an eye on it.
  • Options

Sadly cabs there is no quick fix. I suffer with it thankfully only once or twice a year but when it does flare up the only fix for me is anti inflammatory tablets and 24 hours rest.

You need to monitor it if the pain is going down your legs so keep an eye on it.

Cheers mike. I only just had it last few days. The pain runs all the way down, a real throbbing pain along the side of the shin/calf area. Does it mean something if it runs down the leg??
  • Options
    Tricky one. After having a knee operation to mend my anterior cruciate ligament which I had stupidly snapped, I have had a lot of Physio.

Now, I get a lot of pain when I push the muscles but I have been taught how to relieve it.

I'd recommend a few sessions with a sports Physio, I use Vanbrugh physio close to maze hill station. Done me a power of good.