Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

More games in the JPT - PL Academy Teams Involved

Comments

• Options

Great, imagine being beaten 3-0 by Palace U21's.

Go wash your mouth out!!!
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:

I suppose that would have to be at the actual home ground of the senior teams. Hope we get to go to the Olympic Stadium.

I think you may find the Prem teams will be away if against a FL club, and will only play a home game if they draw another Prem team.

Could be the case that the 16 Prem teams are spread across the 16 groups meaning the FL teams are guaranteed 2home games
    One team FL side will play at a Premier U21 side. Can't see it being a training ground as some fans will want to go. At worst it will be a local non-league ground.
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:

I suppose that would have to be at the actual home ground of the senior teams. Hope we get to go to the Olympic Stadium.

I think you may find the Prem teams will be away if against a FL club, and will only play a home game if they draw another Prem team.

Could be the case that the 16 Prem teams are spread across the 16 groups meaning the FL teams are guaranteed 2home games
    Hope the PL team covers the costs of opening and staffing the ground if that's the case.

Not as if they'll be sell outs that are revenue generators for the lower league clubs.
  • Options
    Yep, we really should play our U21s in games against PL U21s. It will save PL clubs the cost of a visit to the academy before they tap up our kids (as they are allowed to do, as long as we're not Cat One).
  • Options
    I wonder what game residents of newham will get an opportunity to go to.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    I like the JPT, but I'm not overly fussed by this, in part because in my list of qualms with the PL, FL, and FA, this is so far down there. This is PL clubs exerting their power and influence, no surprise there. It also creates even more fixture congestion without any real regard for the clubs in their league by the Football League, so no surprise there either.

All that said, the set-up for the League Trophy is quite niche anyway--just L1 and L2, so why not mix it up a bit? I for one am very much looking forward to Man City's U21 group of extremely talented, extremely lightweight foreigners going away to Oldham on a Tuesday night.

If nothing else, it'll be interesting to watch, at least at first, and then you realize there are two more "group games" plus a knock-out phase and the novelty will have worn off.
  • Options
    Jodaius said:

How to take a competition which few people care about and make it even more irrelevant.

My worry is it's the thin end of the wedge, and will pave the way for B teams in other competitions. Think the fans need to take a stand on this one and boycott the competition entirely.

To be fair, last time we played in the JPT the vast majority of fans boycotted the competition through complete apathy anyway
  • Options
    Apparently only 5 clubs voted against it. Why on earth are all the other clubs accepting this?!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2016
    I don't like it, the JPT for us is a trophy which holds very little importance because we deem ourselves too big, but for other clubs it is a competition they can succeed in with the possibility of a trip to Wembley. With the Premier League exerting their power and adding their U21's teams they are painting the picture that the tournament is a "joke" and is a competition with low importance. Makes you wonder if there is even a point competing in the first place.

Is it only us that play in the Kent Senior Cup ?
  • Options
    It will flop as the games will just be treated like a glorified friendly. Can an u21 team win the Football League trophy?

Hopefully the PL clubs are paying for the hosting to all games not like they can't afford it
  • Options
    Not sure which tournament is more ridiculous and pointless, this or the Scottish Challenge Cup, which also has a new format. They're putting in u20s, non-league teams and clubs from Wales and Northern Ireland.

• Options
    Perhaps we could opt out of the JPT and try to get the Aetolian League resurrected. Crockenhill 3 Charlton A. 'A' 0.
  • Options
    Ridiculous idea. 80,000 at Wembley Final for Man Utd U21 v Chelsea U21 in what is a Football League competition. Bonkers. I think most football, league fans will be against this idea and I've already read a number of articles from fans of various clubs opposing it.
  • Options
    Voted on in Portugal?
    A way to give meaning to clubs like Chelsea who hoover up every player going, even though they will not break through at Chelsea or whoever.
    Completely crap idea unless....
    ....unless clubs ballot supporters to become registered players, the game kicks off with five supporters, and in the first minute you make your three sub's and bring on three more supporters.
    Now that's blue sky thinking.
  • Options
    Hartlepool's Chairman also voted against.
  • Options
    The BBC article names the five clubs. No surprise we weren't one of those, any chance for more income moves us closer to the main objective of breaking even.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36503204

We won't but we should just use it to play our own u21s.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Being in the JPT is another reminder of our relegation.
  • Options
    Its a shame because the JPT is the one chance that League One / League Two teams have of a trip to Wembley other than for a Play-Off Final.

The top flight teams get enough opportunities as it is to go to Wembley (FA Cup / League Cup) so leave this one alone.

If they have to change anything then go back to the JPT including the top 12-Conference Teams and have three teams being relegated from League Two to the Conference!!
  • Options
    I'm more concerned about the 4 divisions of 20 teams plan being voted on next year that will have a significant on income with 4 less home games a season and am guessing that the expansion of the JPT will be used to counter this - either way its wrong and a further nail in the coffin for football outside the premier league
  • Options
    Best idea is to completely boycott the games against the under 21 teams. Although we don't get big attendances anyway at least it won't affect smaller clubs from getting income they might budget for.
  • Options

Boycott!

Edrich