Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Hopper's Hut Micropub, Sidcup

Preview opening this weekend in Invicta Parade (top of Sidcup Hill).

Hope it goes well as it will be my local pub.

Comments

• Options
    Surprised it's taken this long for One to crop up in Sidcup
  • Options
    I don't think I have ever seen a micropub. I imagine they occupy a space the size of a key cutters/shoe repairers and there is room for about two customers.
  • Options
    Excellent news. Will be local to me too, although I'm the other side of Sidcup. Will definitely try it out.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

Am I in the minority that thinks the beer dished up by these pubs resembles dirty dishwater?

No matter how many times I've tried and still do when my father-in-law drags me to the One Inn The Wood, I just cant get my head around flat beer. I'm surprised its so popular.

Outraged from Cheshire - how dare you!! Beer is meant to be flat. If you want bubbles then drink champagne.

(granted, some of it does taste like dishwater)
  • Options
    Years ago I liked beer a lot. It was possible to get a beer made by Gales which originated down south somewhere and it was lovely.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good news and will try it out it have to agree - it's like going to a beer festival - you haven't heard of the beers mainly because they aren't good enough - or an acquired taste
  • Options

Just when you think the place couldn't get anymore up its own arse.....

;-)

I have thought many things about Sidcup, but being up its own arse has never been one of them
  • Options
    Glad to hear this. Will pop along as soon as I can. God knows Sidcup needs something.
  • Options
    @JohnBoyUK -- I love my beer, as my Instagram/Facebook feed will testify, but must admit, I'm with you...I struggle with cask ales and just don't get the attraction...but give me a keg beer (i.e. USA / UK new wave craft beer), hopped up and actually with a bit of flavour, and I'm there.... Give me a pint of fosters/stella/carling etc though and it's going on the floor :-)
  • Options

@JohnBoyUK -- I love my beer, as my Instagram/Facebook feed will testify, but must admit, I'm with you...I struggle with cask ales and just don't get the attraction...but give me a keg beer (i.e. USA / UK new wave craft beer), hopped up and actually with a bit of flavour, and I'm there.... Give me a pint of fosters/stella/carling etc though and it's going on the floor :-)

When I was in the US recently, I tried a few of the local beers. Most were IPAs I think. Is that a craft beer? If so, I liked some of them. Ha and I thought I was being adventurous :)
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Vincenzo said:

Glad to hear this. Will pop along as soon as I can. God knows Sidcup needs something.

Sidcup is bloody marvelous, but i'll admit the pub scene doesn't exactly get the juices flowing. Lots of opportunity there
  • Options
    And I'd love to open a micropub that caters for the Lager lovers like me.
  • Options
    @JohnBoyUK whether it was 'craft' or not depends on the brewer...typically craft relates to a producer who puts out anything less than 6m barrels a year (which seems a very high number to me - the whole idea is that you can 'know' what went into the production of each barrel) and is less than 25% owned by an international brewer...so Brooklyn Brewery (which you see everywhere) is a craft brewery, even though it is a massive, mechanised, operation...as is Boston Brewery (Boston Lager anyone?)... But IPAs are what the US is primarily know for...just that they tend to carbonate (keg) theirs, whilst the tradtional (English) way is to cask it and let any carbonation occur naturally...(i.e it's pretty flat..).
  • Options
    Sidcup is well stocked with 'clubs' rather than pubs around the high street end - united services, cons club, Sidcup rec - the pubs aren't great because most local 'drinkers' don't really drink in them - the portrait is probably the best pub - the taylors chalk seems to be more for people needing a drink than enjoying one. Micro pub will be a good addition though what is really missing now is a Chinese restaurant rather than a takeaway
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I've no idea how it is classified......but I'm all over Beavertown Neck Oil whenever I find it.
  • Options
    I don't understand people complaining about the pubs in Sidcup, you have the Charcoal Burner.
  • Options

Vincenzo said:

Sidcup is bloody marvelous, but i'll admit the pub scene doesn't exactly get the juices flowing. Lots of opportunity there
    I grew up there, AFKA, but I've never thought of it as marvellous. MInd you that was *cough* quite a long time ago.
  • Options
    it's (currently) most definitely 'craft' @SuedeAdidas ...
  • Options

I've no idea how it is classified......but I'm all over Beavertown Neck Oil whenever I find it.

It's craft because it's from a small brewer. It's a lovely drop too.
  • Options

Just when you think the place couldn't get anymore up its own arse.....

;-)

Couldn't agree more mate

Are they showing Top Gear on big screen next week anyone know?
  • Options
    Let's look at the evidence.....

Waitrose Mini......up its own arse

Still not 'let' Blockbusters......the arse/elbow of London

Maybe it's somewhere between the 2
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Years ago I liked beer a lot. It was possible to get a beer made by Gales which originated down south somewhere and it was lovely.

If I remember, Gales brewery was in the Portsmouth area or not far away.

They were bought out by Fullers about 10 or 12 years ago and the actual brewery site was soon closed down.
    But can't remember enough to be specific.

Agreed, it was a decent pint, Seth.

• Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

Am I in the minority that thinks the beer dished up by these pubs resembles dirty dishwater?

No matter how many times I've tried and still do when my father-in-law drags me to the One Inn The Wood, I just cant get my head around flat beer. I'm surprised its so popular.

Real ale should not be flat. If it is, send it back. Of course it is not fizzy like mass produced English lager but it should have a certain amount of what is called "condition" and you should experience a little fizz on your tongue when drinking it. It is a misconception that English real ale is flat and warm, it is neither.
  • Options
    There is also another Micropub opening in Sidcup soon. It is on the site of the old school uniform shop along from the old Lamorbey baths towards the Post Office.
    Sorry @AFKABartram!