Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Euro 2016 - The Football Thread

Apologies if I've missed this being started anywhere, I know I'm a couple of days early, but I see threads discussing the tickets, the beer and the TV schedule, but none for the actual main event - the football. So I figured I'd start a thread for all your game related or general tournament chat.

I don't know about you lot, but football hasn't been much fun for me lately. Thank goodness for Leicester's fairly tale otherwise I might have lost interest altogether last year. However, I just finished watching Thierry Henry's documentary on iPlayer and it's given me a good shot of nostalgia, and reminded how much I bloody love an international football tournament. Really looking forward to this one.

All the games are on while I'm at work, but the PVR is set to series record and the beers are in. If I can find the will power to avoid the results during the day (keep your score spoilers in here please) then I should have as much as 4.5 hours of football to watch some evenings! Smashing.

I haven't actually figured out if this can happen, but I'm going for France vs Belgium in the final, France to win on home soil again. England to get to the semi finals, and me to be secretly supporting Belgium as well, because of my great grandad (probably shouldn't admit that on here, I may get burned as a heretic).

Fingers crossed for a trouble free tournament.

Comments

• Options
    Can't contain the excitement now!

Really interested to see what side France go with tomorrow. They have so many attacking options. Can see Giroud now starting with Griezmann and Payet wide, meaning they still have Martial and Coman on the bench'
  • Options
    Really looking forward to it... Love it when the Major Tournaments come around.

Apart from supporting England naturally I'm hoping that the minnows do well (i.e. Iceland / Northern Ireland / Albania) whilst have mixed emotions towards Wales, i.e. they're a Home Nation so want them to do well but at the same time they seem to have a bit of arrogance due to the fact they've got one of the best players in the competition.

Its only Poland I want to see out of the competition though...

That's mainly because of their reporters attitude towards Northern Ireland (i.e. You've got a player from Fleetwood) especially as Fleetwood have bigger attendances than some of the Polish top flight sides
  • Options
    Can't bloody wait for tomorrow. I'm out in Marseille at the moment and got here on Tuesday. Pleasantly surprised would be an understatement, Really loved the city so far. Cannot wait for the football to get started now though! Going to our first game and it's a must win and I think we'll do it. Also got my mug on ITV this morning which was a laugh!
  • Options
    I'm not even sure Belgian people support Belgium !

Can't wait for the tournament, flying over to the South of France for 8 days on Saturday morning, we've got five matches including two Northern Ireland & Belgium v Italy and are staying a few nights each in Nice, Lyon & Marseille.

I'm looking forward to the tournament because there's no massive favourite for me, I think there's six or seven teams that have a great chance and some of the smaller teams now have some star power. I think that has something to do with the Globalisation of football and similar to the Premier League the smaller sides being more competitive should make for a better tournament.
  • Options

Can't contain the excitement now!

Really interested to see what side France go with tomorrow. They have so many attacking options. Can see Giroud now starting with Griezmann and Payet wide, meaning they still have Martial and Coman on the bench'

Embarrassing array of talent considering Benzema, Lacazette and Gameiro aren't in the squad.
    They could potentially struggle at the back though. Varane, Laporte and Zouma all out injured are big losses.
  • Options
    I can't remember a tournament where I felt so little excitement about it beforehand. There's not going to be any beach balls, stress balls, coffins, Pinocchio masks, fancy dress camels, people in rat heads or sofa ripping. It's not the proper football that I'm used to.

Every WC and Euro tournament I organise a some sort of sweepstake (never just a straight draw though). In the build up I get quite excited about this. This year, I only got around to it when people started questioning me about when I'd do it - there was no enthusiasm. I'm not sure whether it's me falling out of love with football (aided by the gruesome twosome and their shenanigans), or whether this year's tourney is the dullest for decades.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Stig said:

I can't remember a tournament where I felt so little excitement about it beforehand. There's not going to be any beach balls, stress balls, coffins, Pinocchio masks, fancy dress camels, people in rat heads or sofa ripping. It's not the proper football that I'm used to.

Every WC and Euro tournament I organise a some sort of sweepstake (never just a straight draw though). In the build up I get quite excited about this. This year, I only got around to it when people started questioning me about when I'd do it - there was no enthusiasm. I'm not sure whether it's me falling out of love with football (aided by the gruesome twosome and their shenanigans), or whether this year's tourney is the dullest for decades.

What made the Euros great (and to an extend what makes the Confederations Cup great fun to watch) is the fact that there arent so many teams as what you'd get in the World Cup and I reckon its partly because of the changes that people are less interested...

Means that you'd get less meaningless group games as we'd have to endure nearly two weeks of getting through the first round of group games from A to H, instead the Euro groups would flash by in an instance and by being open to only the best sixteen teams you'd get great matches nearly every game (with a handful of matches against underdog sides that had made it).

Now though the Euros by being extended to 24-teams means that yes we'll see the best teams and best players but the group stages will drag by... progression to the 2nd round will see more teams advance than those that go home which isn't right.

When you have groups which involve two teams progressing, the matches are really cagey because defeat in your first game means you must get a result in the second if you want to advance... Hopefully in this case teams will surely need to attack because they wont want to be one of the two worst third placed teams but no doubt will be still cagey as they dont want to be the side that finishes bottom!!
  • Options
    Im heading out there tomorrow morning for 13 days, 4 different cities, 6 matches, cannot blooming wait.
  • Options
    Excited that I'll be able to watch a German game in Berlin! Might put a cheeky 50 cents in the jukebox and blast out Three Lions just before kickoff...
  • Options
    Also think that people are caring less and less about the Major Competitions is the fact that its been pointless to try and host one of them... to have even the Euros back in England would give Football a massive lift for a short while.

Of course not saying that England have a given right to host a competition but when you see France hosting yet again and with dodgy voting coming from FIFA and UEFA its no surprise that people dont get more excited for it.

I imagine even less people being excited for Euro 2020 because its being held everywhere rather than one country!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Don't really know too much about top level football these days. Who do people think have the best team of individual players 'on paper'?

Was watching the Thierry Henry Euro's programme last night and was struck with hindsight how much the German / Dutch / French sides of the 80s / 90s were filled with what we now recognise as top players.
  • Options

Excited that I'll be able to watch a German game in Berlin! Might put a cheeky 50 cents in the jukebox and blast out Three Lions just before kickoff...

I think the Germans adopted three lions as their own after they beat England in Euro 96 so I'm sure they'd be delighted !
  • Options

Don't really know too much about top level football these days. Who do people think have the best team of individual players 'on paper'?

Was watching the Thierry Henry Euro's programme last night and was struck with hindsight how much the German / Dutch / French sides of the 80s / 90s were filled with what we now recognise as top players.

Got be Belgium now surely. Courtois in goal with Mignolet as back up, Spurs' Alderweireld and Vertonghen in the back four, De Bruyne had a stonking season for Man City, Dembele was a collusus in the holding role for Spurs, Hazard looked almost back to his best, Lukaku up front. Throw in the likes of Vermaelen, Witsel, Fellaini, Benteke and the highly rated Batshuayi, thats one hell of a squad.

• Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

Got be Belgium now surely. Courtois in goal with Mignolet as back up, Spurs' Alderweireld and Vertonghen in the back four, De Bruyne had a stonking season for Man City, Dembele was a collusus in the holding role for Spurs, Hazard looked almost back to his best, Lukaku up front. Throw in the likes of Vermaelen, Witsel, Fellaini, Benteke and the highly rated Batshuayi, thats one hell of a squad.

Mertens and Nainggolan are both class aswell, they have quality players all over the pitch but for some reason they struggle to play well together. If a manager can get them playing as a coherent unit they would take a lot of stopping, especially with Spain/Germany looking nowhere near their best.
  • Options
    Just about to get on the plane to France - very excited!
  • Options
    For all you fellow Addicks making their way to the Euros,have a fantastic time and stay safe! So jealous!! :smiley:
  • Options
    Never been less fussed about football in my life, at least beer will be cheap for a month though
  • Options
    Looking forward to it, think Spain will scrape through playing poor negative football but will get far, we'll flop in the Quarters, Belgium will do well, Germany efficient as ever, France will be the most exciting team to watch and Italy will surprise a few, a lot of their players have had very good seasons, but I'm unconvinced Pelle is the man to lead them to glory. It will also be interesting to see how far Bale, Ibrahimovic, Ronaldo and Lewandowski can drag their respective teams.

Lastly, watch out for Austria and Switzerland, the central European countries both have a few stand out players but they have great squad togetherness and mental toughness too, and one could be surprising semifinalists in my eyes.
  • Options

The Germans will love Three Lions

Would just remind them of Euro 96 and Kuntz strutting aound
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    as always im very excited for a major tournament to start. this year like with the last few I haven't been so bothered about England. the England team just don't have any personalities I like anymore. probably not helped by the media.

for the tournament I just hope for some underdogs getting a few results against the big teams... got Iceland to win it.
  • Options

as always im very excited for a major tournament to start. this year like with the last few I haven't been so bothered about England. the England team just don't have any personalities I like anymore. probably not helped by the media.

for the tournament I just hope for some underdogs getting a few results against the big teams... got Iceland to win it.

Jamie Vardy??
  • Options

JohnBoyUK said:

Mertens and Nainggolan are both class aswell, they have quality players all over the pitch but for some reason they struggle to play well together. If a manager can get them playing as a coherent unit they would take a lot of stopping, especially with Spain/Germany looking nowhere near their best.
    And you haven't even mentioned Carassco who just scored in a Champions League final !
  • Options
    edited June 2016

Jamie Vardy??
    racist thug turned good? na, harsh on my part. not that keen on the bloke though.
    i hope he stays at Leicester as he said he wouldn't leave whatever came up. if he does imo (if he cares) he would go way down in my view. edit: if he does stay he would go way up in my view. man of his word would be welcome change in the crazy rich fickle world of top football.
  • Options

Can't bloody wait for tomorrow. I'm out in Marseille at the moment and got here on Tuesday. Pleasantly surprised would be an understatement, Really loved the city so far. Cannot wait for the football to get started now though! Going to our first game and it's a must win and I think we'll do it. Also got my mug on ITV this morning which was a laugh!

Was out there this time last year....agree lovely city the views from the hill with the church on it are well worth the walk....it was 80c+ when we were out there. Plenty of decent bars around the Vieux Port and the area called Le Panier is well worth a wander. If you get the chance (and have the time) Cassis is well worth the 20-25min train ride out from St Charles station.
  • Options

Was out there this time last year....agree lovely city the views from the hill with the church on it are well worth the walk....it was 80c+ when we were out there. Plenty of decent bars around the Vieux Port and the area called Le Panier is well worth a wander. If you get the chance (and have the time) Cassis is well worth the 20-25min train ride out from St Charles station.
    I bloody hope it wasn't 80c+ when you were there !

Sounds amazing, we'll end up in Marseille next weekend after visiting Nice & Lyon, can't wait to see it.
  • Options

The Germans will love Three Lions

Would just remind them of Euro 96 and Kuntz strutting aound
    The German's sing Three Lions themselves. For them it's not a song about England, but a song about fußball.
  • Options

Belgium are the most overrated team in world football.

They've never quite got the results to justify the hype, but on paper they have one of the four strongest squads at the competition. They get over rated a bit in England because so many of their player are in the Premier League but, even allowing for that, De Bruyne and Hazard are good enough to do damage to any team and they have several other player that are regular starters for top club side across europe. There won't be many better centre back pairings at the competition.

If they can build a bit of momentum they are capable of winning it, they're probably the best of the dark horses. Would that make them dim horses?
  • Options
    Who are their 'great' players though?
    Hazard - Been arguably shite all season
    Lukaku - Good Striker but Kenwyn Jones had a couple of outstanding seasons
    Benteke - Ditto above
    Feilani - Again arguably just above average Prem Midfielder last 2 seasons
    Be Bruyne - I would class him as a Very good Player, amongst a side of Superstars, possibly their one World Class Player IMO
    Cortois - Very good but wasn't outstanding last season, again, IMO wasn't in top 3 Prem Keepers last year.

Id love to be proved wrong but as per a few on here I believe they are overated.
  • Options
    Should also add, I reckon it'll be a high scoring tournament once the group stages are over. The smaller teams will pack the defence but of the top sides, England are far from alone in having a strong attack but less inspiring defence.