Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Where to watch Euro 2016?

Any suggestions for good pubs etc to watch the Euro 2016 games in? Near Swanley/Dartford would be ideal - or is everybody watching from home?

Comments

• I have no idea why I've put this in not sports related
  • will end up watching more of it indoors this time I reckon, when I go to a pub to watch a game - I never seem to see any of it due to

a) queuing for a beer
    b) queuing for the bog
    c) moving out of the way in the invisible corridor I always seem to stand in to let people past
  • Watching it on my sofa...
  • Indoors for me and hopefully round a few friends houses, my days of watching in pubs are long gone.
  • And breathe
  • edited June 2016
    Ain't watched England in a pub since Argentina 98, fck that, never see any of the game, queueing is ridiculous, inevitable punch up outside the pub at 11pm between someone singing anti IRA songs and someone taking offence to it.
    Nah, takeaway, case of starpramen, projector.

Sorted, can't wait.
  • Anyone seen a good wallchart?

Want to get one to fill in with my daughter but she'll rip a newspaper paper one!
  • I've got next Thursday off so fancy going out to watch the game
  • Sponsored links:

Want to get one to fill in with my daughter but she'll rip a newspaper paper one!

There have been a few that you can download and print from Daily Mail / BBC?
  • Whatever you do, don't watch it in a posh pub that doesn't normally show football - watched the cup final in The Rose in New Cross (formerly The Hobgoblin) - couldn't get the tellys to work, then had sound from BBC Scotland and pics from BBC London, all combined with a clear attitude of "we want the money generated by football, but we don't want your loutish yobbery cluttering up our ever so pretentious gastroboozer."

Sorry @Arsenetatters, this is clearly of no use to you, I've basically hijacked your thread to have a good moan about something that's of no relevance to you whatsoever.

Good luck finding a decent venue for watching games - as others have said, pubs can become a bit of a nightmare during major tournaments, too many bandwagon-jumpers cluttering up the place and boring everyone with their ill-informed opinions.
  • Blimey - I never figured CL types for a bunch of pub dodgers before.
  • the only time ive enjoyed watching England in a pub was opposite borough market at the old kings head. it was a nice day so they put chairs out in the alley and had the tvs outside.

but like what has been said majority of the time you end up in a place full of football tourists (which is better than being in a place full of football wannabe hooligans... looking at you Bermondsey.)

often these football tourists have never seen a live game. like a foreigner speaking English they'll be coming out with broken football talk. using several words they heard on soccer Saturday once and putting them together. "top draw decision that by the linesman, stonewall offside."
    you also have to hear some bloke who seems to think he knows the offside rule (possibly same bloke who came up with that line above) and is trying to explain it to his bored girlfriend who is wearing an England shirt but spends her whole time on her phone.
    then on the rare occasion England score and you go mental there will always be those around you who don't appreciate being soaked in larger.
  • Where in South London would you and your Deserter colleagues recommend for watching England games, @Vincenzo?

For those of us who want to enjoy the buzzing atmosphere of a busy pub, but don't want to spend 20 minutes queueing up every time we need to get a round in.
  • edited June 2016
    I have to agree with @MrLargo about going to pubs that don't normally show football. A) They're just trying to cash in on something they don't give a stuff about; B. They are unlikely to have it loud enough or even bother to turn music off and C) The pubs that you normally watch football in deserve your support.

Having said that, there are a lot of games and I could deffo be tempted by some pubs I really like that are showing games, such as the White Swan in Charlton or the Pelton, where you know it won't be full of idiots - just to contradict myself completely.
  • George staples or jolly fenman for me. Does get very packed though.
  • MrLargo said:

Where in South London would you and your Deserter colleagues recommend for watching England games, @Vincenzo?

For those of us who want to enjoy the buzzing atmosphere of a busy pub, but don't want to spend 20 minutes queueing up every time we need to get a round in.

Funnily enough, we have an article on Euro pubs tomorrow! Though more from the angle of watching a game you're neutral about but alongside people who are not, like in Little Portugal in Stockwell/Vauxhall.

As for England games though, we're watching the Russia game at Dulwich Hamlet Football Ground, but only because we're going to a wedding there in the afternoon. That could well spill out to the Cherry Tree pub nearby by kick off time. The bride is Welsh so it'll be the first wedding I've been to where the football's compulsory.

A pub that isn't crowded for an England game probably isn't a good sign. I'll probably catch one at the Old King's Head in Borough. They often have a telly facing the outside so you can sit out (more likely stand) with the game and a pint in the sunshine (being optimistic).

Might catch an Ireland game at the Lord Clyde too.
  • will be at Russia and wales games, Slovakia game will probably catch up town somewhere as after work, the rest of the games providing we win the group would be friday/Saturday games, so would more than likely watch from home or do bbqs etc.

last day at work today then on 6.35am flight to Marseilles tomorrow morning, as echoed by others hope everyone has a good time out there and a safe one.

• You on the ryanair out of Stansted flight mate ?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2016
    yes sir @Shag 7 of us travelling over on it, then other mates are getting eurostar and some are flying via madrid as worked out considerably cheaper.
  • Vincenzo said:

MrLargo said:

Where in South London would you and your Deserter colleagues recommend for watching England games, @Vincenzo?

Funnily enough, we have an article on Euro pubs tomorrow! Though more from the angle of watching a game you're neutral about but alongside people who are not, like in Little Portugal in Stockwell/Vauxhall.

As for England games though, we're watching the Russia game at Dulwich Hamlet Football Ground, but only because we're going to a wedding there in the afternoon. That could well spill out to the Cherry Tree pub nearby by kick off time. The bride is Welsh so it'll be the first wedding I've been to where the football's compulsory.

A pub that isn't crowded for an England game probably isn't a good sign. I'll probably catch one at the Old King's Head in Borough. They often have a telly facing the outside so you can sit out (more likely stand) with the game and a pint in the sunshine (being optimistic).

Might catch an Ireland game at the Lord Clyde too.
    Can't wait to read the Euro pubs article - I've watched a few Spanish and Portuguese club and international matches in ex-pat bars in London, not very well informed on where you might watch some of the other countries so will be interesting to see what you've come up with.

Old King's Head was on my list of possible venues for England games, Dulwich Hamlet bar could be a good shout if they're open to the public for any games rather than just for weddings/private functions.
  • edited June 2016
    I was thinking of the Swan too Vincenzo as they have a large drop down projector.

Though I am on a hen weekend from tomorrow and whoever has planned the Saturday night hasn't included watching the football and working next Thursday so its all a bit crap for me to start with.

• Having people at mine for the Russia game and then I'm in Tenerife for the Wales game - can't wait.

Got a freebie in my weekend paper, happy to post to you if wanted.
  • edited June 2016
    Indoors for the Russia game, City pub and back to work:-( for Wales, and Albany Park probably for the Slovakia game.
  • Any suggestions for good pubs etc to watch the Euro 2016 games in? Near Swanley/Dartford would be ideal - or is everybody watching from home?

just watch at home with a few mates
  • Watching at home with a few beers
  • Good mate of mine has just built a lovely summerhouse at the back of his garden,got a bar in it,flat screen tv,log burner,L shaped settee and a bbq on the patio,looking forward to Saturday night!
  • You can't beat a pub when England get knocked out and you get to throw your glass at the Tv and have a fight